Manage power outlets

Dietmar Besau

Mar 17, 2018, 5:10:35 PM3/17/18
to Tasker
Hello,

I want to manage power outlets for charging my phone based on the battery status.

Are there any (wifi controlled) power outlets/sockets which can be managed by tasker?

Best regards
Dietmar

fiSh

Mar 18, 2018, 8:13:37 AM3/18/18
to Tasker
I've wondered this myself; I did come across http://itnerd.space/2017/02/26/control-your-tp-link-hs100-smartplug-with-tasker/ but I've never tried it and was hoping for an "official" plugin or the like. There is "Smart Switch Tasker Plugin" in the play store, which again I haven't tried. If you do get this working please post your method, thanks.
fish

Rich B

Mar 18, 2018, 8:47:22 PM3/18/18
to Tasker
I don't know if you can do this directly in Tasker. I don't think so. I have a Samsung Hub and some GE switches. I can control them through Tasker using the SharpTools plug-in that works with the Samsung Hub. If you had this setup, you could plug your phone into one of the GE switches and create a profile that checks for battery level and send a command to SharpTools to turn on the switch and it would charge your phone.

J.

Mar 20, 2018, 10:19:21 AM3/20/18
to Tasker
Not directly that I know of. If you really need access from anywhere and want to use Tasker, the link below that fiSh posted (http://itnerd.space/2017/02/26/control-your-tp-link-hs100-smartplug-with-tasker/) does give a method but if you are not well-in tasker you may find it tedious involving several steps, including authenticating to the TP-Link cloud API to get a token and get your specific end point URL and the device ID of what you are trying to control. It works as I have done it, but with this caveat: every so often - randomly - TP-Link will refresh the token, which leaves you dead in the water until you sync back up. Not the most practical solution. The workaround would be to use the Kasa app directly from anywhere. Manual, but if you aren't toggling it a lot it works I guess.

If you only need to control it WHILE you are connected to the same wifi it's on, then what I use is Anymote Smart remote, as it can control TP-link, wink, lifx, etc devices and it works quite reliably thru tasker as a plugin.