FW: SOCI Department Graduate Student Elections

1 view

Bethany Edwards

Sep 28, 2015, 2:57:06 PM9/28/15

Please see the e-mail below.

Thank you,

Bethany

From: Chantrey Murphy [mailto:cmur...@tamu.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 1:42 PM
To: Bethany Edwards
Subject: SOCI Department Graduate Student Elections

Hi Bethany,

Please forward the following message to the graduate student listserv.

Thanks,

CJ

This week begins the student election process for Departmental and University level committees.  The attachment includes the list of active committees for this year (2015-16).  Those that were discontinued include the Graduate Program Committee, Graduate Student Awards Committee, and Graduate Instructor Mentoring Committee.

Below are some things to consider about potential benefits to you and about the general procedures for the elections.  Please submit your nominations to me by email (cmur...@tamu.edu) no later than midnight on Thursday, October 1st.

Incentives:

  • adding a line (or more) in your CV for Professional and Service Activities
  • familiarizing yourself with departmental procedures
  • developing your associations with faculty members serving on those committees

General Expectation:

  • to keep graduate students informed of any policies, procedures, etc. conducted in your committee(s) that involve or directly affect graduate students

Procedures:

  • Submit your nominations (for self and/or others) to me by midnight, Thursday Oct. 1st so I can generate the election ballot.
  • One student can serve on up to two (2) committees.  If nominated for more than two committees, the student must decide which two they prefer to enter into the election.
  • Some committee positions require more than one student representative (i.e., Social Committee, Graduate and Professional Student Council).  In this instance, the students with the higher number of votes will be elected as representatives.
  • After I've collected nominations, I'll email the nominees and ask if they'd like to remain on the ballot or be removed.  After nominations are finalized, I'll generate a poll and send it out to the graduate student listserv on Friday.  The poll will be available between Friday (Oct. 2nd) and Monday (Oct. 5th).
  • After the faculty finish their election process, I'll generate a list that give the memberships across all committees.  Student representatives should get in contact with the faculty member chairing their committee. Sometimes the faculty member will seek you out, but it’s always good to be proactive.  Those who are elected to university level positions should contact the committee directly for further information.

Chantrey J. Murphy, M.A.

Graduate Lecturer, Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Sociology
Texas A&M University

2015 SOCI & University Committee Elections.docx