AirTask vs AutoRemote Full

Miles M

Nov 30, 2016, 12:53:11 AM11/30/16
to Tasker
Hey guys,
I have been a long time user of AutoRemote. I love its stability, plus its EventGhost plugin and IFTTT access, allowing my computer, phone, and cloud services to connect through tasker. However I was browsing Marco Stornelli's tasker plugins when I chanced upon his alternative to AR, AirTask. When I searched which one is better for which scenarios, there was 0 discussion over the topic. So lets change that- anybody here is is experienced in AirTask and/or AutoRemote Full, what's your experience with it? If you have used both, which do you prefer?

technogeezer

Nov 30, 2016, 7:57:50 AM11/30/16
to Tasker
This will not be a popular response but you asked.  ;)

I no longer use AutoRemote because on every device I tried it on, two different tablets and three different phones, the interface between AutoRemote and Tasker drops messages.  AutoRemote's log will show that a message was received but Tasker will miss it completely.

I have no experience with AirTask but if I need the functionality again, I might try it.

HTH

João Dias

Nov 30, 2016, 8:04:19 AM11/30/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You might want to try adding both AutoRemote and Tasker to the doze exception list. Unfortunately AutoRemote can't control whether the Android OS delivers its messages to Tasker or not.

technogeezer

Dec 2, 2016, 8:46:33 AM12/2/16
to Tasker
Hello, joaomgcd!

Please don't take the following as an attack on you or your fantastic add-ons.  I have purchased several of your Tasker add-ons and use them every day.  Great work!  Great value!  Please think of the following as a discussion between professionals.  I have 40 years of programming experience starting when I built my first computer from chips in 1976.

I programmed Tasker  for various tasks.  Most work perfectly.  Some did not.  Some of the tasks that didn't work were important enough that I downloaded Android Studio and wrote apps for the specific functionality that I couldn't get to work in Tasker.

What I found is that even with Android Studio, the same app did not work the same on all of my devices (two tablets and three phones).  I found the same incorrect behavior in my app as I saw with Tasker.  One app I wrote would work perfectly in the emulator and on my newest phone but not on the rest of my devices.  I thought it might be a version problem but I have verified that that is not the case.

The question is, is there an error in my code or is open-source android so variable from device to device that there is no guarantee of anything working all the time?

$.02

João Dias

Dec 5, 2016, 6:30:17 AM12/5/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there are many instances where the exact same code will work differently on different devices and Android versions :) It's quite challenging sometimes.