FW: Critical Race Theory Seminar Spring 2016

Bethany Edwards

Dec 16, 2015, 4:59:45 PM12/16/15

Please see the email below.

Thank you,

Bethany

From: wendy.l...@gmail.com [mailto:wendy.l...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Wendy Moore
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:59 PM
To: Bethany Edwards
Subject: Critical Race Theory Seminar Spring 2016

Bethany, can you please forward the following message to graduate students. Thanks.

Dear Sociology Grad Students:

I will be teaching Critical Race Theory as a seminar on Monday nights (6-9) this Spring 2016. I want to make everyone aware of the course, as some of you have inquired about it, and I probaby won't be teaching it again in the next couple of years. There will be new material in the course, and I think it is going to be a great class, please feel free to forward this to anyone you think might be interested. Here is the description.

In this class we will examine race, racism and racial inequality through the lens of critical race theory. We will begin the class with an examination of the development of critical race theory in the legal academy and we will explore the foundational principles of the theoretical frame. We will utilize a critical race frame to analyze the law as a tool of the American racial state, a mechanism through which the state has created and maintained race privilege and corresponding racial oppression. We will then compare the critical race paradigm that developed in the legal academy to some of the most critical race perspectives in sociology, and begin to explore the ways that the tenets of critical race theory can be extended to sociological scholarship. My major objective in this class is to help you understand critical race theory in a pragmatic way, in other words, in a way that will help you to utilize a critical race frame in your own teaching and research--particularly as a tool to analyze empirical evidence about race and racism.

--

Wendy Leo Moore

Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies

Chair Section on Racial and Ethnic Minorities, American Sociological Association
Department of Sociology
421 Academic Building -- 4351 TAMU
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843