New phone will not find backup file

CKSedg

Jun 23, 2016, 4:17:19 PM6/23/16
to Tasker
I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S7 and cannot for the life of me make the backup file work.  My older phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 and everything in Tasker worked great.
I have tried everything I know.  I backed up the data to my SD card, moved the SD card to the new phone, and tried to restore.  It says it has copied the file and restored, but there are no task or profiles or variables in the APP.  What am I doing wrong?
I know the data is there, because I can open the file with a reader and see it all.
I also tried backing up to the cloud and restoring from the cloud.  Again, it says it has restored it, but I can't see anything within Tasker.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Craig

kirsc...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2016, 4:42:05 PM6/23/16
to Tasker

The backup-file should to be placed in this folder:

\Tasker\configs\user\

The name is backup.xml...

So this is the total story: \Tasker\configs\user\backup.xml

Robert Ryan

Jun 23, 2016, 4:43:12 PM6/23/16
to Tasker
Try copying the backup file from the SD card to the internal memory of the phone and restore from there. Google instituted a new API for reading and writing to SD cards in Marshmallow, so I am guessing that's what is messing things up. Make sure the file is in the Tasker/configs/user folder.

Craig Sedgwick

Jun 23, 2016, 5:11:39 PM6/23/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I'm really stumped now.  I took the SD card out, deleted Tasker from my new phone, reinstalled it from the Play Store; but now my file manager can't even find a Tasker folder, yet the App opens just fine.  Still no data, however.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Robert Ryan <rbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Try copying the backup file from the SD card to the internal memory of the phone and restore from there. Google instituted a new API for reading and writing to SD cards in Marshmallow, so I am guessing that's what is messing things up. Make sure the file is in the Tasker/configs/user folder.

Craig Sedgwick

Jun 23, 2016, 5:21:01 PM6/23/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
So...I have been putting the file in Tasker/configs/user, but now I can't even see that folder on the internal storage, and I have removed the SD card.  I tried two different file manager Apps, and still can't see it.  But Tasker opens just fine, but no data.

Rich D

Jun 23, 2016, 9:54:20 PM6/23/16
to Tasker Google Groups Post

> So...I have been putting the file in Tasker/configs/user, but now I can't even see that folder on the internal storage, and I have removed the SD card.  I tried two different file manager Apps, and still can't see it.  But Tasker opens just fine, but no data.

Huh.. I just had a similar experience with my new pixel c.  The file browser would not show the tasker folder.

I ended up doing a manual back up with the new tasker install and turned on the auto back back up from the the tasker preferences (be sure to back all the way out of tasker with the back button). This seemed to force something and then the tasker folder was shown. I then copied my old back up file into the tasker configs  folder and did a menu/ data/ restore.

Craig Sedgwick

Jun 23, 2016, 11:53:39 PM6/23/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your help! I finally can see the Tasker folder. There is a configs folder, but no users folder. I put the file in the configs folder but it looks like all I can see on a restore seems to be the new ones the phone is making, and of course they are all blank. I can't make the old file show at all.

Craig Sedgwick

Jun 24, 2016, 12:31:22 AM6/24/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Got it to work finally. What a pain! I had to manually create a folder called user in the configs folder. Then put the backup file in user folder and it finally restored! Thanks for your help, everyone!

kirsc...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2016, 1:23:43 AM6/24/16
to Tasker
The easiest solution would have been:

Do a backup with the new phone... then the correct folders get created automatically...

Craig Sedgwick

Jun 24, 2016, 1:28:55 AM6/24/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Did that and the folder still wasn't there. Oh well, it's working now, so I fires or doesn't matter. Thanks for your help and suggestions.