Purpose of "Actions" Within a Notify Step?

whitedavidp

Aug 22, 2017, 9:59:26 AM8/22/17
to Tasker
Hello. I have not before used a Notify step and want to do so now. All seems clear to me save the meaning/purpose of the Actions near the bottom of the entry panel. I was guessing these might result in small buttons within the notification that, when tapped, do something. But nothing like that shows up in the notification that is posted on my Android 4.4.2 Note 3 phone. Can anyone help me understand these parameters? Thanks in advance.

Adam Lopresto

Aug 22, 2017, 11:12:36 AM8/22/17
to Tasker
Your guess was correct, but they only work in 5.0 (Lollipop) and later.

Pent

Aug 22, 2017, 11:41:10 AM8/22/17
to Tasker

Your guess was correct, but they only work in 5.0 (Lollipop) and later.

Notification actions should be usable from JellyBean, so definitely on a 4.4.2 device
(otherwise Tasker wouldn't show them).

OP: possibly you need to drag down the notification with 2 fingers or similar
before action buttons appear on your device.

Pent

whitedavidp

Aug 22, 2017, 11:52:36 AM8/22/17
to Tasker
Wow, thanks Pent. I did not even know about the two finger down swipe on the notification to reveal the buttons. That works as it should. Every time I use it, I find Tasker to be more and more amazing! I am using it now to create a cell signal strength per gps location logging application. There are tons of them in Play Store. But most most require screens be turned on to work at all (mostly on older Android versions) and are therefore battery hogs. With root, Tasker, and the dumpsys command, I have cobbled-together something that does what I need without the screen being on at all. So battery consumption is very acceptable. Simply amazing. Cheers!