Final Jeopardy question tonight

chris thompson

Aug 16, 2010, 7:29:40 PM8/16/10
"The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
human, and 1 part bird."

If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
got it right (I did not).

Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.

Chris

Dana Tweedy

Aug 16, 2010, 7:36:13 PM8/16/10
On Aug 16, 5:29 pm, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What is the H1N1 flu virus?

Burkhard

Aug 16, 2010, 7:45:08 PM8/16/10

Which beast terrified the inhabitants of South Park?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ManBearPig.JPG

chris thompson

Aug 16, 2010, 7:58:27 PM8/16/10

We need three responses before the answer is revealed. Sorry to those
in alternate hemispheres or realities.

Chris

chris thompson

Aug 16, 2010, 7:58:19 PM8/16/10

We need three responses before the answer is revealed. Sorry to those

Greg G.

Aug 16, 2010, 8:50:26 PM8/16/10
On Aug 16, 7:29 pm, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Who is Porky Duck?

chris thompson

Aug 16, 2010, 9:12:34 PM8/16/10

We have three responses, and Dana Tweedy is the only only one who got
it right.

Dana wins a video of me learning to play bagpipes, which I have just
taken up. My personal assessment of my progress is that I am able to
make sounds much like whale farts, if only we could hear them.

Congrats, Dana!

Chris

Nashton

Aug 16, 2010, 9:18:17 PM8/16/10
On 8/16/10 8:29 PM, chris thompson wrote:
> "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> human, and 1 part bird."
>
> If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> got it right (I did not).

LOL.

It was college Jeopardy for crying out loud.
I got it after reading 2 part pigs one part human.

Nashton

Aug 16, 2010, 9:20:20 PM8/16/10
On 8/16/10 10:12 PM, chris thompson wrote:
> On Aug 16, 8:50 pm, "Greg G."<ggw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 16, 7:29 pm, chris thompson<chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
>>> human, and 1 part bird."
>>
>>> If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
>>> got it right (I did not).
>>
>>> Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
>>> honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.
>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Who is Porky Duck?
>
> We have three responses, and Dana Tweedy is the only only one who got
> it right.
>
> Dana wins a video of me learning to play bagpipes, which I have just
> taken up.

God bless you. Nothing like the sound of bag pipes.
I hear it's very difficult to master.

Good luck.

John Harshman

Aug 16, 2010, 9:49:03 PM8/16/10

What was the final jeopardy category?

I'm going with Miss Piggy in angel costume.

John Harshman

Aug 16, 2010, 9:51:49 PM8/16/10

Let's let pass that it isn't actually an organism. But granting that:
what the frak?

Will in New Haven

Aug 16, 2010, 10:26:29 PM8/16/10
On Aug 16, 9:20 pm, Nashton <n...@na.ca> wrote:
> On 8/16/10 10:12 PM, chris thompson wrote:
>

> > On Aug 16, 8:50 pm, "Greg G."<ggw...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >> Who is Porky Duck?
>
> > We have three responses, and Dana Tweedy is the only only one who got
> > it right.
>
> > Dana wins a video of me learning to play bagpipes, which I have just
> > taken up.
>
> God bless you. Nothing like the sound of bag pipes.
> I hear it's very difficult to master.

_Difficult_ Once the neighbors get hold of you it becomes impossible.
If they are nice they merely rip your lips off. They do sound grand
once the player masters them.

--
Will in New Haven

Inez

Aug 17, 2010, 12:23:02 AM8/17/10
On Aug 16, 4:29 pm, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Newt Gingrich. The bird part is a chicken.

Vend

Aug 17, 2010, 2:39:24 AM8/17/10
On 17 Ago, 03:12, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 8:50 pm, "Greg G." <ggw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 16, 7:29 pm, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> > > human, and 1 part bird."
>
> > > If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> > > got it right (I did not).
>
> > > Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
> > > honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.
>
> > > Chris
>
> > Who is Porky Duck?
>
> We have three responses, and Dana Tweedy is the only only one who got
> it right.

Explanation?

chris thompson

Aug 17, 2010, 3:39:59 AM8/17/10
On Aug 16, 9:18 pm, Nashton <n...@na.ca> wrote:
> On 8/16/10 8:29 PM, chris thompson wrote:
>
> > "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> > human, and 1 part bird."
>
> > If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> > got it right (I did not).
>
> LOL.
>
> It was college Jeopardy for crying out loud.
> I got it after reading 2 part pigs one part human.

Yep. I was golden through the whole show, getting 99% of the clues,
but choked at the end. Sometimes, a little knowledge is a dangerous
thing- when they said "organism" I pretty much subconciously excluded
viruses, I think.

Chris

chris thompson

Aug 17, 2010, 3:36:59 AM8/17/10
On Aug 16, 9:20 pm, Nashton <n...@na.ca> wrote:
> On 8/16/10 10:12 PM, chris thompson wrote:
>

> > On Aug 16, 8:50 pm, "Greg G."<ggw...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >> Who is Porky Duck?
>
> > We have three responses, and Dana Tweedy is the only only one who got
> > it right.
>
> > Dana wins a video of me learning to play bagpipes, which I have just
> > taken up.
>
> God bless you. Nothing like the sound of bag pipes.
> I hear it's very difficult to master.
>
> Good luck.

Thank you. I appreciate your good wishes, and I am not being
sarcastic.

Chris

PS: My neighbor Sean, who is quite good on both pipes and tin whistle,
set me up. He let me try his pipes without telling me that novices
start out with a "chanter"- just the recorder-type instrument that
later fits into the bag. The chanter costs about $75 and is cheap
compared to the pipes, which run a thousand bucks or more. I am now
part of a local band (County Tyrone) and will march in parades as part
of their Color Guard until my playing is up to spec.

chris thompson

Aug 17, 2010, 3:40:49 AM8/17/10

Wish I could help. Just going on what _they_ said.

Chris

chris thompson

Aug 17, 2010, 3:41:57 AM8/17/10

*SHRUG* Just going on what they said. Sorry.

Chris

chris thompson

Aug 17, 2010, 3:43:40 AM8/17/10

Darn, I should have listed that- sorry, it was "Medicine".

> I'm going with Miss Piggy in angel costume.

That surely gets an Honorable Mention

Chris

Ernest Major

Aug 17, 2010, 5:00:13 AM8/17/10
In message
<0004eb34-df0b-4fba...@x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> writes
The influenza virus has a "segmented" genome. The recent pandemic strain
originated as a reassortant with segments from human and swine flu
strains. In H1N1 2009 pandemic flu virus 2 segments (1 part) came from
Eurasian swine flu viruses relatively recently derived from avian flu, 3
parts from classical North American swine flu (endemic since 1918), and
3 parts from a human flu via a swine flu. (Fide Zimmer & Burke,
Historical Perspective — Emergence of Influenza A (H1N1) Viruses, NEJM
363(3): 279-285 (2009) -
<URL:http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMra0904322>)
--
alias Ernest Major

Vend

Aug 17, 2010, 5:48:21 AM8/17/10
On 17 Ago, 11:00, Ernest Major <{$t...@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <0004eb34-df0b-4fba-a2e3-5bc97bb8c...@x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> writes

Ok, but if I understand correctly, these are still viral genomes. Does
it have any significant amount of mammalian genes?

Kleuskes & Moos

Aug 17, 2010, 5:59:43 AM8/17/10
On Aug 17, 1:29 am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

H1N1.

Ernest Major

Aug 17, 2010, 6:15:22 AM8/17/10
In message
<6bf110eb-28f0-4d94...@p7g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, Vend
<ven...@virgilio.it> writes

Correct.

>Does
>it have any significant amount of mammalian genes?

No.

In the statement pig, human and bird were not nouns, but adjectives.
--
alias Ernest Major

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.org

Aug 17, 2010, 7:00:50 AM8/17/10
On Aug 17, 12:29 am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Mumble mumble mumble "Star Trek the Motion Picture" mumble mumble
"accident in the Transporter" mumble mumble "Board of Inquiry" mumble
mumble "really, really gross?"

<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22didn%27t+live+long%22+%22do
+you+have+them%22+%22transporter%22&meta=>

Klaus Hellnick

Aug 17, 2010, 7:37:38 AM8/17/10
On 8/17/2010 2:36 AM, chris thompson wrote:

> Thank you. I appreciate your good wishes, and I am not being
> sarcastic.
>
> Chris

There is a bagpipe music group that is quite good (IMO) with a website
called tartanic.net .
Klaus

Ron O

Aug 17, 2010, 7:56:53 AM8/17/10
On Aug 17, 6:00 am, "Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-

Jeff Goldblum on a diet of pulled pork barbecue with hot wings on the
side in The Fly.

Ron Okimoto

Richard Clayton

Aug 17, 2010, 9:35:01 AM8/17/10
On 16-Aug-10 7:29 PM, chris thompson wrote:
> "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> human, and 1 part bird."
>
> If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> got it right (I did not).
>
> Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
> honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.

Who is Ann Coulter?

--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Richard Clayton

John Harshman

Aug 17, 2010, 10:44:34 AM8/17/10

More importantly, they appear to be adjectives describing not the genes
themselves, but the hosts of the strains those genes originally came
from. Not the most sensible of questions.

Eric Root

Aug 17, 2010, 2:24:14 PM8/17/10
On Aug 17, 4:37 am, Klaus Hellnick <khelSPAMln...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

rec.music.makers.bagpipe

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.org

Aug 17, 2010, 4:46:59 PM8/17/10

What is the scientific explanation of Porkducken-Man's extraordinary
abilities?

(This "Jeopardy", do they get to fool around on that show?)

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 17, 2010, 5:18:27 PM8/17/10
On Aug 16, 9:12 pm, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>

From the logic of such things I assume Second Prize is a pair of
learning to play bagpipes videos.

Mitchell

Mike Lyle

Aug 17, 2010, 5:35:43 PM8/17/10

I tried the chanter in a desultory way, and found it unexpectedly
difficult. Stick with it, Chris.

The English, or Northumbrian, bagpipe sounds much nicer than the
penetrating militarized version which is now the Scottish standard.
(Search for Katherine Tickell, for virtuoso example.)

Many years ago now, I was in Florence heading Med-ward for Christmas,
and there was a busker playing the Italian kind: the fleecy side out,
and very sweet-sounding, and very evocative in the gloaming, with a few
wet snowflakes falling. The shepherd association of the bagpipe still
holds in Europe, and of course Christmas requires shepherds a lot more
than it does reindeer. I like to think this was a real shepherd down
from the hills.

--
Mike.

bobsyo...@yahoo.com

Aug 17, 2010, 11:51:11 PM8/17/10

"chris thompson" <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> human, and 1 part bird."
>
> If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> got it right (I did not).
>
> Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
> honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.
>
> Chris

What is Rush Limbaugh?

Dakota

Aug 18, 2010, 8:51:05 AM8/18/10

Sorry. That is incorrect. You forgot about the organism being 1 part human.

John S. Wilkins

Aug 18, 2010, 8:53:11 AM8/18/10
Pepsi...@teranews.com <bobsyo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

No, he's all pig.
--
John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, Bond University
http://evolvingthoughts.net

Nick Keighley

Aug 18, 2010, 9:16:24 AM8/18/10
On 17 Aug, 14:35, Richard Clayton <richZIG.e.clayZIG...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 16-Aug-10 7:29 PM, chris thompson wrote:
>
> > "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> > human, and 1 part bird."
>
> > If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> > got it right (I did not).
>
> > Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
> > honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.
>
> Who is Ann Coulter?

a character in "The Northern Lights"?

Walter Bushell

Aug 18, 2010, 12:35:35 PM8/18/10
In article <1jnfzev.1s8348n1paunwdN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,

jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> > What is Rush Limbaugh?
>
> No, he's all pig.

Now that is grossly insulting to pigs.

--
All BP's money, and all the President's men,
Cannot put the Gulf of Mexico together again.

Desertphile

Aug 19, 2010, 10:31:32 AM8/19/10
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:29:40 -0700 (PDT), chris thompson
<chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> human, and 1 part bird."
>
> If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> got it right (I did not).
>
> Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
> honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.

Who is Rosanne Barr?

--
http://desertphile.org
"Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz

Earle Jones

Aug 19, 2010, 2:59:17 PM8/19/10
In article <n1gq669aie6b45vtd...@4ax.com>,
Desertphile <deser...@invalid-address.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:29:40 -0700 (PDT), chris thompson
> <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "The genes of this organism were found to be 2 parts pig, 1 part
> > human, and 1 part bird."
> >
> > If you saw the show, you should refrain from answering, even if you
> > got it right (I did not).
> >
> > Remember, post your response in the form of a question, and on your
> > honor, limit your thinking (WITHOUT Google) to 30 seconds.
>
> Who is Rosanne Barr?
>
> > Chris

*
Jeopardy answer (what's the question?):