OT: Panda's Thumb issues

czeba...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2017, 9:00:02 PM12/29/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I've been trying to check out the Thumb recently but I'm getting security warnings regarding security certification.
Does anyone know what's going on there?

gregwrld

jillery

Dec 29, 2017, 9:25:02 PM12/29/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
FWIW I have no problem from either Chrome or Edge.

--
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Attributed to Voltaire

*Hemidactylus*

Dec 29, 2017, 9:50:02 PM12/29/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
What browser are you using? Safari, Firefox Focus, and Adblock landed me
there OK on iphone with no woes.

These scans come up clean for malware:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/0c4108a7124f5f83c8e8f347492ab35ca06eef667eb2ea7d830dd0ff24fde0c6/analysis/1514601172/

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/pandasthumb.org

The latter is usually really anal retentive and flags the slightest
infraction.

Here’s explanation from Microsoft for various errors:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17430/windows-internet-explorer-certificate-errors-faq

*Hemidactylus*

Dec 29, 2017, 10:05:02 PM12/29/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:
> <czeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been trying to check out the Thumb recently but I'm getting security
>> warnings regarding security certification.
>> Does anyone know what's going on there?
>>
>> gregwrld
>>
> What browser are you using? Safari, Firefox Focus, and Adblock landed me
> there OK on iphone with no woes.
>
> These scans come up clean for malware:
>
> https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/0c4108a7124f5f83c8e8f347492ab35ca06eef667eb2ea7d830dd0ff24fde0c6/analysis/1514601172/

Actually that was for a whois site. This is a scan for pandasthumb.org

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/2a3443909edb722bdfeff237c29b6d2c34a3814b87f39bf33717d2d588bb3fc9/analysis/1514602768/

czeba...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2017, 8:20:03 PM12/30/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
The warning described the certificate as weak and possibly phoney. I have the option to proceed and now I will. I wanted to make sure no one had had heard of any outstanding issues.
I appreciate the guidance from y'all, many thanks!
By the way, I'm using an android device. It's clean and I want to keep it that way...

gregwrld

*Hemidactylus*

Dec 30, 2017, 8:50:02 PM12/30/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
As a precaution I prescan uncertain and novel sites:

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net- prone to false positives

https://www.virustotal.com/en/#url -comprehensive

http://csi.websense.com - limited to 5 scans per some time period

Robert Carnegie

Dec 31, 2017, 11:50:03 AM12/31/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Accepting a weak certificate means that a fake or infected
version of "Panda's Thumb" could pass itself off as the real one.
Weak cryptography also means that their content and your
submissions can be viewed or altered by an intermediate party.

Perhaps your network provider is trying the gimmick of tapping
web sites with advertisements and inserting their own advertisements
instead. Again. After all. "net neutrality" is dead.

czeba...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2017, 8:10:04 PM12/31/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Thanks again, everyone for the helpful advice and information. I'm too distracted by the wife's health issues to submit much these days but I still enjoy lurking...

gregwrld

jillery

Jan 1, 2018, 1:50:04 AM1/1/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:06:00 -0800 (PST), czeba...@gmail.com wrote:

>Thanks again, everyone for the helpful advice and information. I'm too distracted by the wife's health issues to submit much these days but I still enjoy lurking...
>
>gregwrld

For the new year, I hope you find happiness everywhere you look for
it.