Test 1 (via nntp)

André G. Isaak

Jul 2, 2015, 3:56:24 PM7/2/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Esto es una prueba

Andre

RSNorman

Jul 2, 2015, 4:36:23 PM7/2/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:55:47 -0600, "André G. Isaak"
<agi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Esto es una prueba

Since "prueba" is feminine, should that be "Esta"?

Mr. B1ack

Jul 2, 2015, 9:36:23 PM7/2/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:55:47 -0600, "André G. Isaak"
<agi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think there's a newsgroup called "alt.test" that's
made just for testing connections.

RSNorman

Jul 2, 2015, 9:51:22 PM7/2/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 21:34:35 -0400, "Mr. B1ack" <now...@nada.net>
wrote:
The problem is that moderated groups have different properties from
unmoderated ones like alt.test. For example, there were problems here
resulting from the t.o. moderation robot that caused threading to fail
for posts originating in google groups whereas the same sequence of
posts sent to alt.test succeeded. I know because I did those tests.

There are other reasons why moderated groups behave differently -- the
posting agency has to know about the moderation, for example, and send
it differently.

Bob Casanova

Jul 3, 2015, 2:41:20 PM7/3/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 21:49:21 -0400, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by RSNorman
<r_s_n...@comcast.net>:

>On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 21:34:35 -0400, "Mr. B1ack" <now...@nada.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:55:47 -0600, "André G. Isaak"
>><agi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Esto es una prueba
>>>
>>>Andre
>>
>> I think there's a newsgroup called "alt.test" that's
>> made just for testing connections.
>
>The problem is that moderated groups have different properties from
>unmoderated ones like alt.test. For example, there were problems here
>resulting from the t.o. moderation robot that caused threading to fail
>for posts originating in google groups whereas the same sequence of
>posts sent to alt.test succeeded. I know because I did those tests.

There have also been issues with some news servers being
improperly configured for a "robo-moderated" group such as
t.o; apparently it required some sort of tweaks to the
server software. It was a temporary issue back in the
mid-90s when I was on (IIRC) Comcast.

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Mr. B1ack

Jul 4, 2015, 10:41:16 PM7/4/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 21:49:21 -0400, RSNorman <r_s_n...@comcast.net>
Consider the possibility that un-moderated groups
are just easier, and 'better' from the whole free-speech
perspective. "Kill lists" - individually customized - are
a more ideologically-civilized solution. I visit some
groups where my (extremely small) kill-list actually
makes over 50% of new posts disappear some days.
The "tragedy of the commons" problem need not be
resolved by some sort of 'god' figure (robo or otherwise)
hurling lightning bolts down upon the heathens.