The ID science isn't going to come from Dembski

RonO

Nov 29, 2015, 5:03:34 PM11/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I just check the Panda's Thumb and they have a thread up where Dembski
is abandoning his ID web site and starting a new life in "education."

It isn't April, so it might be true. You never know with ID perps that
likely don't know what the truth is.

Dembski claims that he has devoted 23 years of his life to the ID scam
and that it is time to do something else.

It looks like the creationist ID scam has lost one of it's primary ID perps.

He claims that he will stay in the game, but we will likely never see
CSI or the new law of thermodynamics become any science worth discussing.

I wonder if this means that the Discovery Institute canceled his
fellowship. Does he have to get a real job?

How long does the Discovery Institute ID scam wing have left? I wonder
if Casey Luskin is looking for another job somewhere. There doesn't
seem to be much of a need for a director of research at the ID scam unit.

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2015/11/dembski-moving.html#comments-open

Ron Okimoto

RonO

Nov 30, 2015, 8:03:37 AM11/30/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
At Panda's hrafn notes (bottom of the second page in the thread) in a
post that there are no young up and coming fellows at the Discovery
Institute. 20 years ago they had Nelson and Dembski finishing their
PhDs, but have they been able to sway any new young talent to the cause?
With ID perps retiring the ID scam wing might dwindle down to nothing
by attrition. I don't think that Nelson ever had a real job and Dembski
has had quite a checkered history.

Sternberg isn't that young and joined after the bait and switch had been
going down for years, and after the Dover fiasco, so there are some
IDiots still willing to take the Discovery Institute money, but where is
the next generation of ID perps? Who is going to carry the flame of the
non existent ID science?

Ron Okimoto

Rolf

Nov 30, 2015, 12:58:32 PM11/30/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"RonO" <roki...@cox.net> wrote in message
We may not have seen the last of Harun Yahya yet, but I don't know how much
clout he might have.

RonO

Nov 30, 2015, 6:48:33 PM11/30/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Harun Yahya has as much chance of joining the ID perps at the Discovery
Institute as Putin.

Ron Okimoto

RonO

Dec 1, 2015, 8:18:33 AM12/1/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 11/29/2015 4:03 PM, RonO wrote:
Some creationist boob going by FL listed Dembski's accomplishments in
the first page of comments. It sounds like he got them off the web page.

QUOTE:
1. Author/editor of more than 20 books.

2. Has written peer-reviewed articles spanning mathematics, engineering,
philosophy, and theology.

3. Was the Phillip E. Johnson Research Professor of Culture and Science
at Southern Evangelical Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina, where he
helped head its Institute of Scientific Apologetics. SES awarded him an
honorary doctorate in 2011.

3. Research Professor in Philosophy at Southwestern Seminary in Ft.
Worth, where he directed its Center for Cultural Engagement.

4. Carl F. H. Henry Professor of Theology and Science at Southern
Seminary in Louisville, where he founded its Center for Theology and
Science.

5. Headed the first intelligent design think-tank at a major research
university: The Michael Polanyi Center, at Baylor University.

6. Postdoctoral work in mathematics at MIT, in physics at the University
of Chicago, and in computer science at Princeton University.

7. Received a $100,000 Templeton Foundation research grant, which issued
in two books: No Free Lunch: Why Specified Complexity Cannot Be
Purchased Without Intelligence (published 2002) and Being As Communion:
A Metaphysics of Information (published 2014).

8. Christianity Today‘s Book of the Year Award for two of this books.

9. Three front page stories in the New York Times as well as the August
15, 2005 Time magazine cover story on intelligent design. Multiple
appearances and interviews with various media outlets, including
hostiles like Jon Stewart.

10. Lectured widely at colleges and universities and appeared on radio
and television. I can attest to this one personally, because I watched
Dr. Dembski defeat Michael Shermer at Washburn University.
END QUOTE:

How many jobs was Dembski forced to resign from due to his behavior
issues? Wouldn't Baylor and the Polanyi fiasco be something that anyone
would want to forget?

Why would an ID perp that claimed that it was all about the science
admit to heading the "Institute of Scientific Apologetics" and starting
the "Center for Theology and Science".

It looks like he did submit an acceptable book for his Templeton
Foundation grant. The Templeton Foundation initially claimed that the
book Dembski first submitted was not the one the grant was made for. So
it looks like they may have settled for one of his later books.

He is known for editing the last edition of Pandas and People that they
titled something else and no one ever refers to it. Drafts to the book
had been supoenaed in the Dover court case, but they dropped that issue
when Dembski ran away after sitting in on Forrest's deposition that
included what she had found out about Pandas and People and the
creationism/intelligent design switcheroo.

No mention of the farting video that he created in response to the IDiot
loss in Dover.

What IDiot science was ever accomplished? Shouldn't any viable ID
science be among the top 10 in a 23 year IDiotic career?

Ron Okimoto

Mark Isaak

Dec 1, 2015, 12:38:29 PM12/1/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 11/30/15 3:46 PM, RonO wrote:
> On 11/30/2015 11:56 AM, Rolf wrote:
>> "RonO" <roki...@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> [...]
>>> At Panda's hrafn notes (bottom of the second page in the thread) in a
>>> post
>>> that there are no young up and coming fellows at the Discovery
>>> Institute.
>>> 20 years ago they had Nelson and Dembski finishing their PhDs, but have
>>> they been able to sway any new young talent to the cause? With ID perps
>>> retiring the ID scam wing might dwindle down to nothing by attrition. I
>>> don't think that Nelson ever had a real job and Dembski has had quite a
>>> checkered history.
>>>
>>> Sternberg isn't that young and joined after the bait and switch had been
>>> going down for years, and after the Dover fiasco, so there are some
>>> IDiots
>>> still willing to take the Discovery Institute money, but where is the
>>> next
>>> generation of ID perps? Who is going to carry the flame of the non
>>> existent ID science?
>>>
>>> Ron Okimoto
>>>

>> We may not have seen the last of Harun Yahya yet, but I don't know how
>> much
>> clout he might have.
>
> Harun Yahya has as much chance of joining the ID perps at the Discovery
> Institute as Putin.

How is Raelism doing? Maybe they could help. (If only.)

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"Keep the company of those who seek the truth; run from those who have

RonO

Dec 1, 2015, 6:23:28 PM12/1/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Ever since the bogus human cloning claims the group is keeping a pretty
low profile. I don't even know if Rael is still alive or was
transferred to his new clone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABlism

They did support IDiocy, but beats me if they still do.

Ron Okimoto

RonO

Dec 2, 2015, 7:28:29 AM12/2/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 11/29/2015 4:03 PM, RonO wrote:
It just occurred to me that Dembski retiring cuts the potential ID
science by more than two thirds, possibly, three quarters. Behe and
Dembski were the only ones putting up junk that you might claim to be ID
science. Dembski had the claim about space alien designers being the
most scientific IDiot alternative (he was actually correct about that,
but the most scientific option isn't the same as being scientific), he
is also responsible for specified complexity, CSI and his new law of
thermodynamics that was supposed to solve all the IDiot's problems.
Behe is just a one trick pony with his IC claptrap that never amounted
to anything in 20 years. After these two what is left?

It looks like just denial like Meyer claiming that 20 million years 500
million years ago isn't enough time for the Cambrian explosion diversity
of life, or Sternberg's weird claims that 9 million years isn't enough
time to evolve a whale fluke from a dog like animal. Those types of
stupid creationist denial arguments literally have nothing going for
them. Dembski's and Behe's claptrap were the only options that might
have been viable and testable if they had ever been able to define their
junk and make them viable and testable, they might have even tested the
junk eventually. I would have liked to see how the new law of
thermodynamics was going to work out.

So Dembski's retirement from IDiocy would seem to be a major blow, and
all his ID science is just going to lay in a state of morning from now on.

Ron Okimoto

RonO

Dec 3, 2015, 8:53:22 PM12/3/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 11/29/2015 4:03 PM, RonO wrote:
Speaking of Luskin, when I checked their web site the Discovery
Institute only lists him as staff. What happened to his position as
director of research? If you click on his name there is no mention of
his apparently former position.

http://www.discovery.org/id/about/fellows/

West is now vice president of the Discovery Institute. For a short
while (years ago around the time of the Dover Fiasco) Meyer was vice
president of the Discovery Institute, but he got demoted and still is
just the director of the ID scam outfit.

I wonder if they are still going to list Dembski as a fellow of the ID
scam unit.

Ron Okimoto

John Vreeland

Dec 5, 2015, 12:13:17 AM12/5/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I was wondering about that. "Director of 'Research'" is an embarassing
title.
--
Church of the FSM: "I believe _because_ it is ridiculous."

RonO

Dec 6, 2015, 9:13:14 AM12/6/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I recall that title getting kicked around some time after Kitzmiller.
When the ID scam outfit started they used to have what they called a
"program director." I recall that at the time that the Wedge document
came out the program director was the only IDiot to acknowledge that the
document was genuine and even pointed out the original mission statement
that was still up at the Discovery Institute web site at that time as
evidence that the Wedge document was simply a restatement of the mission
statement. I think Jay Richards was the program director at that time,
and he knew the program that he was directing.

The original Mission Statement of the ID scam unit of the Discovery
Institute:
http://web.archive.org/web/19980114111554/http://discovery.org/crsc/aboutcrsc.html

QUOTE:
THE proposition that human beings are created in the image of God is one
of the bedrock principles on which Western civilization was built. Its
influence can be detected in most, if not all, of the West's greatest
achievements, including representative democracy, human rights, free
enterprise, and progress in the arts and sciences.
END QUOTE:

QUOTE:
Discovery Institute's Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture
seeks nothing less than the overthrow of materialism and its damning
cultural legacies. Bringing together leading scholars from the natural
sciences and those from the humanities and social sciences, the Center
explores how new developments in biology, physics and cognitive science
raise serious doubts about scientific materialism and have re-opened the
case for the supernatural. The Center awards fellowships for original
research, holds conferences, and briefs policymakers about the
opportunities for life after materialism.
END QUOTE:

This is really what the Discovery Institute ID perps signed up for. It
was published right on their web site until they took it down. People
have to go to the link and observe the ID perp's logo of God and Adam to
know that ID was never going to pass the Lemon test. Really, the
picture of God and Adam was on their original home page for the ID scam
unit before creationist rubes started to get serious and started
repeating the ID perp junk about teaching intelligent design in the
public schools. Before the bait and switch started to go down in 2002
the mission statement disappeared and the logo changed.

The Wedge Document:
http://ncse.com/creationism/general/wedge-document

QUOTE:
The proposition that human beings are created in the image of God is one
of the bedrock principles on which Western civilization was built. Its
influence can be detected in most, if not all, of the West's greatest
achievements, including representative democracy, human rights, free
enterprise, and progress in the arts and sciences.
END QUOTE:

QUOTE:
Discovery Institute's Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture
seeks nothing less than the overthrow of materialism and its cultural
legacies. Bringing together leading scholars from the natural sciences
and those from the humanities and social sciences, the Center explores
how new developments in biology, physics and cognitive science raise
serious doubts about scientific materialism and have re-opened the case
for a broadly theistic understanding of nature. The Center awards
fellowships for original research, holds conferences, and briefs
policymakers about the opportunities for life after materialism.
END QUOTE:

So it is apparent from the "program" of the Discovery Institute that the
science was secondary to their religious political goals. ID was
supposed to be the wedge that they could use to institute their
theological paradise.

It is just too bad that ID turned into more of a wet noodle than a wedge
capable of doing much of anything.

Ron Okimoto

John Vreeland

Dec 13, 2015, 2:57:52 PM12/13/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Representative democracy! I read that in the Book of Parliaments. It's
the one after Kings.

Human rights! Like the right to be stoned to death if you are a
non-believer.

Free enterprise! David Barton says that capitalism comes right out of
the Bible. He gives these verses, but I guess I am not intelligent
enough to understand how our capitalist economic system derives from
them.
* 1 Timothy 5:8 -- "Anyone who does not provide for their relatives,
and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is
worse than an unbeliever."
* 2 Thessalonians 3:10 -- "For even when we were with you, we gave you
this rule: 'The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.'"

Progress! Arts and Sciences! Because the Bible is an experimentally
confirmed scientific work and Christians have never dabbled in
iconoclasm.

RonO

Dec 13, 2015, 6:02:52 PM12/13/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
What is sad about the goals of their mission statement is that Dembski
got a taste of what his new world order would have resulted in when he
taught at his religious college. He made the booboo of telling his
class that the world might be older than 10,000 years old and that the
Flood may not have been world wide. He was forced to appologize to keep
his job. My guess is that the old earth creationist like Philip
Johnson, Dembski and Behe would have been the first up against the wall
if their political goals had succeeded.

Ron Okimoto

John Vreeland

Dec 13, 2015, 11:07:49 PM12/13/15