Tasker/Chrome Issue

Mikhail Fomin

Nov 9, 2015, 9:54:43 PM11/9/15
to Tasker
I am trying to delete a file and redownload it using chrome. However, chrome doesn't seem to realize that the file is deleted and brings up replace/create new file dialog, thus not allowing the file to download. Is there any workaround for this? This is the URL for the file and it doesn't seem to like HTTP GET: https://www.google.com/trends/trendsReport?hl=en-US&date=now%201-H&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B5&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B5&content=1&export=1

Rich D

Nov 12, 2015, 12:26:33 PM11/12/15
to Tasker Google Groups Post

> I am trying to delete a file and redownload it using chrome.

How are you using tasker?

My stock android browser will add a number to the end of any filename that already exists( IE filename1.txt then filename2.txt)  I did test it on your file and it works as expected.

nanobrain

Nov 12, 2015, 1:00:53 PM11/12/15
to Tasker
If you are on an Android version before 4.4 you could try Media > Scan Card, which would detect new/deleted files in the directory specified. On Android 4.4+ it only detects new files (according to the online help). Even then give it a shot, maybe it will refresh something in chrome.

Mikhail Fomin

Nov 12, 2015, 7:54:37 PM11/12/15
to Tasker
My chrome asks: "Do you want to replace the existing report.csv in Download? and stops the process. The only workaround I could come up with is waiting for 5 minutes. Android screenshots below.
Chrome version: 48.0.2560.5
Android version : 6.0

Rich D

Nov 12, 2015, 9:37:03 PM11/12/15
to Tasker Google Groups Post

> My chrome asks: "Do you want to replace the existing report.csv in Download?

A few things to try.

1. If you clear the defaults for chrome you should be able to choose the stock browser just for the 'browse url' action and still have chrome for your standard default browser.

2. Instead of using ' browse url'  use the 'launch app' and launch chrome with the link in the data field and select 'always start new copy'

Mikhail Fomin

Nov 28, 2015, 3:16:40 PM11/28/15
to Tasker
After I try (1), only chrome works as the default browser. It's a Nexus 5/Android 6.0 thing
Launch app just brings up chrome, not the link in the data.
I've noticed that my command works fine if the phone is active, but fails to download the file (I think) when the phone is inactive, even after I use secure settings to turn on phone display and CPU. Are there any different commands you can think of?

Rich D

Nov 28, 2015, 8:21:11 PM11/28/15
to Tasker Google Groups Post

Are there any different commands you can think of?

Are you rooted? You could try killing chrome after the delete and before the browse url.   I would try the shell command am force-stop package name

Mikhail Fomin

Nov 28, 2015, 8:24:39 PM11/28/15
to Tasker
I finally figured out that it was the swipe unlock that was causing problems. I am able to use turn on screen in secure settings with "none" unlock and everything proceeds without errors. I tried using keyguard in secure settings to unlock the device protected by "swipe" unlock but it doesn't like Nexus for some reason. In this case, would there be any non-root solution?

Rich D

Nov 28, 2015, 8:39:08 PM11/28/15
to Tasker Google Groups Post

I tried using keyguard in secure settings to unlock the device protected by "swipe" unlock but it doesn't like Nexus for some reason. In this case, would there be any non-root solution?

This is a known issue. You can search the group for a few different approaches. The one that worked for me was to turn on keyguard with secure settings action just before turning off keyguard with secure settings.