Idiot America redux: Will another Idiot show up at the Republican Convention?

J. J. Lodder

Jul 20, 2016, 10:38:15 AM7/20/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Answer is Yes, and the idiot is Mike Pence, Trump's running mate.

Pence is a creationist pur sang.
He believes that creationism should be taught in public schools
(under the guise of 'teach the controversy')

He also thinks that global warming is a myth,
and even doubts the link between smoking and cancer.

Stupidity really has become a virtue in the land of the free,

Jan

jillery

Jul 20, 2016, 2:33:13 PM7/20/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
It sounds like you're jealous the country you represent doesn't do
anything with global consequences.
--
This space is intentionally not blank.

*Hemidactylus*

Jul 20, 2016, 9:38:13 PM7/20/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I'm embarrassed ours does. I tend to be more empathic toward JJ than
others here.

JJ should hopefully feel safe with an ocean protecting him, Eri and
other Euros and Brits here from us. I don't feel so fortunate and Canada
should be pretty fucking scared shitless at this point. At least we will
benefit Mexico by building a wall protecting them from us. Canada might
follow suit on their own to keep the influx of refugees out.

Will New Zealand accept USian refugees after their long flotilla through
the Panama Canal and treacherous journey across the Pacific? Canada or
South America aren't far enough away when bat shit crazy guy gets the
nuclear football. We are so screwed!

jonathan

Jul 20, 2016, 10:18:13 PM7/20/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Trump is an embarrassment and that's why America
will go from electing the first black as
president to the first female president
and with the first ever 'First Gentlemen'
her husband Bill at her side.

And I'll put the intellect of Obama and Clinton
up against David 'they'll never vote leave' Cameron
or Theresa 'no more dirty immigrants' May any day
and win.

> Jan

jillery

Jul 21, 2016, 12:33:12 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 21:34:18 -0400, *Hemidactylus*
<ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

>On 07/20/2016 02:33 PM, jillery wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:36:01 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
>> Lodder) wrote:
>>
>>> Answer is Yes, and the idiot is Mike Pence, Trump's running mate.
>>>
>>> Pence is a creationist pur sang.
>>> He believes that creationism should be taught in public schools
>>> (under the guise of 'teach the controversy')
>>>
>>> He also thinks that global warming is a myth,
>>> and even doubts the link between smoking and cancer.
>>>
>>> Stupidity really has become a virtue in the land of the free,
>>

>> It sounds like you're jealous the country you represent doesn't do
>> anything with global consequences.
>
>I'm embarrassed ours does.

I'm embarrassed that our country sometimes acts stupidly. I would
hope the citizens of other countries are equally embarrassed by their
nation's bumblings. But the U.S. is the gorilla in the living room;
whatever it does is necessarily going to affect the rest of the world,
for good or ill.

>I tend to be more empathic toward JJ than others here.

Nothing wrong with empathy. Speaking for myself, I would be more
inclined to agree with JJ's comments if they weren't phrased to imply
U.S. flaws are distinctive to, or characteristic of, the U.S.

JJ is rightfully concerned about the large plurality which is
attracted to Trump's rhetoric, but then ignores the even larger
plurality which is repelled by it.

You might appreciate this:

<https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2016/07/20/protestor-builds-wall-around-donald-trumps-star-on-hollywoods-walk-of-fame/>

<http://tinyurl.com/zawhu8w>

"Of course my question is this: Why does he have a star in the first
place?"

>JJ should hopefully feel safe with an ocean protecting him, Eri and
>other Euros and Brits here from us. I don't feel so fortunate and Canada
>should be pretty fucking scared shitless at this point. At least we will
>benefit Mexico by building a wall protecting them from us. Canada might
>follow suit on their own to keep the influx of refugees out.
>
>Will New Zealand accept USian refugees after their long flotilla through
>the Panama Canal and treacherous journey across the Pacific? Canada or
>South America aren't far enough away when bat shit crazy guy gets the
>nuclear football. We are so screwed!

I decided Trump was an insane and incoherent megalomaniac when I
first heard of his Atlantic City adventures. Apparently such
personality traits aren't a hindrance in some businesses. His birther
rants against Obama confimed my decision. Nothing he has said or done
during his political campaign has persuaded me otherwise.

If Trump gets control of the nuclear button, there's no corner on
Earth that's safe from the consequences. Rather than waste your money
running away, just follow the instructions posted on some beaches for
what to do when you see a tsunami:

1: Put your head between your legs.
2: Kiss your ass goodbye.

Rolf

Jul 21, 2016, 1:43:12 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"*Hemidactylus*" <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote in message
I am sad having to report that from this side of the pond, all I can do is
to concur.

But there's hope, learned the other day that Iceland grows one meter per
century due to plates moving in opposite directions east to west.

Rolf

Jul 21, 2016, 1:58:12 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"jillery" <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Armageddon has just begun, and America has not yet awakened to the reality
of the new world order and its own pitiful condition. When you have been on
top of the world for a couple of centuries it may be convenient to stay on
the ostrich walk. I may be wrong but my amateur's thoughts on the subject is
that the US has squandered its national fortune on too many disatrous wars.
Walking with your head between your legs is not the way of getting where you
want to go.

Earle Jones27

Jul 21, 2016, 2:13:11 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
*
I, too am more empathetic toward JJ Lodder than most here. He is a
European (from the Netherlands, if I am not mistaken) who calls out the
many weaknesses of the USA, which should be obvious to all of us. The
USA is overrun by a bunch of uneducated boors, whose shortcomings
threaten the free world. The current VP candidate, Mike Pence, is the
texbook case of a Jesus freak run wild.

Pence's beliefs, based on his so-called "faith", will drive us all to
become a third-world (or maybe a fourth-world) nation. The problem is
we have the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. Pence is a bigger
and scarier threat than Trump, who is a fat show-business clown and
ignorant buffoon.

I spent some time in the Netherlands. My lab did some work with
Phillips (a great electronics/products company) in Eindhoven and I met
many folks there. To a man, delightful bright and serious people.

I only wish my country was more like The Netherlands.

Canada is another civilized country. So is Japan, where I lived for
some eight years.

earle (American)
*

jillery

Jul 21, 2016, 7:13:11 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 07:54:04 +0200, "Rolf" <rolf.a...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Armageddon has just begun, and America has not yet awakened to the reality
>of the new world order and its own pitiful condition. When you have been on
>top of the world for a couple of centuries it may be convenient to stay on
>the ostrich walk. I may be wrong but my amateur's thoughts on the subject is
>that the US has squandered its national fortune on too many disatrous wars.
>Walking with your head between your legs is not the way of getting where you
>want to go.

Your wailing is understandable but premature. Trump isn't President
yet. At least wait for the fat lady to sing before you declare
Armageddon.

J. J. Lodder

Jul 21, 2016, 8:23:11 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

> On 07/20/2016 02:33 PM, jillery wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:36:01 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
> > Lodder) wrote:
> >
> >> Answer is Yes, and the idiot is Mike Pence, Trump's running mate.
> >>
> >> Pence is a creationist pur sang.
> >> He believes that creationism should be taught in public schools
> >> (under the guise of 'teach the controversy')
> >>
> >> He also thinks that global warming is a myth,
> >> and even doubts the link between smoking and cancer.
> >>
> >> Stupidity really has become a virtue in the land of the free,
> >

> > It sounds like you're jealous the country you represent doesn't do
> > anything with global consequences.
>
> I'm embarrassed ours does. I tend to be more empathic toward JJ than
> others here.
>
> JJ should hopefully feel safe with an ocean protecting him, Eri and
> other Euros and Brits here from us. I don't feel so fortunate and Canada
> should be pretty fucking scared shitless at this point. At least we will
> benefit Mexico by building a wall protecting them from us. Canada might
> follow suit on their own to keep the influx of refugees out.

Oceans make little difference nowadays.
The USA even has a 'The Hague Invasion Act',
that says they must invade The Hague
whenever they feel like it,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Jul 21, 2016, 8:23:11 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
It wouldn't be so bad if he were just a Jesus freak.
The real problem is that he is a denialst with respect
to all of physical reality that doesn't suit him.
That too wouldn't be so bad by itself
if he wouldn't try to impose his own ignorance and prejudices on others.

> Pence's beliefs, based on his so-called "faith", will drive us all to
> become a third-world (or maybe a fourth-world) nation. The problem is
> we have the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. Pence is a bigger
> and scarier threat than Trump, who is a fat show-business clown and
> ignorant buffoon.

There is a nice paradox there.
Trump has complained loudly that the USA
feels like a third world country in many places.
Yet as running mate he chooses someone
who personifies the fact that the USA
-is- a third world country on the inside.
Guess Trump realises that he needs the third world vote
to have any chance at all.

> I spent some time in the Netherlands. My lab did some work with
> Phillips (a great electronics/products company) in Eindhoven and I met
> many folks there. To a man, delightful bright and serious people.

Alas, Philips is no longer a great electronics company.
Even the light division is being sold off.
The Nat Lab likewise has gone done the drain, in all but name.
All that remains is the medical instruments division.

> I only wish my country was more like The Netherlands.

The Netherlands too isn't what it was.
There is an extreme right wing party nowadays
(Mr Wilders, you can find him at Trump's convention these days)
that gets about 30% of the vote.

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Jul 21, 2016, 8:23:11 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
??? I represent a country? That's news to me.

Jan

jillery

Jul 21, 2016, 9:18:11 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
One can express a rational POV without resorting to attention-grabbing
troll tactics. An irony here is that many of JJ's comments share that
characteristic with Trump's.

>Pence's beliefs, based on his so-called "faith", will drive us all to
>become a third-world (or maybe a fourth-world) nation. The problem is
>we have the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. Pence is a bigger
>and scarier threat than Trump, who is a fat show-business clown and
>ignorant buffoon.
>
>I spent some time in the Netherlands. My lab did some work with
>Phillips (a great electronics/products company) in Eindhoven and I met
>many folks there. To a man, delightful bright and serious people.
>
>I only wish my country was more like The Netherlands.
>
>Canada is another civilized country. So is Japan, where I lived for
>some eight years.
>
>earle (American)
>*

jillery

Jul 21, 2016, 9:18:11 AM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 14:18:58 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

>jillery <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:36:01 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
>> Lodder) wrote:
>>
>> >Answer is Yes, and the idiot is Mike Pence, Trump's running mate.
>> >
>> >Pence is a creationist pur sang.
>> >He believes that creationism should be taught in public schools
>> >(under the guise of 'teach the controversy')
>> >
>> >He also thinks that global warming is a myth,
>> >and even doubts the link between smoking and cancer.
>> >
>> >Stupidity really has become a virtue in the land of the free,
>>

>> It sounds like you're jealous the country you represent doesn't do
>> anything with global consequences.
>
>??? I represent a country? That's news to me.

So you're without a country. I wonder if someone wrote a book about
that.

Jonathan

Jul 21, 2016, 7:03:09 PM7/21/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 7/21/2016 8:18 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:

> There is a nice paradox there.
> Trump has complained loudly that the USA
> feels like a third world country in many places.

He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
to the right wing.

> Yet as running mate he chooses someone
> who personifies the fact that the USA
> -is- a third world country on the inside.
> Guess Trump realises that he needs the third world vote
> to have any chance at all.

Judging an entire group by the actions of a minority
is called racism, among other things. Should I call
you JJ 'Donald' Lodder?

America is not a third world nation 'on the inside'.

And has it occurred to anyone that a nation like
the Netherlands, with only 17 million people to
the 329 million in the US, should have a far
easier time providing for it's people?

Yet it doesn't~

Overall Best Countries Ranking
The overall ranking of Best Countries measures global
performance on a variety of metrics.

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-full-list

*Hemidactylus*

Jul 22, 2016, 12:23:08 AM7/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 07/21/2016 07:03 PM, Jonathan wrote:
> On 7/21/2016 8:18 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>

>> There is a nice paradox there.
>> Trump has complained loudly that the USA
>> feels like a third world country in many places.
>

> He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
> to the right wing.
>

>> Yet as running mate he chooses someone
>> who personifies the fact that the USA
>> -is- a third world country on the inside.
>> Guess Trump realises that he needs the third world vote
>> to have any chance at all.
>>

> Judging an entire group by the actions of a minority
> is called racism, among other things. Should I call
> you JJ 'Donald' Lodder?

Criticizing the US is NOT racism. There's plenty to criticize about the
US that is racism. JJ has been kind. We are low hanging fruit. And JJ
has criticized his own country.

> America is not a third world nation 'on the inside'.

Depends on if you live in Appalachia or the inner city. Both are kinda
third worldish. Which suffered worse under the snip of the eugenics edicts?

Funny (NOT) how from post-Reconstruction to COINTELPRO the authorities
ensured that poor whites and blacks would not compare notes. Part of
what appealed to me about Free State of Jones is what could have been,
though I don't know that movie did much more than get that stoned bongo
playing guy out of a Lincoln commercial for a few hours.

> And has it occurred to anyone that a nation like
> the Netherlands, with only 17 million people to
> the 329 million in the US, should have a far
> easier time providing for it's people?
>
> Yet it doesn't~

Not sure what the Netherlands debt ratio is, but the US doesn't pay for
its meager provisions. We offload it to China and allegedly to a future
generation. But since Jesus is coming back soon who cares?

eridanus

Jul 22, 2016, 6:18:08 AM7/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
more or less. It is your manifest destiny to have a trump for president.
eri

jillery

Jul 22, 2016, 6:28:08 AM7/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 00:18:55 -0400, *Hemidactylus*
<ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

>On 07/21/2016 07:03 PM, Jonathan wrote:
>> On 7/21/2016 8:18 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>>

>>> There is a nice paradox there.
>>> Trump has complained loudly that the USA
>>> feels like a third world country in many places.
>>

>> He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
>> to the right wing.
>>

>>> Yet as running mate he chooses someone
>>> who personifies the fact that the USA
>>> -is- a third world country on the inside.
>>> Guess Trump realises that he needs the third world vote
>>> to have any chance at all.
>>>

>> Judging an entire group by the actions of a minority
>> is called racism, among other things. Should I call
>> you JJ 'Donald' Lodder?
>
>Criticizing the US is NOT racism. There's plenty to criticize about the
>US that is racism. JJ has been kind. We are low hanging fruit. And JJ
>has criticized his own country.

Do you really think a pedantic semantic defense really addresses the
substance here?

JJ likes to troll. His favored troll tactic is to make overblown
generalizations about the U.S. and then claim his critics are
reactionary. To describe that behavior as "kind" is, to put it
kindly, pandering.

>> America is not a third world nation 'on the inside'.
>
>Depends on if you live in Appalachia or the inner city. Both are kinda
>third worldish. Which suffered worse under the snip of the eugenics edicts?

I stipulate there are large areas where U.S. citizens live in
conditions that are similar to those of third-world countries. Whether
that justifies the claim in question depends on what parts one
believes characterizes the whole.

As a counter-example, I stipulate there is a significant percentage of
U.S. citizens who deny Evolution as fact. Their existence does not
support a claim that the U.S. as a nation is anti-science.

This point is also relevant to other contemporaneous threads, where
jonathan claimed that people with specific opinions didn't exist
because he believes those opinions are fringe. His claim is but the
obverse of JJ's coin. Both parties ignore facts in order to
rationalize their rants. The rejection of JJ's caricatures is not
support of jonathan's hyperbole.

J. J. Lodder

Jul 22, 2016, 6:48:08 AM7/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Jonathan <writeI...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/21/2016 8:18 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>
> > There is a nice paradox there.
> > Trump has complained loudly that the USA
> > feels like a third world country in many places.
>
> He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
> to the right wing.

How do you like this one?
<https://www.instagram.com/p/BH72RYNjXmc/>
Is it genuine?

> > Yet as running mate he chooses someone
> > who personifies the fact that the USA
> > -is- a third world country on the inside.
> > Guess Trump realises that he needs the third world vote
> > to have any chance at all.
> >
> Judging an entire group by the actions of a minority
> is called racism, among other things. Should I call
> you JJ 'Donald' Lodder?

Jillery (no doubt quite surprised
to find herself in the same boat with you)
must be pleased to discover another ueber-American
of the purest American race in this forum.
I think Jillery has recovered her senses in the meantime,
could you try to do the same?

> America is not a third world nation 'on the inside'.

Who am I to doubt the words of none other than The Donald himself?
Stronger even, he mentions for example New York city, which I left out.

Jan

jillery

Jul 22, 2016, 7:18:08 AM7/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Thank you for proving my point about you for me. Open mouth. Insert
foot. Shoot it off.

>> America is not a third world nation 'on the inside'.
>
>Who am I to doubt the words of none other than The Donald himself?
>Stronger even, he mentions for example New York city, which I left out.
>
>Jan

eridanus

Jul 22, 2016, 7:48:09 AM7/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
El viernes, 22 de julio de 2016, 11:48:08 (UTC+1), J. J. Lodder escribió:
> Jonathan <writeI...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 7/21/2016 8:18 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> >
> > > There is a nice paradox there.
> > > Trump has complained loudly that the USA
> > > feels like a third world country in many places.
> >
> > He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
> > to the right wing.
>
> How do you like this one?
> <https://www.instagram.com/p/BH72RYNjXmc/>
> Is it genuine?

Is it true the comment? Never mind. Do he has so much brain as to know
this? Or is he following some adviser?

eri

Mark Isaak

Jul 23, 2016, 1:18:06 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 7/22/16 3:43 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Jonathan <writeI...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/21/2016 8:18 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>>
>>> There is a nice paradox there.
>>> Trump has complained loudly that the USA
>>> feels like a third world country in many places.
>>
>> He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
>> to the right wing.
>
> How do you like this one?
> <https://www.instagram.com/p/BH72RYNjXmc/>
> Is it genuine?

No, it is not genuine (however much truth there may be to it). Don't
you know how to check things like that for yourself?

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"The evil that is in the world always comes of ignorance, and good

eridanus

Jul 23, 2016, 3:13:05 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
El sábado, 23 de julio de 2016, 6:18:06 (UTC+1), Mark Isaak escribió:
> On 7/22/16 3:43 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Jonathan <writeI...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
> >> to the right wing.
> >
> > How do you like this one?
> > <https://www.instagram.com/p/BH72RYNjXmc/>
> > Is it genuine?
>
> No, it is not genuine (however much truth there may be to it). Don't
> you know how to check things like that for yourself?

what about a little socializing by asking others their opinions?
You see? You have had the chance of rising a leg to piss on the tree.
eri

J. J. Lodder

Jul 23, 2016, 6:13:05 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
jillery <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 00:18:55 -0400, *Hemidactylus*
> <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

> >> He's a full blown racist, and he's pandering
> >> to the right wing.

> >> Judging an entire group by the actions of a minority
> >> is called racism, among other things. Should I call
> >> you JJ 'Donald' Lodder?
> >
> >Criticizing the US is NOT racism. There's plenty to criticize about the
> >US that is racism. JJ has been kind. We are low hanging fruit. And JJ
> >has criticized his own country.
>

> Do you really think a pedantic semantic defense really addresses the
> substance here?

Criticising abuse of 'racism', like you did in the past,
and like Jonathan is doing above is not 'pedantic semantic defense'.

Abuse of racism in this way disqualifies the speaker
as someone who is not to be taken seriously.
Just don't do it.

For comparison: Richard Dawkins has often be called a racist,
but only by islamists who say that all criticism of islam
by someone who is not 'one of us' is by definition 'racist'.

Jan

--
"Islam is not a race" (Dawkins)

J. J. Lodder

Jul 23, 2016, 6:13:05 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Without qualities even.

There is a book about that too,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Jul 23, 2016, 6:13:05 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
jillery <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 21:34:18 -0400, *Hemidactylus*
> <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On 07/20/2016 02:33 PM, jillery wrote:

> >> It sounds like you're jealous the country you represent doesn't do
> >> anything with global consequences.
> >
> >I'm embarrassed ours does.
>

> I'm embarrassed that our country sometimes acts stupidly. I would
> hope the citizens of other countries are equally embarrassed by their
> nation's bumblings. But the U.S. is the gorilla in the living room;
> whatever it does is necessarily going to affect the rest of the world,
> for good or ill.

And not just the gorilla, it also want to be the best loved one.

> >I tend to be more empathic toward JJ than others here.
>

> Nothing wrong with empathy. Speaking for myself, I would be more
> inclined to agree with JJ's comments if they weren't phrased to imply
> U.S. flaws are distinctive to, or characteristic of, the U.S.

Of course they are.
The cause of the trouble is your flawed constitution
and voting system.

> JJ is rightfully concerned about the large plurality which is
> attracted to Trump's rhetoric, but then ignores the even larger
> plurality which is repelled by it.

What I found most striking about it is the scary resemblance to 1984.
Hate, hate and hate.
You are condemned to seeing 'We all hate Clinton' commercials
for your daily hate minutes, for the next half year.
To bad her name isn't Goldstein.

Jan

Jonathan

Jul 23, 2016, 6:48:05 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
But America is exceptional, there is an American
in everyone just waiting to get out~

But seriously, when I say America is exceptional
I mean that America has two properties that translate
to it being the world leader, and it will become
an ever stronger world leader into the future.

The two properties are...

America has a very high level of democracy.
America has a very large population.

There may be better democracies, there may be
larger nations, but /none others/ optimize
the two.

Those two properties...combined...are unique
in the world and account for the US being
the strongest in the world.

And you know what that means?

The cliche, when America catches a cold the world
catches a fever is true.

And due to those two combined properties with each
world wide calamity America will recover faster and
will move FARTHER AHEAD of the rest of the world
each time the world suffers some setback.

Only America benefits, relatively speaking, from
world calamities, that's what makes America
exceptional.

The lesson being, democracies are destined to
rule the Earth. Better to be a democracy
and be an American ally, else fall behind
more and more with each passing year.

Take the Great Crash of Oct 08 for instance.

We caused it, it was America's fault for
letting corruption get out of control and
letting our democracy weaken with reduced
govt oversight, but the US economy is mostly
recovered and about to enter a boom time, while
the rest of the world is still mired in recession
or worse, and going nowhere fast.

So not only is America exceptional for it's
combined democracy and size, but...on top of that
the world has a strong vested interest in our
well being.

Sorry~!

>> America is not a third world nation 'on the inside'.
>
> Who am I to doubt the words of none other than The Donald himself?

Most of What Donald Trump Says is B.S., Fact-Checking
Website Says

PolitiFact checked 77 Trump statements and found that
76 percent of them were Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire.

In other words, for every four statements Donald Trump
makes, only one of them is true, according to the site.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015-12-21/fact-checking-website-donald-trump-lies-76-percent-of-the-time

Jonathan

Jul 23, 2016, 7:18:06 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Dawkins said all religions are a force of evil.
http://www.worldreligionnews.com/religion-news/atheism/richard-dawkins-still-says-religion-is-a-force-of-evil-even-after-stroke

Nothing appropriate or unbiased about that opinion, it's
paints an entire group with the same extremist brush
just as racists do.

You are the one that made a sweeping generalization
based on the actions of some. Saying (all of) America
is a third world nation at heart isn't a statement
that can be defended. And you should expect an
American to be offended.

> Jan

jillery

Jul 23, 2016, 8:33:05 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 12:09:57 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
You identify two of many things the U.S. shares with other countries.
Of course, your comment is correct if and only if you can identify
another country with a perfect constitution and voting system. Don't
be insulted that I don't wait for you to do so.

>> JJ is rightfully concerned about the large plurality which is
>> attracted to Trump's rhetoric, but then ignores the even larger
>> plurality which is repelled by it.
>
>What I found most striking about it is the scary resemblance to 1984.
>Hate, hate and hate.
>You are condemned to seeing 'We all hate Clinton' commercials
>for your daily hate minutes, for the next half year.
>To bad her name isn't Goldstein.

And how 'bout them Mets?

jillery

Jul 23, 2016, 8:33:05 AM7/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Since any alleged abuse of words isn't the substance here, but is
instead a transparent evasion of that substance, that's a "yes".
Perhaps Hemidactylus and Earle Jones will be surprised by your reply.

>Abuse of racism in this way disqualifies the speaker
>as someone who is not to be taken seriously.
>Just don't do it.
>
>For comparison: Richard Dawkins has often be called a racist,
>but only by islamists who say that all criticism of islam
>by someone who is not 'one of us' is by definition 'racist'.

A more accurate comparison would be to say that your post smacks of
ebonics.

J. J. Lodder

Jul 25, 2016, 3:28:01 AM7/25/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
You are the one who is evading unpleasant facts by generating noise.

The unpleasant fact (which this thread was about)
is that the USA now has a complete IDiot
as candidate vice-president.
So there is a real possibility that he will be the 46th president.

Jan

eridanus

Jul 25, 2016, 4:13:00 AM7/25/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I agree.

There is a possibility, but we ignore how great is the possibility.
As the things are increasingly going worse, anything is possible in US and in Europe, or by the way in the world.

http://thesenecatrap.blogspot.com.es/

or watch this,
<http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com.es/2016/07/some-reflections-on-twilight-of-oil-age_15.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+CassandrasLegacy+(Cassandra%27s+legacy)>

eri

jillery

Jul 25, 2016, 5:52:59 AM7/25/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 09:23:24 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Tu quoque back atcha.

>The unpleasant fact (which this thread was about)
>is that the USA now has a complete IDiot
>as candidate vice-president.
>So there is a real possibility that he will be the 46th president.

Which has absolutely zero to do with the meaning of racism. Apparently
you still haven't recovered from when your momma dropped you on your
head.

jillery

Jul 25, 2016, 6:12:58 AM7/25/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

J. J. Lodder

Jul 28, 2016, 4:57:50 AM7/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Of course it is. It is the most IDiotic country in the world,
and the only country that has elevated stupidity into a virtue.

> I mean that America has two properties that translate
> to it being the world leader, and it will become
> an ever stronger world leader into the future.

Dream on. The American century is over.

> The two properties are...
>
> America has a very high level of democracy.

Yes, according to Americans.

> America has a very large population.

A mere 4+ percent of the world population.

> There may be better democracies, there may be
> larger nations, but /none others/ optimize
> the two.

Few Americans are happy with the way their democracy is functioning,
and having an IDiot for candidate vice-president
embarrasses most of them.

> Those two properties...combined...are unique
> in the world and account for the US being
> the strongest in the world.
>
> And you know what that means?

You should have read 'Chimpasee Politics' by Frans the Waal.
It's about the right level.
One of the many lessons you could have learned from it
is that 'Strenth is weakness!'.
By advertising that you are the strongest
you invite others to join in coalitions against you.

> The cliche, when America catches a cold the world
> catches a fever is true.
>
> And due to those two combined properties with each
> world wide calamity America will recover faster and
> will move FARTHER AHEAD of the rest of the world
> each time the world suffers some setback.

Have some more happy dreams.

> Only America benefits, relatively speaking, from
> world calamities, that's what makes America
> exceptional.
>
> The lesson being, democracies are destined to
> rule the Earth. Better to be a democracy
> and be an American ally, else fall behind
> more and more with each passing year.

But of course, don't we all know that America has a manifest destiny,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Jul 28, 2016, 5:02:49 AM7/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Racism has nothing to do with the thread to begin with.
It is just Jonathan and you chanting Lalalala, I don't hear you,

Jan

jillery

Jul 28, 2016, 11:47:49 AM7/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 11:01:57 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Arguing about the word itself has nothing to do with this thread to
begin with. Instead, it's just your troll bait.

>It is just Jonathan and you chanting Lalalala, I don't hear you,

I speak for myself. If you had posted anything worth listening to, I
would have heard you. But as much as you might think I should hang on
your every word simply because you say it, your pedantic semantic
argument about what to call your troll just doesn't qualify. So tu
quoque back atcha.

eridanus

Jul 28, 2016, 12:27:48 PM7/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
it would be good to watch
The Brainwashing of My Dad Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3TeTxgNVo

a good watch

jillery

Jul 30, 2016, 3:07:44 AM7/30/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Please say how you think this video is relevant to this thread.
Otherwise, I'll just assume you're making some point that you think
isn't worth explaining.

eridanus

Jul 30, 2016, 6:17:43 AM7/30/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
do you think is not relevant? Then, it is not relevant.
eri

jillery

Jul 30, 2016, 6:57:44 AM7/30/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 03:16:44 -0700 (PDT), eridanus
>do you think is not relevant? Then, it is not relevant.

What I think isn't relevant here. Do you really think channeling
Steadly is the way to go?

Jonathan

Jul 30, 2016, 7:37:43 AM7/30/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
For instance? What's wrong with our Constitution?

The European love of Parliamentary systems
are more flawed than a two party system.

Our founding fathers understood the mathematics
of elections far better.

A Parliamentary system, with numerous parties
and no confidence votes where the govt could
fall at any time has a flaw that keeps such
govts weak and ineffective.

Such systems are strongly attracted to one
of two results:

Either one party tends to gather too much power
and stay in office excessively long, breeding
corruption.

Or no party has much power and the govt is weak
and indecisive.

While a two party system is attracted to
having very close elections where every
vote counts and even minor issues can
swing the election. Forcing politicians
to be very sensitive to public opinion.

But the founding fathers realized that
having very close elections could lead
to endless recounts, accusations of
cheating and undermine confidence in
the election process.

So they came up with the electoral college
which has the deliberate and wise effect
of greatly exaggerating a small difference
in popular votes. And at the same time
encourages the politicians to be more
conscious of the smaller states, as they
become more important in a system with
the electoral college.

On this side of the pond we stayed awake
during math class~

Money may be out of control in US elections
but I think you're going to see even a
billionaire can't buy the White House.

Our long primary season means our candidates
are thoroughly vetted, every last secret they
have ends up coming out, and that we're seeing
that with Trump's Russia connection that's
a good thing.

Jonathan

Jul 30, 2016, 7:57:42 AM7/30/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
We believe anyone should have equal rights, even
the idiotic like Trump. You have to have faith
in the people, Trump's appeal sends a message
to the other candidates that the people are
frustrated.

>> I mean that America has two properties that translate
>> to it being the world leader, and it will become
>> an ever stronger world leader into the future.
>
> Dream on. The American century is over.

Hardly, our economy is recovering fast while
the rest of the world is just staying afloat.

And in terms of the military, for instance
the combat tonnage of the US Navy is larger
then the next 13 largest Navies...combined.

Europe barely spends 2% of GDP on military
while the US is over 4%.

And it's the navy that makes a nation militarily
strong...watch this great US Navy commercial
that just screams in your face...

America's Navy - 100 Percent
video (0:31)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEtZ5r0CIYI&feature=youtu.be

And look at our US Marines hitting the beach in
Putin's back yard...Ukraine just yesterday.

USS WHIDBEY ISLAND and US Marines of 22nd MEU also in
Sea Breeze in the Baltic this weekend, ashore in Ukraine

pics

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CojsMAhWcAI4Q1F.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CojscgoXYAAahTz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cojsc9uXgAAQsrd.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CojsdgzWEAEwdPv.jpg

>> The two properties are...
>>
>> America has a very high level of democracy.
>
> Yes, according to Americans.
>
>> America has a very large population.
>
> A mere 4+ percent of the world population.

The only nations with larger populations
are China and India, and their democracies
are either non existent or deeply corrupt.

That was my point, the nation that has the
largest population combined with better
democracy wins, but don't let things
like facts get in your anti-American way.

>> There may be better democracies, there may be
>> larger nations, but /none others/ optimize
>> the two.
>
> Few Americans are happy with the way their democracy is functioning,
> and having an IDiot for candidate vice-president
> embarrasses most of them.
>
>> Those two properties...combined...are unique
>> in the world and account for the US being
>> the strongest in the world.
>>
>> And you know what that means?
>
> You should have read 'Chimpasee Politics' by Frans the Waal.
> It's about the right level.
> One of the many lessons you could have learned from it
> is that 'Strenth is weakness!'.
> By advertising that you are the strongest
> you invite others to join in coalitions against you.

The US has more allies than anyone else in the world.
Your opinions are derived from wishful thinking
and Trump-like self serving falsehoods. You're
responding like a Trump supporter would attack
Clinton. Showing the idiocy you see over here
is alive and well over there.

>> The cliche, when America catches a cold the world
>> catches a fever is true.
>>
>> And due to those two combined properties with each
>> world wide calamity America will recover faster and
>> will move FARTHER AHEAD of the rest of the world
>> each time the world suffers some setback.
>
> Have some more happy dreams.
>
>> Only America benefits, relatively speaking, from
>> world calamities, that's what makes America
>> exceptional.
>>
>> The lesson being, democracies are destined to
>> rule the Earth. Better to be a democracy
>> and be an American ally, else fall behind
>> more and more with each passing year.
>
> But of course, don't we all know that America has a manifest destiny,

Right, to spread freedom and democracy to the ends
of the Earth. What's wrong with that? If Russia
and China were free market democracies, the world
would be far better off, so would they.

For instance, according to the last democracy index
Iraqi democracy rates 11 spots higher than Russia.
and Russia is fading while Iraq is climbing.

With all the problems and setbacks in Iraq, we have
managed to plant the seed of freedom and democracy
in the very heart of Islam, it's no coincidence
the Arab Spring began almost to the say Pres Obama
started pulling our troops out of Iraq.

Democracy is difficult to establish and takes
a very long time, but it's worth the effort.