Re: How to change between 2 WIFI signals when one has low level?

baudi

Oct 14, 2012, 9:03:03 PM10/14/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Try this.

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:57:07 PM UTC-4, Javier García wrote:
Hi, at home I have 2 hotspots (WIFI1 and WIFI2) so when I am on kitchen it is near WIFI2, but when I am on study room, it is near WIFI1, and WIFI2 has low signal.

I didn't find a way to change to WIFI1 when WIFI2 has low signal.

Can help me? Thanks.

Javier García

Oct 15, 2012, 5:36:35 AM10/15/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but I don't want to switch manually I want automated, also I want to use only one app, tasker.

Greetings

Wes Stacey

Oct 15, 2012, 10:48:54 AM10/15/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
so do you have 2 separate networks? or 2 access points connected to the same network?

Wes Stacey

Oct 15, 2012, 1:10:54 PM10/15/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Also the app baudi linked has a Tasker plugin which will allow tasker to control it. Once it is installed you can go the "plugin" section and should be able to select the SSID you want from there.

Javier García

Oct 16, 2012, 4:29:14 AM10/16/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I will test it, but how can I program tasker to detect low wifi signal?

Are two SSID from the same network, 2 different access points

Wes Stacey

Oct 16, 2012, 11:46:08 AM10/16/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I little more complicated. Unfortunately i don't think you can monitor this value directly but here is a work around that I just worked out.

The variable %WIFII should store the status of the current wireless network as defined by the user guide. Below is the description of the variable from the user guide.

WiFi Info
%WIFII
When connected to an Access Point (AP), shows human-readable data about the AP. When not connected, show details of the most recent Wifi scan results for nearby APs.

This contains ALL the information for the current network, it includes Mac address, IP address, SSID, and Signal strength.

Setup a profile with 2 contexts.

1. Wifi Connected (enter your home SSID)
2. Time context (Uncheck the "Start" and "End" boxes and check the "Repeat" boxes set this value to 5 Minutes Or however often you want it to check the signal strength)

In the tasks for this profile do the following three steps to pull out just the signal strength value. At the end of these steps the variable %WIFISIG will contain a numeric value of the signal strength.

A1: Variable Set [ Name:%wifiinfo To:%WIFII Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
A2: Variable Split [ Name:%wifiinfo Splitter:Sig: Delete Base:Off ]
A3: Variable Section [ Name:%wifiinfo2 From:1 Length:2 Adapt To Fit:Off Store Result In:%WIFISIG ]

Now setup a separate profile with a context Event -> Variable Set set this to the %WIFISIG variable and leave the value blank

The task for this profile will have an if statement that will use the SSID Selector app to select the other network if %WIFISIFG is less than say 2-3 (low signal strength.

This should get you going I hope.

Carsten Kiefer

Feb 24, 2015, 7:22:52 AM2/24/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, napal...@gmail.com
You can use "Event" / "System" / "Intent Received" for the android.net.wifi.RSSI_CHANGED action.

When Tasker receives the intent, the variable %newrssi is created from the newRssi parameter of the intent, containing the signal strength in dBm. If that value is below a certain threshold (e.g., -75), execute your wifi-switching task.

Using an intent receiver has the big advantage to be able to react instantly when your signal becomes weaker. And it is much easier than parsing a variable every few minutes… ;)

Mike Kramer

Feb 25, 2015, 11:55:45 AM2/25/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, napal...@gmail.com
I guess this would not work if I have the same SSID on my router and the AP ?

Robert Ryan

Feb 26, 2015, 10:46:10 AM2/26/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
@Carsten Kiefer - +1 That's just brilliant. I had been using the parsing variable method, but this is way more efficient. Thanks for sharing!

EW

Mar 1, 2015, 12:10:48 AM3/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, napal...@gmail.com
Perhaps a very simple solution - set both routhers to the same ssid.  See http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ConfiguringTwoWirelessRoutersWithOneSSIDNetworkNameAtHomeForFreeRoaming.aspx for instructions on how to do that.

There are other similar sources that provide similar instructions.  This would work with any type of device.  I do this at home and it work great.

Marta Hintz

Mar 1, 2015, 12:27:42 PM3/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
That's my set up for upstairs and down. All my wireless devices will use the correct (stronger) one automatically. At the house.

Mike Kramer

Mar 2, 2015, 2:44:32 AM3/2/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
All my wireless devices will use the correct (stronger) one automatically

That is my setup, both routers use the same SSID (I also have one upstairs and one downstarirs) . But I need to do something so they choose the strongest. Do yours do that automatically or do you use tasker to switch ?

Marta Hintz

Mar 2, 2015, 11:52:40 AM3/2/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Mine switches automatically with all my devices, phones, laptop ect. No need for tasker.

Mike Kramer

Mar 3, 2015, 2:44:07 AM3/3/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yes that's what I would have expected. But it doesn't always happen, if my wifi signal is low I turn wifi off and back on and its strong again so must have switched routers. I thought I might be able to get tasker to do that for me.