Dual-phase evolution in complex adaptive systems

Jonathan

Sep 27, 2016, 8:45:03 PM9/27/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

Dual-phase evolution in complex adaptive systems

In this review, we argue that recurrent phase changes
in the interaction density of system components
(i.e. density of underlying interaction networks)
constitute a general mechanism for self-organization
in biological complex adaptive systems (CAS), as well
as in some non-living complex systems. As a consequence,
we propose a common framework useful for reasoning about
complexity. We term this framework dual-phase evolution (DPE).

We then survey a body of literature, drawn from several fields,
about the role of networks and network connectivity in complex
systems. We show that the DPE framework identifies the common
features of the reviewed phenomena, and highlights a common
causal process.