Test?

David Greig

Jul 18, 2017, 2:45:06 PM7/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Someone said posting stopped. Checking.

--D.

Bob Casanova

Jul 18, 2017, 3:10:04 PM7/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 18:03:42 -0000 (UTC), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by David Greig
<dgr...@beagle.ediacara.org>:

>Someone said posting stopped. Checking.

Until today, there've been no new posts since the 6th,
including the two I made on the 7th (and I also checked on
Gurgle ion case the problem was at my end; same results).
And I sent you an email (to ediacara.org) on the 15th that
bounced.
--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

John Harshman

Jul 18, 2017, 3:20:03 PM7/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 7/18/17 11:03 AM, David Greig wrote:
> Someone said posting stopped. Checking.
>
> --D.

Several posts from various dates have just appeared. A couple are from
today. Does this appear?

Bob Casanova

Jul 18, 2017, 4:25:03 PM7/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 12:16:23 -0700, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by John Harshman
<jhar...@pacbell.net>:

>On 7/18/17 11:03 AM, David Greig wrote:

>> Someone said posting stopped. Checking.

>Several posts from various dates have just appeared. A couple are from
>today. Does this appear?

It does to me, as does the one I made earlier today. But not
the two I made on the 7th.

*Hemidactylus*

Jul 18, 2017, 8:00:05 PM7/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 12:16:23 -0700, the following appeared
> in talk.origins, posted by John Harshman
> <jhar...@pacbell.net>:
>
>> On 7/18/17 11:03 AM, David Greig wrote:
>
>>> Someone said posting stopped. Checking.
>
>> Several posts from various dates have just appeared. A couple are from
>> today. Does this appear?
>
> It does to me, as does the one I made earlier today. But not
> the two I made on the 7th.

No withdrawal symptoms here but I was getting a bit curious about what had
happened (sci.bio.evolution has been defunct for a long time). I saw some
limited discussion on sci.bio.paleontology on a thread about t.o. outage
and Ray was haranguing the poor atheists on alt.atheism.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/alt.atheism/fFhyDPkA5Dk

Damn that's a busy group that looks a hot mess. Good thing DIG does what he
does here. Bet people got some needed housework and other stuff attended to
with all the free time afforded by group outage.

*Hemidactylus*

Jul 18, 2017, 8:25:05 PM7/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
John Harshman <jhar...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On 7/18/17 11:03 AM, David Greig wrote:
>> Someone said posting stopped. Checking.
>>
>> --D.
>>
> Several posts from various dates have just appeared. A couple are from
> today. Does this appear?

Nope. Please try again.

J. J. Lodder

Jul 19, 2017, 12:55:02 AM7/19/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
David Greig <dgr...@beagle.ediacara.org> wrote:

> Someone said posting stopped. Checking.
>
> --D.

Yes. And in what appears now threading is still broken,

Jan

jillery

Jul 19, 2017, 1:20:04 AM7/19/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Correct. All post headers have three References: max, despite
multiple attributions in the quoted text. It appears to be similar to
the last time Darwin had a problem with threading, where it deleted
Referemces: lines from headers. As a reminder to DIG of his analysis
of that problem:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:02:37 +0000 (UTC), David Iain Greig
<dgr...@darwin.ediacara.org> wrote:

>On 2015-04-11, Erik Simpson <eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Fucking perl regexps.
>>>
>> A perl of wisdom?
>>
>The script that mangles email ('topost') had a pair of perl regexps that
>combined to drop any References: entry that started on a newline.
>
>They're commented out now.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Attributed to Voltaire

David Greig

Jul 19, 2017, 1:55:03 AM7/19/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 2017-07-18, David Greig <dgr...@beagle.ediacara.org> wrote:
> Someone said posting stopped. Checking.

There was actually nothing wrong with beagle per se, there was evidently a
problem in routing incoming messages to beagle from the mod relays; I
tweaked DNS to tell the orld that 'darwin' was now really 'beagle' and
it seems to have unjammed the flow - before, even though I said 'send mail
to beagle' somehow the relays were still trying to send it to darwin,
which I'd deleted from DNS. 'Okay", I said, "you want to see darwin,
fine, darwin exists, but it's really beagle's IP". And thi seems (??)
to have solved the problem.

--D.

dale

Jul 20, 2017, 2:55:05 PM7/20/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 7/19/17 1:17 AM, jillery wrote:
> three References

doesn't thread even a second nest sometimes, in other words a first
followup to the original post

--
dale - http://www.dalekelly.org

J. J. Lodder

Jul 22, 2017, 5:15:04 PM7/22/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
jillery <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 06:49:56 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
> Lodder) wrote:
>
> >David Greig <dgr...@beagle.ediacara.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Someone said posting stopped. Checking.
> >>
> >> --D.
> >
> >Yes. And in what appears now threading is still broken,
> >
> >Jan
>

> Correct. All post headers have three References: max, despite
> multiple attributions in the quoted text. It appears to be similar to
> the last time Darwin had a problem with threading, where it deleted
> Referemces: lines from headers. As a reminder to DIG of his analysis
> of that problem:

Unfortunately it is not that simple.
Some have none, despite being high in the tree.
Others have many more, without really searching I found one with seven.
It is not a matter of return delimited yes/no either.
Some of the references are mixed.
Neither is google the culprit.

I just don't know why it is broken the way it is,

Jan

jillery

Jul 23, 2017, 1:35:05 AM7/23/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:11:56 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

>jillery <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 06:49:56 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
>> Lodder) wrote:

>> >Yes. And in what appears now threading is still broken,
>> >
>> >Jan
>>

>> Correct. All post headers have three References: max, despite
>> multiple attributions in the quoted text. It appears to be similar to
>> the last time Darwin had a problem with threading, where it deleted
>> Referemces: lines from headers. As a reminder to DIG of his analysis
>> of that problem:
>
>Unfortunately it is not that simple.
>Some have none, despite being high in the tree.

Posts after 6/27 are the relevant subset here.

Other than OPs, I found none with no references. A cite would be
helpful.

>Others have many more, without really searching I found one with seven.

I found none with multiple reference lines, as contrasted to
concatenated references on a continuous line. Again, a cite would be
helpful.

>It is not a matter of return delimited yes/no either.
>Some of the references are mixed.

I have no idea what you mean by "mixed references". Again, a cite
would be helpful.