Our new alien overlords

Fredric L. Rice

May 21, 2010, 11:59:36 PM5/21/10
I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.

Their broken understanging of the classical Christanic mythologies
that they worship would tend to drive them in to not accepting the
fact that life has evolved elsewhere, and they would be driven even
more frothingly insensate when confronted with *intelligent* life
that evolved elsewhere.

Their beliefs make them think that they're special, the entire
Universe created just for them. Confronted with any undeniable
evidence, Creationists would yark off in to another arena of abject
denial of their own senses.

---
Nobody needs Texas
Does belief in astrology cause insanity? http://www.skeptictank.org/edm.htm

Boikat

May 22, 2010, 12:18:54 AM5/22/10
On May 21, 10:59�pm, fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:
> I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
> day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
> would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
> insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
> Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.
>
> Their broken understanging of the classical Christanic mythologies
> that they worship would tend to drive them in to not accepting the
> fact that life has evolved elsewhere, and they would be driven even
> more frothingly insensate when confronted with *intelligent* life
> that evolved elsewhere.
>
> Their beliefs make them think that they're special, the entire
> Universe created just for them. Confronted with any undeniable
> evidence, Creationists would yark off in to another arena of abject
> denial of their own senses.

That depends on the aliens. Think of the possible permutations...

1) Aliens land, discover that the vast majority of humanity believes
in a god, or gods, and...
A) ..decide that by and large, humanity is a pack of ignorant savages,
and..
a) ..leave for another thousand years.
b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant savages.
c) ..exterminate the ignorant savages.

2) ..have their own religious views, and...
A) ..decide that we are "unclean", and..
a) .. leave for another thousand years.
b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant heathens.
c) ..exterminate the ignorant heathens.

3..... There's plenty more, but why should I have all the fun?

Boikat

chris thompson

May 22, 2010, 3:18:15 AM5/22/10

I for one am tired of bowing down before my next Overlord. I wish they
would get their shit together and decide who it's going to be- cats,
aliens, naked mole rats...whoever. Until they decide, I am keeping the
vodka close and the rifle closer, because nothing spells freedom
better than a drunk with a gun.

Chris

Boikat

May 22, 2010, 3:49:39 AM5/22/10
On May 22, 2:18�am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

LOL! I'm going to quote that some time, some where!

Boikat

JTEM

May 22, 2010, 3:59:12 AM5/22/10

fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:

> I wonder what Creationist loons would think
> if the Earth actually some day was visited
> by intelligent aliens from outerspace,

Are we talking Greys or Reptilians? Because, man,
those Reptilians are bastards...

Message has been deleted

Frank J

May 22, 2010, 8:28:11 AM5/22/10
On May 21, 11:59�pm, fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:
> I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
> day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
> would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
> insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
> Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.
>
> Their broken understanging of the classical Christanic mythologies
> that they worship would tend to drive them in to not accepting the
> fact that life has evolved elsewhere, and they would be driven even
> more frothingly insensate when confronted with *intelligent* life
> that evolved elsewhere.
>
> Their beliefs make them think that they're special, the entire
> Universe created just for them. Confronted with any undeniable
> evidence, Creationists would yark off in to another arena of abject
> denial of their own senses.

The rank and file, and the more traditional peddlers of "scientific"
creationism might react that way, at least at first, but the IDers
would try to "keep the peace" under the big tent with "You see, we
were right, as we said all along, SETI used the 'design argument' and
now we know they used it successfully."

Though a subset of "creationists" in the general sense of promoting
evolution-denial at all costs, the IDers are their own "kind" of
"animal." Even the devout Christians among them have no problem
speculating that the designer might be deceased (as Behe did at
Dover), so a safe bet is that agnostics like Berlinski also have no
problem. I have "faith" that the IDers' skill at rhetoric, coupled
with their rank and file Biblical literalist fans' uncanny ability to
hear what they want to hear (note how they have tuned out Behe's
astonishing concessions) will soon have the rank and file convinced
that intelligent extra-terrestial life is consistent with a literal
Genesis. Remember that at one time a flat, young Earth at the center
of the Universe was the only acceptable "literal" interpretation. But
now we have heliocentic OECs who even concede that *life* is billions
of years old insisting that that is "the" literal interpretation.

Desertphile

May 22, 2010, 8:54:00 AM5/22/10

If the space aliens are evil, bent upon the domination of
humanity, they will *LOVE* the fact that much of humanity is
religious. It worked for Hitler, Stalin, Bush2, etc.

--
http://desertphile.org
"Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz

Cory Albrecht

May 22, 2010, 1:44:31 PM5/22/10
nmp wrote, on 10-05-22 07:55 AM:

> Boikat wrote:
>
>> 3..... There's plenty more, but why should I have all the fun?
>
> Assuming that we have something they want, whatever that could be but why
> else would they come here, they could decide to exploit our human
> superstitions and pretend to speak for the gods to be better able to
> profit from us. You know, like the Roman church has done for two thousand
> years.
>
> Nothing much would change.

The Goa'uld! :-)

(I've gone through the DVDs of 2.5 seasons of Stargate; SG-1 in the last
2 weeks. :-) )

Burkhard

May 22, 2010, 4:38:59 PM5/22/10

4) they ask if we saw their pet talking monkey, they lost it here
6000 years ago when visiting earth for a quick rest on their way home.
Oh, and they say sorry for the flood they caused when taking off
again, bad plumbing in their space craft, you just can't get good
plumbers this aeon.

5) they keep the cute ones who can be trained to do simple tricks like
solving Hilbert's sixteenth problem, as pets. The rest gets eaten

sasam

May 22, 2010, 5:04:35 PM5/22/10

Why focus only on creationists? Think of the general reaction at all
levels - so much less boring.

You assume the visitation will be widely broadcasted in the media and
accepted by majority opinion as an authentic intelligent alien visit.
Talks - rephrase - communication will then start immediately with the
world's heads of state and academics will be lining up to absorb
knowledge of such an advanced race. There will be a spectrum of
reactions from the religious world.

More probable is that an authentic visit will be undetected insofar as
such an advanced civilization will want to make themselves known to us
barbarians. The direct witnesses, reporters first on the scene and
shady men-in-black characters will probably be the only ones in the
know. In the unlikely case of such an event gaining substantial media
coverage the event will immediately follow our society's set and
ingrained patterns:

- The event will be big news in UFO fanatic circles next to 100's of
unauthentic events
- The main stream community at large will not notice and be distracted
by the next sporting event within an hour
- Academics will do their best to ignore this event - emperical
investigation into such an event in any way is not likely to be
performed by respected scientists.
- Internet forums will have a go for a short time about these
"crackpots"
- All will soon lose interest and the authentic event will be lost
from history

Cheers
Sam

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.org

May 22, 2010, 5:34:42 PM5/22/10
Fredric L. Rice wrote:
> I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
> day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
> would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
> insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
> Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.
>
> Their broken understanging of the classical Christanic mythologies
> that they worship would tend to drive them in to not accepting the
> fact that life has evolved elsewhere, and they would be driven even
> more frothingly insensate when confronted with *intelligent* life
> that evolved elsewhere.
>
> Their beliefs make them think that they're special, the entire
> Universe created just for them. Confronted with any undeniable
> evidence, Creationists would yark off in to another arena of abject
> denial of their own senses.

I assume the aliens would insist that we worship /their/ gods. Or
just worship the aliens.

Will in New Haven

May 22, 2010, 6:31:48 PM5/22/10

There are people who claim that things like this have already happen.
Unfortunately for their credibility, their evidence is "the evidence
has been suppressed" and they are also fucking morons who think
"mainstream" is best expressed as two words.

--
Will in New Haven

Paul J Gans

May 22, 2010, 8:33:38 PM5/22/10

But Chris, would you go 350 lighht years at great expense just to
get somebody to bow down? Seems excessive to me.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Paul J Gans

May 22, 2010, 8:31:46 PM5/22/10

My guess is that if they spent all that time and wealth to get
here, they'd have come for a reason. They would then do what
they came for. I'd bet on study. There have got to be better
food and energy sources.

chris thompson

May 22, 2010, 8:45:29 PM5/22/10
On May 22, 8:33�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

They're after our water!

Chris

Paul J Gans

May 22, 2010, 9:31:19 PM5/22/10

>The Goa'uld! :-)

Careful. That sort of thing leads to brain rot. Just like
spending too much time on talk.origins...

Paul J Gans

May 22, 2010, 10:03:29 PM5/22/10

Then let's p**s on them. Solves one of our problems... ;-)

Walter Bushell

May 22, 2010, 10:06:00 PM5/22/10
In article
<c897f89d-b891-40bd...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > But Chris, would you go 350 lighht years at great expense just to
> > get somebody to bow down? �Seems excessive to me.
> >
> > --
> > � �--- Paul J. Gans
>
> They're after our water!
>
> Chris

Hey, has anyone written a story where the aliens are after our men?

--
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Desertphile

May 23, 2010, 12:01:27 AM5/23/10
On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:06:00 -0400, Walter Bushell
<pr...@panix.com> wrote:

> In article
> <c897f89d-b891-40bd...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
> chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > But Chris, would you go 350 lighht years at great expense just to
> > > get somebody to bow down? �Seems excessive to me.
> > >
> > > --
> > > � �--- Paul J. Gans
> >
> > They're after our water!
> >
> > Chris

> Hey, has anyone written a story where the aliens are after our men?

1) Nobody would care if men were carried off.

2) They're welcome to them.

XaurreauX

May 23, 2010, 1:39:37 AM5/23/10
On May 22, 3:18�am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

"...nothing spells freedom better than a drunk with a gun."

PRAISE JEEZUS AND BE WARSHED IN HIS BLUD!!!

sunson

May 23, 2010, 4:57:42 AM5/23/10
On May 22, 8:59�am, fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:
> I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
> day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
> would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
> insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
> Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.

You anti-creationists obviously need to get a better picture of this
species' abilities.

They're already running space observatories looking for "Alien
Sinners", I'm sure you already knew that?

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=64184

""Just as there is a multiplicity of creatures over the earth, so
there could be other beings, even intelligent, created by God. This is
not in contradiction with our faith, because we cannot establish
limits to God's creative freedom," he told the newspaper. "To say it
with St. Francis, if we can consider some earthly creatures as
'brothers' or 'sisters,' why could we not speak of a 'brotheralien'?
He would also belong to the creation," he said. "

""Fr. Funes says that taking the image of the lost sheep in the
Gospel, 'we could think that in this universe there can be 100 sheep,
equivalent to different kinds of creatures. We, belonging to human
kind could be precisely the lost sheep, the sinners that need the
shepherd. God became man in Jesus to save us. In that way, assuming
that there would be other intelligent beings, we could not say that
they need redemption . They could have remained in full friendship
with the Creator,'"Catholic News Agency quoted him saying. "

i looked around to see if the post was made on Apr 01. Some people
don't need a dedicated Fool's day.

Cheers,

-Suraj

Burkhard

May 23, 2010, 6:29:22 AM5/23/10

Well, energy is energy, but with food, things are different. You'd not
believe the amount of money you can get a at some of the most
exclusive intergalactic restaurants for meals made form rare species -
the more remote and exotic part of the galaxy the better. Furthermore,
humans taste quite vile, so you need the best and most famous chefs to
design a sauce to get with it, making the dish even more desirable.
The only part of the human you can eat is the inner ear,and even that
is poisonous unless prepared right. There is also a persistent rumour
that eating it enhances the eater' sense of humour, the most priced
thing amongst the star-faring species.

With prices for a pound of human inner ear at the main markets close
to 70000 nag-adah, spending a little bit of energy to travel to earth
for a harvest is extremely lucrative.

Desertphile

May 23, 2010, 8:42:26 AM5/23/10

What, you never saw "I Come in Peace?"

Desertphile

May 23, 2010, 8:41:16 AM5/23/10
On Sun, 23 May 2010 01:57:42 -0700 (PDT), sunson
<sun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 22, 8:59�am, fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:
> > I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
> > day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
> > would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
> > insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
> > Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.

> You anti-creationists obviously need to get a better picture of this
> species' abilities.
>
> They're already running space observatories looking for "Alien
> Sinners", I'm sure you already knew that?
>
> http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=64184
>
> ""Just as there is a multiplicity of creatures over the earth, so
> there could be other beings, even intelligent, created by God. This is
> not in contradiction with our faith, because we cannot establish
> limits to God's creative freedom," he told the newspaper. "To say it
> with St. Francis, if we can consider some earthly creatures as
> 'brothers' or 'sisters,' why could we not speak of a 'brotheralien'?
> He would also belong to the creation," he said. "

So.... the Bible really is a cookbook after all?! Way cool!

> ""Fr. Funes says that taking the image of the lost sheep in the
> Gospel, 'we could think that in this universe there can be 100 sheep,
> equivalent to different kinds of creatures. We, belonging to human
> kind could be precisely the lost sheep, the sinners that need the
> shepherd. God became man in Jesus to save us. In that way, assuming
> that there would be other intelligent beings, we could not say that
> they need redemption . They could have remained in full friendship
> with the Creator,'"Catholic News Agency quoted him saying. "

Any space aliens we meet, if ever, may likely be atheists. They
would have to be extremely clever to travel so much space.

> i looked around to see if the post was made on Apr 01. Some people
> don't need a dedicated Fool's day.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Suraj

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 1:16:32 PM5/23/10
Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article
><c897f89d-b891-40bd...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
> chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > But Chris, would you go 350 lighht years at great expense just to

>> > get somebody to bow down? ?Seems excessive to me.
>> >
>> > --
>> > ? ?--- Paul J. Gans

>> They're after our water!
>>
>> Chris

>Hey, has anyone written a story where the aliens are after our men?

Nah. Women, of course, have commented on that right and left.
The notion is that "aliens" are a substitute for our unconscious
desires that must be repressed in order to save the world.

For myself, I dunno. I just read the stuff and don't worry too
much about it.

Darrell Stec

May 23, 2010, 1:31:15 PM5/23/10
sunson wrote:

Nothing new. Thomas Aquinas addressed the issue of UFOs though they were
not called that in his treatise.

--
Later,
Darrell

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 1:43:28 PM5/23/10

Well, that's the official line. However last time I ate out
I was served a dish where the main course not only consisted
of wrong-handed proteins, it was made with anti-matter.

Talk about acid indigestion...

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 1:40:18 PM5/23/10

Where do you folks come from? I need to know so that I can
stay away from it.

sasam

May 23, 2010, 4:09:06 PM5/23/10
On May 23, 12:31�am, Will in New Haven

While you're at it, why not correct empirical as well?
For that matter - have a look at your spelling of "have happen".
If English is your native tongue this would be unforgivable.
Or just give some response which did not by-pass your frontal cortex
directly from your medulla oblongata.

Sam

Will in New Haven

May 23, 2010, 4:20:05 PM5/23/10

I'm so sorry. I was trying to be more dismissive. Your comments
aroused contempt, not interest. Fuck off.

Burkhard

May 23, 2010, 4:25:19 PM5/23/10
On 23 May, 18:43, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

That's nothing. I was in a restaurant where they kept pasta and
antipasta on the shame shelf. Talk about crazy!!

chris thompson

May 23, 2010, 4:33:36 PM5/23/10
On May 23, 1:40�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

Where does ear wax come from? Belly button lint? Those nasty dust
balls under your bed when you put off vacuuming for 2 weeks. Where do
ticks come from?

There must be one central location where nastiness arises. I am not
sure where it is but it is sure as hell out there. Maybe we can do a
triangulation on Ray Martinez, Nashton, and Pagano. I would suggest
you try it but I like you too much- I have a feeling it would lead you
to something very much like "The Mountains of Madness".

Chris

Will in New Haven

May 23, 2010, 4:31:34 PM5/23/10

I know people who keep flammable and inflammable items in the same
shed.

--
Will in New Haven

what I'm listening to now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EoNd_maBbY&playnext_from=TL&videos=LIoZvdSAz20&shuffle=337&playnext=2

James Beck

May 23, 2010, 6:53:23 PM5/23/10
wrote:

>In article

><c897f89d-b891-40bd...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
> chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > But Chris, would you go 350 lighht years at great expense just to
>> > get somebody to bow down? �Seems excessive to me.
>> >
>> > --
>> > � �--- Paul J. Gans
>>
>> They're after our water!
>>
>> Chris
>
>Hey, has anyone written a story where the aliens are after our men?

There was one on Star Trek The Next Generation in which the leader of
a female-dominant alien society wanted Riker.

John Vreeland

May 23, 2010, 9:10:42 PM5/23/10
On Sun, 23 May 2010 13:31:15 -0400, Darrell Stec <dar...@neo.rr.com>
wrote:

The discovery of the New World by Europeans was roughly the equivalent
sort of thing, though perhaps a better analogy would bethe
rediscovery of China. The Chinese thought the existence of China
disproved Christianity, since Christ had not bothered to visit there.

--
My years on the mudpit that is Usnenet have taught me one important thing: three Creation Scientists can have a serious conversation, if two of them are sock puppets.

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 9:40:49 PM5/23/10

The difference between the two has been a burning issue for years.

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 9:40:11 PM5/23/10

Must have been boom times in that restaurant!

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 9:42:41 PM5/23/10
chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On May 23, 1:40 pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
>> XaurreauX <xaurre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >On May 22, 3:18 am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>
>> >wrote:
>> >"...nothing spells freedom better than a drunk with a gun."
>> >PRAISE JEEZUS AND BE WARSHED IN HIS BLUD!!!
>>
>> Where do you folks come from?  I need to know so  that I can
>> stay away from it.
>>
>> --
>>    --- Paul J. Gans

>Where does ear wax come from? Belly button lint? Those nasty dust
>balls under your bed when you put off vacuuming for 2 weeks. Where do
>ticks come from?

These come from pre-Pasteurian natural fermentation.

>There must be one central location where nastiness arises. I am not
>sure where it is but it is sure as hell out there. Maybe we can do a
>triangulation on Ray Martinez, Nashton, and Pagano. I would suggest
>you try it but I like you too much- I have a feeling it would lead you
>to something very much like "The Mountains of Madness".

These are different. And since they are clearly too simple to
function as normal entities, they must have been specially created.

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 9:47:38 PM5/23/10

One of them impoverished interstellar societies, eh?

Greg G.

May 23, 2010, 10:17:15 PM5/23/10
On May 23, 9:40�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

I knew a place that had a meat cleaver that would cling to the meat.

Walter Bushell

May 23, 2010, 10:24:24 PM5/23/10
In article <6ckjv51c0q842ri8a...@4ax.com>,
John Vreeland <john.v...@ieee.org> wrote:

Nobody has made a religion where Christ came to China like Joe Smith did
for the Americas? Why there is a whole new market to be served.

chris thompson

May 23, 2010, 10:26:06 PM5/23/10
On May 23, 9:42�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

I would have thought that, by definition, they were irreducibly
complex.

Chris

Walter Bushell

May 23, 2010, 10:33:47 PM5/23/10
In article <htbpg0$nfi$4...@reader1.panix.com>,

No, no, no. Ante pasta is not repeat not made from antimatter. Ten grams
grams of antimatter (about a third of an ounce) would give you such
energy that you would not need to eat for the rest of your life and a
wild guess, me too, if we were both in Manhattan at the time.

Wikepedia

one gram of antimatter annihilating with one gram of matter produces 180
terajoules, the equivalent of 42.96 kilotons of TNT (approximately 3
times the bomb dropped on Hiroshima - and as such enough to power an
average city for an extensive amount of time).

Walter Bushell

May 23, 2010, 11:11:42 PM5/23/10
In article
<5d322ae4-65c8-4b29...@k31g2000vbu.googlegroups.com>,
chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

No, irreducibly simple.

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 11:32:48 PM5/23/10

>Wikepedia

Well, let's get to it!

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 11:31:49 PM5/23/10

No. Irreducibly simple. If they were any more simple they'd not
function at all.

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 11:33:35 PM5/23/10
Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article
><5d322ae4-65c8-4b29...@k31g2000vbu.googlegroups.com>,
> chris thompson <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > These come from pre-Pasteurian natural fermentation.

>> > These are different. ?And since they are clearly too simple to

>> > function as normal entities, they must have been specially created.
>> >
>> > --

>> > ? ?--- Paul J. Gans

>> I would have thought that, by definition, they were irreducibly
>> complex.
>>
>> Chris

>No, irreducibly simple.

Jeez, two minds and a single gutter...

Paul J Gans

May 23, 2010, 11:30:41 PM5/23/10

Unrequited love, eh?

Cory Albrecht

May 24, 2010, 2:05:11 AM5/24/10
Paul J Gans wrote, on 10-05-22 09:31 PM:
> Cory Albrecht<coryal...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> nmp wrote, on 10-05-22 07:55 AM:

>>> Assuming that we have something they want, whatever that could be but why
>>> else would they come here, they could decide to exploit our human
>>> superstitions and pretend to speak for the gods to be better able to
>>> profit from us. You know, like the Roman church has done for two thousand
>>> years.
>>>
>>> Nothing much would change.
>>>

>> The Goa'uld! :-)
>
>> (I've gone through the DVDs of 2.5 seasons of Stargate; SG-1 in the last
>> 2 weeks. :-) )
>
> Careful. That sort of thing leads to brain rot. Just like

Too late for that.

> spending too much time on talk.origins...

And that, too.

:-)

James Beck

May 24, 2010, 2:49:25 AM5/24/10

She seems to have thought so. Her society's males were small and
effeminate.

Cindy Hamilton

May 24, 2010, 11:22:08 AM5/24/10
On May 22, 10:06�pm, Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article
> <c897f89d-b891-40bd-9a74-d3dfd0a6d...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,

> �chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > But Chris, would you go 350 lighht years at great expense just to
> > > get somebody to bow down? �Seems excessive to me.
>
> > > --
> > > � �--- Paul J. Gans
>
> > They're after our water!
>
> > Chris
>
> Hey, has anyone written a story where the aliens are after our men?

Does the movie "Amazon Women on the Moon" count?

Cindy Hamiton

Mitchell Coffey

May 24, 2010, 12:46:29 PM5/24/10
On May 23, 9:40嚙緘m, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
> Burkhard <b.scha...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> >> Well, that's the official line. 嚙瘡owever last time I ate out

> >> I was served a dish where the main course not only consisted
> >> of wrong-handed proteins, it was made with anti-matter.
>
> >> Talk about acid indigestion...
>
> >That's nothing. I was in a restaurant where they kept pasta and
> >antipasta on the shame shelf. Talk about crazy!!
>
> Must have been boom times in that restaurant!

This was a nice thread, Paul, until you let it degenerate into a bunch
of flames.

Mitchell

Mitchell Coffey

May 24, 2010, 12:55:58 PM5/24/10
On May 23, 11:32�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
> Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
> >In article <htbpg0$nf...@reader1.panix.com>,

Your skills as a chemist should come in handy. As raw material, we
start by going to the cat market in Cairo and obtaining Abdel Nasser's
mouser. Back in the States, this would be converted into my aunt's
mascara, which as you know may be trivially transformed in the lab
into an antimacassar. From there it gets tricky.

Mitchell

Mitchell Coffey

May 24, 2010, 1:00:57 PM5/24/10
On May 22, 8:33�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
> chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That depends on the aliens. �Think of the possible permutations...

> >> 1) Aliens land, discover that the vast majority of humanity believes
> >> in a god, or gods, and...
> >> A) ..decide that by and large, humanity is a pack of ignorant savages,
> >> and..
> >> a) ..leave for another thousand years.
> >> b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant savages.
> >> c) ..exterminate the ignorant savages.
>
> >> 2) ..have their own religious views, and...
> >> A) ..decide that we are "unclean", and..
> >> a) .. leave for another thousand years.
> >> b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant heathens.
> >> c) ..exterminate the ignorant heathens.
>
> >> 3..... �There's plenty more, but why should I have all the fun?
>
> >> Boikat
> >I for one am tired of bowing down before my next Overlord. I wish they
> >would get their shit together and decide who it's going to be- cats,
> >aliens, naked mole rats...whoever. Until they decide, I am keeping the
> >vodka close and the rifle closer, because nothing spells freedom

> >better than a drunk with a gun.
>
> But Chris, would you go 350 lighht years at great expense just to
> get somebody to bow down? �Seems excessive to me.

Chris wouldn't, you wouldn't, and I wouldn't. But notice how all
three of us have always avoided working in management.

Mitchell

Mitchell Coffey

May 24, 2010, 1:08:11 PM5/24/10
On May 22, 3:18�am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>

"Nothing spells freedom better than a drunk with a gun!"

Surely this would today be the Texas State Motto had Santa Anna lost
the Alamo.

Mitchell Coffey

Mitchell Coffey

May 24, 2010, 1:12:55 PM5/24/10
On May 22, 4:38�pm, Burkhard <b.scha...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
[snip]

> 5) they keep the cute ones who can be trained to do simple tricks like
> solving Hilbert's sixteenth problem, as pets. The rest gets eaten

Much like the tenure process.

Mitchell Coffey

Paul J Gans

May 24, 2010, 3:59:12 PM5/24/10

I'm not up on my alternate universe lore. I find TV hard to watch
these days.

No, I don't know why.

Paul J Gans

May 24, 2010, 4:08:33 PM5/24/10

I'll say! Chemists are strictly prohibited by the rules of our
guild from transmuting matter into antimatter. We leave that
to the physicists.

Paul J Gans

May 24, 2010, 4:04:54 PM5/24/10

Certainly, but what does it count as?

Paul J Gans

May 24, 2010, 4:06:36 PM5/24/10
Mitchell Coffey <m.co...@starpower.net> wrote:

>On May 23, 9:40 pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Burkhard <b.scha...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>> >That's nothing. I was in a restaurant where they kept pasta and
>> >antipasta on the shame shelf. Talk about crazy!!
>>
>> Must have been boom times in that restaurant!

>This was a nice thread, Paul, until you let it degenerate into a bunch
>of flames.

I got a bang out of it.

Paul J Gans

May 24, 2010, 4:10:04 PM5/24/10

Publish and perish?

Paul J Gans

May 24, 2010, 4:09:16 PM5/24/10

Sure, but what has "in management" got to do with it?

Geode

May 24, 2010, 4:19:15 PM5/24/10
On 24 mayo, 21:08, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

very good!
Geode
.

James Beck

May 24, 2010, 5:35:41 PM5/24/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:59:12 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
<gan...@panix.com> wrote:

I almost never watch TV at all anymore. In my case, it was a
deliberate choice. In addition to everything else I was watching on
TV, I watched the entire OJ Simpson trial, decided that I had a
problem with TV, and stopped watching it. I haven't owned one since
then. I find that I miss it once in a while, but that's just too bad.

Paul J Gans

May 24, 2010, 6:52:03 PM5/24/10

Oh, I own one and I do watch news programs, but that's about it.

As for OJ, nobody seems to have learned much from it. We have
out of control police forces. A review of the stories about
cheating in the crime labs, lost evidence in cases, manufactured
evidence in other cases, etc. convinced me that a person without
means to fight back is doomed.

If you have money, on the other hand, you can twist the system
into knots. OJ doesn't matter nearly as much as the getting off
of the cop who deliberately attacked a bike rider in New York and
then arrested the rider for assault. Two other cops swore that the
bike rider attacked the cop. The cop got a minimal sentence and
was not convicted on the major charge. The other cops got reprimands.

Until that changes, cops who think that they can get away with
anything will continue to screw up cases like the OJ one -- and
folks with money will continue to literally get away with murder.

James Beck

May 24, 2010, 9:56:37 PM5/24/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:52:03 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
<gan...@panix.com> wrote:

There is an old saying that whenever there is a prosecutor in the
court room, there is always at least one criminal there.

The US is regularly criticized internationally for using high-pressure
tactics in its jails to extract confessions with the end result that
we have too many wrongful convictions at trial, never mind the plea
bargain system. The damage to the individual's long term economic
well-being merely from being arrested is dire.

While one might hope that juries would be rational and objective, I
have watched too many of them to believe that. In my estimation the
opposite is true. Juries (and judges) hold prosecutors to a low
standard of evidence.

At the same time, legislators have seemingly abandoned rational
sentencing in favor of feel-good politics with the end result that our
prisons are packed with petty criminals. The statistical evidence of
racial and/or class bias is overwhelming. Incarceration has become one
of our biggest "industries." The deadweight of it is hurting our
educational system and every other part of our social safety net.

William Morse

May 24, 2010, 10:47:17 PM5/24/10
Fredric L. Rice wrote:

> Nobody needs Texas

You are welcome to freeze in the dark. Or you can join the real world.

Free Lunch

May 24, 2010, 11:05:21 PM5/24/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:47:17 -0400, William Morse
<wdNOSP...@verizon.net> wrote in talk.origins:

>Fredric L. Rice wrote:
>
>> Nobody needs Texas
>
>You are welcome to freeze in the dark. Or you can join the real world.

How do we stop Texans from being fools?

Will in New Haven

May 25, 2010, 9:20:22 AM5/25/10
On May 24, 11:05�pm, Free Lunch <lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:47:17 -0400, William Morse
> <wdNOSPAMMo...@verizon.net> wrote in talk.origins:

> >Fredric L. Rice wrote:
>
> >> Nobody needs Texas
>
> >You are welcome to freeze in the dark. �Or you can join the real world.
>
> How do we stop Texans from being fools?

You can't stop _some_ of any group of people from being fools. Witness
the guy who started this thread, who is on the right side of all the
issues we discuss on talk.origins but manages to retain his identity
as a total nym-shifting asshole. Although he seems to have stopped the
nym-shifting for now.

Baja Oklahoma has some redeeming features.

--
Will in New Haven

Mitchell Coffey

May 25, 2010, 9:47:42 AM5/25/10
On May 24, 4:09�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

Perhaps if you were the sort of person who aspires to manage other
people you'd understand going 350 light years at great expense just to
get somebody to bow down.

Mitchell

Mitchell Coffey

May 25, 2010, 9:50:50 AM5/25/10
On May 24, 4:08�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

Are you allowed to transform lead into anti-gold?

Mitchell

Kermit

May 25, 2010, 10:15:00 AM5/25/10
On May 25, 6:47嚙窮m, Mitchell Coffey <m.cof...@starpower.net> wrote:

> On May 24, 4:09嚙緘m, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
>

> > Mitchell Coffey <m.cof...@starpower.net> wrote:

> > >Chris wouldn't, you wouldn't, and I wouldn't. 嚙畿ut notice how all

> > >three of us have always avoided working in management.
>
> > Sure, but what has "in management" got to do with it?
>
> Perhaps if you were the sort of person who aspires to manage other
> people you'd understand going 350 light years at great expense just to
> get somebody to bow down.

When I was in the military, we medics were once given a psychological
test. One of the things it was looking for was interacting with the
hierarchy. I knew that my responses would show clearly that I wasn't a
team player; I intensely dislike being told what to do, especially for
stupid reasons. (I understand the need for a military, and social
cooperation in general, but that academic understanding doesn't mean
that it's part of my skill set).

The psychologist pulled me aside later and noted that I "had a strong
desire to control others" and that she shared those characteristics
with me. Say what? All of the questions involved being controlled by
others. Apparently, those who fight for high rank in the pecking order
see folks as either peckers or peckees. She had no clue that there was
a significant minority of us who were not interested in that at all.
Not liking being bossed did not mean that I wanted to control others.

I *hated being promoted to area supervisor in the lab I once worked
for. I am currently the entire IT department at this location; I am
happy working on my own for the common good (well, the company's
profit anyway). I identify more with Taoist monks than Confucian
bureaucrats.

> Mitchell

Kermit

Kermit

May 25, 2010, 10:19:03 AM5/25/10
On May 22, 1:38�pm, Burkhard <b.scha...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 22 May, 05:18, Boikat <boi...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > On May 21, 10:59�pm, fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:
>
> > > I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
> > > day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
> > > would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
> > > insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
> > > Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.
>
> > > Their broken understanging of the classical Christanic mythologies
> > > that they worship would tend to drive them in to not accepting the
> > > fact that life has evolved elsewhere, and they would be driven even
> > > more frothingly insensate when confronted with *intelligent* life
> > > that evolved elsewhere.
>
> > > Their beliefs make them think that they're special, the entire
> > > Universe created just for them. Confronted with any undeniable
> > > evidence, Creationists would yark off in to another arena of abject
> > > denial of their own senses.
>
> > That depends on the aliens. �Think of the possible permutations...

> > 1) Aliens land, discover that the vast majority of humanity believes
> > in a god, or gods, and...
> > A) ..decide that by and large, humanity is a pack of ignorant savages,
> > and..
> > a) ..leave for another thousand years.
> > b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant savages.
> > c) ..exterminate the ignorant savages.
>
> > 2) ..have their own religious views, and...
> > A) ..decide that we are "unclean", and..
> > a) .. leave for another thousand years.
> > b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant heathens.
> > c) ..exterminate the ignorant heathens.
>
> > 3..... �There's plenty more, but why should I have all the fun?
>
> > Boikat
>
> 4) they ask if we saw their pet talking �monkey, they lost it here
> 6000 years ago when visiting earth for a quick rest on their way home.
> Oh, and they say sorry for the flood they caused when taking off
> again, bad plumbing in their space craft, you just can't get good
> plumbers this aeon.

Bwahahaha!
The scientists would be surprised, but accept this with sufficient
verification. The biblical literalists would howl, and start denying
the Garden and Flood myths as heresies.

> 5) they keep the cute ones who can be trained to do simple tricks like
> solving � �Hilbert's sixteenth problem, as pets. The rest gets eaten

Kermit

Kermit

May 25, 2010, 10:32:01 AM5/25/10
> My guess is that if they spent all that time and wealth to get
> here, they'd have come for a reason. �They would then do what
> they came for. �I'd bet on study. �There have got to be better
> food and energy sources.
>
> --
> � �--- Paul J. Gans

Think of the human efforts spent on various activities:
Conspicuous consumption.
Art.
Instinctive desire to control others.
Sex (I know tentacled tripods probably wouldn't find human women
attractive, even blonds with lipstick, but several decent sci-fi books
(and at least one movie) have considered conquest by merging with or
engineering local genes of the dominant species).
Religion.
A good practical joke.
Finding a new subject for a thesis.

But yes, curiosity is one, also.

Kermit

Desertphile

May 25, 2010, 12:08:31 PM5/25/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:05:21 -0500, Free Lunch
<lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:47:17 -0400, William Morse
> <wdNOSP...@verizon.net> wrote in talk.origins:

> >Fredric L. Rice wrote:

>>> Nobody needs Texas

>> You are welcome to freeze in the dark. Or you can join the real world.

I don't get it.

> How do we stop Texans from being fools?

That is like asking "How do we stop death and taxes?"

Most Texans, of course, ain't fools.

--
http://desertphile.org
"Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz

Paul J Gans

May 25, 2010, 2:10:48 PM5/25/10

<grin>

>The US is regularly criticized internationally for using high-pressure
>tactics in its jails to extract confessions with the end result that
>we have too many wrongful convictions at trial, never mind the plea
>bargain system. The damage to the individual's long term economic
>well-being merely from being arrested is dire.

Yes. This is very true.

>While one might hope that juries would be rational and objective, I
>have watched too many of them to believe that. In my estimation the
>opposite is true. Juries (and judges) hold prosecutors to a low
>standard of evidence.

I have spent time on a grand jury and have come to understand
that an assistant DA could get an indictment on a stuffed animal
if that was what was wanted. The attitude of my fellow jurors
was: let the trial court sort it out.

England, which had the same problem, has done away with grand
juries.

As far as trial juries are concerned, my service on them lets me
think that they *try* to do a good job. The problem there is that
good questions come up and there is no way to get them answered.
The jury can only consider what evidence has been brought to
bear by one side or the other. If neither side mentioned it,
the jury is not allowed to consider it.

This is very very frustrating.

Some jurisdictions allow jury questions by having the foreman
of the jury write a note to the judge who will then disallow
it or pose the question himself. This is NOT the case in New
York.

The entire system is very frustrating, more in civil cases even
than in criminal.

>At the same time, legislators have seemingly abandoned rational
>sentencing in favor of feel-good politics with the end result that our
>prisons are packed with petty criminals. The statistical evidence of
>racial and/or class bias is overwhelming. Incarceration has become one
>of our biggest "industries." The deadweight of it is hurting our
>educational system and every other part of our social safety net.

And our economy. Most small time crimes are plea bargained out
simply because the time served in jail waiting for trial is longer
than the sentence likely to be imposed. So it makes excellent
sense, including economic expense, to admit guilt, even if innocent,
and go free. Accepting trial means that you are saddled with bills
and almost certainly, if convicted, face a much longer sentence.

If you are OJ, or an equally rich defendant, you've got an excellent'
chance of beating the system. It takes a Bernie Madoff to be so
unsavory that he went to jail.

Paul J Gans

May 25, 2010, 2:12:35 PM5/25/10

It is a statistical thing. Rank states by population and then
by number of famous fools. The degree of correspondence is
amazing. South Dakota has few fools because nobody lives
there.

New York and California are loaded with them, as is Texas.

Paul J Gans

May 25, 2010, 2:18:08 PM5/25/10

I wasn't clear. You don't have to be in management to
avoid work.

As for your comment, given the possible major biological differences
"bowing down" is problematic. If the Interstellar Moss People
arrive and find a patch of moss on a tree, how much time are they
going to waste waiting for it to bow down?

Paul J Gans

May 25, 2010, 2:19:54 PM5/25/10

Absolutely not. Some of our bretheren got in trouble for doing
that some time past. They were convicted of producing something
more unsettling than derivatives and sentenced to be converted
to carbon dioxide and mineral ash.

It was unpleasant.

Paul J Gans

May 25, 2010, 2:31:10 PM5/25/10
Kermit <unrestra...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On May 25, 6:47 am, Mitchell Coffey <m.cof...@starpower.net> wrote:

>> > Sure, but what has "in management" got to do with it?
>>
>> Perhaps if you were the sort of person who aspires to manage other
>> people you'd understand going 350 light years at great expense just to
>> get somebody to bow down.
>>

>When I was in the military, we medics were once given a psychological
>test. One of the things it was looking for was interacting with the
>hierarchy. I knew that my responses would show clearly that I wasn't a
>team player; I intensely dislike being told what to do, especially for
>stupid reasons. (I understand the need for a military, and social
>cooperation in general, but that academic understanding doesn't mean
>that it's part of my skill set).

>The psychologist pulled me aside later and noted that I "had a strong
>desire to control others" and that she shared those characteristics
>with me. Say what? All of the questions involved being controlled by
>others. Apparently, those who fight for high rank in the pecking order
>see folks as either peckers or peckees. She had no clue that there was
>a significant minority of us who were not interested in that at all.
>Not liking being bossed did not mean that I wanted to control others.

>I *hated being promoted to area supervisor in the lab I once worked
>for. I am currently the entire IT department at this location; I am
>happy working on my own for the common good (well, the company's
>profit anyway). I identify more with Taoist monks than Confucian
>bureaucrats.

I think you are on to something. I too have strong tendencies
in that direction.

Burkhard

May 25, 2010, 4:42:49 PM5/25/10
On 25 May, 19:10, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

> James Beck <jdbeck11...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:52:03 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
> ><gan...@panix.com> wrote:

Sorry, can't help myself, too much temptation:o) See for the same
point in fancy words: Burkhard Schafer, Olav Wiegand, 'Incompetent,
prejudiced and lawless?'A Gestalt-psychological Perspective on Fact
Finding in Law as Learning (2004) Law, Probability and Risk pp.
93-108

SkyEyes

May 25, 2010, 8:00:13 PM5/25/10
On May 22, 3:18�am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com>

Hey, Chris, I didn't know you were from Arizona!

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
skyeyes nine at cox dot net

Walter Bushell

May 25, 2010, 8:06:30 PM5/25/10
In article <hth3r7$11l$3...@reader1.panix.com>,

Yes, but a conviction ruins a lot of job possibilities. OTGH, Rikers is
so horrible that many innocents do plead to get out, even though it
wrecks their life.

And they had the goods on Madoff

--
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Paul J Gans

May 25, 2010, 8:16:45 PM5/25/10

Thanks for the reference. Can you give a synopsis for folks
who won't have access?

[rest of my deathless prose deleted]

William Morse

May 25, 2010, 10:23:56 PM5/25/10
Desertphile wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:05:21 -0500, Free Lunch
> <lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:47:17 -0400, William Morse
>> <wdNOSP...@verizon.net> wrote in talk.origins:

>>> You are welcome to freeze in the dark. Or you can join the real world.
>
> I don't get it.

The reference was to the early 1970's oil crisis bumper stickers. Which
were often sported by those Texans (and residents of other Gulf Coast
states) who were fools, but they made the point that the Gulf Coast
supplies a lot of the domestic oil and gas used for energy in the US.
And as a plus for us true conservatives, Texas produces the most wind
power of any state.

>> How do we stop Texans from being fools?

> That is like asking "How do we stop death and taxes?"

My reply was going to be death panels :-)

Hidden Agenda

May 25, 2010, 11:53:29 PM5/25/10
sunson <sun...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 22, 8:59�am, fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:
>> I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
>> day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
>> would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
>> insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
>> Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.
> http://www.wnd.com/

LOL! Some rightarded idiot actually quoted WingNutDaily. }:-}

---
Nobody needs Texas
Does belief in astrology cause insanity? http://www.skeptictank.org/edm.htm

Hidden Agenda

May 25, 2010, 11:54:08 PM5/25/10

You have a Republican IQ. No offense.

Hidden Agenda

May 25, 2010, 11:54:31 PM5/25/10

Hold them under water until they stop.

Burkhard

May 26, 2010, 5:53:03 AM5/26/10
On 26 May, 01:16, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

Essentially, we looked at the way juries acquire facts from the
perspective of the psychology of learning. There is some interesting
literature on "vicarious learners" (think of lurkers at TO) who learn
by observing others debating, and the alternative model of active
learners who learn by getting involved and asking questions. We then
looked at the legal arguments that are made in some courts against the
right of juries to ask questions, and found that none of the concerns
(typically on bias) matches up to what we know about learning. What is
really behind this we claim is that the jury lost the right to be
active and to ask questions which it historically had at the time when
early empiricist epistemology promoted a "blank slate" picture of the
mind which passively absorbs information. As so often in law, this
historical context was forgotten, and new explanations made up to
preserve something that did not objectively made sense any longer
(typically a false dichotomy between adversarial and inquisitorial
process). In conclusion, there are neither good legal-systematic nor
scientific reasons to prevent the jury from asking questions, and it
should be encouraged. The raft of decisions saying otherwise are wrong
in law and in fact.

Steven L.

May 26, 2010, 9:59:59 AM5/26/10
"chris thompson" <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Until they decide, I am keeping the
> vodka close and the rifle closer, because nothing spells freedom
> better than a drunk with a gun.

Amen!

That is one of the most philosophico-moral statements I have seen in a
long time.

It should have been in the Declaration of Independence.

-- Steven L.

Steven L.

May 26, 2010, 10:06:54 AM5/26/10

"Paul J Gans" <gan...@panix.com> wrote in message

> Boikat <boi...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> >On May 21, 10:59 pm, fr...@skeptictank.org (Fredric L. Rice) wrote:
> >> I wonder what Creationist loons would think if the Earth actually some
> >> day was visited by intelligent aliens from outerspace, whether they
> >> would start screaming about "devils" and "demons" and that order of
> >> insane shit, or whether they would start screaming about "atheist
> >> Darwinist conspiracy" and that order of insane shit.
> >>

> >> Their broken understanging of the classical Christanic mythologies
> >> that they worship would tend to drive them in to not accepting the
> >> fact that life has evolved elsewhere, and they would be driven even
> >> more frothingly insensate when confronted with *intelligent* life
> >> that evolved elsewhere.
> >>
> >> Their beliefs make them think that they're special, the entire
> >> Universe created just for them. Confronted with any undeniable
> >> evidence, Creationists would yark off in to another arena of abject
> >> denial of their own senses.
>
> >That depends on the aliens. Think of the possible permutations...
>
> >1) Aliens land, discover that the vast majority of humanity believes
> >in a god, or gods, and...
> >A) ..decide that by and large, humanity is a pack of ignorant savages,
> >and..
> >a) ..leave for another thousand years.
> >b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant savages.
> >c) ..exterminate the ignorant savages.
>
> >2) ..have their own religious views, and...
> >A) ..decide that we are "unclean", and..
> >a) .. leave for another thousand years.
> >b) ..attempt to educate the ignorant heathens.
> >c) ..exterminate the ignorant heathens.
>
> >3..... There's plenty more, but why should I have all the fun?
>

> My guess is that if they spent all that time and wealth to get
> here, they'd have come for a reason. They would then do what
> they came for. I'd bet on study. There have got to be better
> food and energy sources.

Many invasions have taken place for the same reason you chose your home:
Location, location, location.

Germany didn't invade Holland and Belgium to get control of those
countries' resources. They were just on the natural invasion route into
France, so they had to be invaded first.

If our solar system is on a natural invasion route toward some other
galactic civilization, then we could just be conquered by aliens for the
same reason that Belgium kept getting conquered. They need our Solar
System for military staging points toward their real strategic target.

And as with Belgium, the fact that we're neutral in such conflicts won't
keep us safe.

-- Steven L.

Hidden Agenda

May 26, 2010, 10:41:43 AM5/26/10

They're already coming thousands of light years just to anally probe
the world's dumbest idiots. It's what aliens do for some unfathomable
reason, apparently.

---
SAVE TREES. WIPE YOUR ASS WITH AN OWL.

Desertphile

May 26, 2010, 10:46:01 AM5/26/10
On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:06:30 -0400, Walter Bushell
<pr...@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <hth3r7$11l$3...@reader1.panix.com>,
> Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

> > And our economy. Most small time crimes are plea bargained out
> > simply because the time served in jail waiting for trial is longer
> > than the sentence likely to be imposed. So it makes excellent
> > sense, including economic expense, to admit guilt, even if innocent,
> > and go free. Accepting trial means that you are saddled with bills
> > and almost certainly, if convicted, face a much longer sentence.
> >
> > If you are OJ, or an equally rich defendant, you've got an excellent'
> > chance of beating the system. It takes a Bernie Madoff to be so
> > unsavory that he went to jail.

Being paroled also means claiming one is guilty of the crime one
was convicted for even if one is not guilty.

In most states (perhaps all), a person in prison who is found to
not be guilty of the crime she or he is in prison for has to be
"pardoned" by the state's governor before being released.

> Yes, but a conviction ruins a lot of job possibilities. OTGH, Rikers is
> so horrible that many innocents do plead to get out, even though it
> wrecks their life.
>
> And they had the goods on Madoff

Desertphile

May 26, 2010, 10:51:26 AM5/26/10
On Tue, 25 May 2010 22:23:56 -0400, William Morse
<wdNOSP...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Desertphile wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:05:21 -0500, Free Lunch
> > <lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

> > I don't get it.

> The reference was to the early 1970's oil crisis bumper stickers. Which
> were often sported by those Texans (and residents of other Gulf Coast
> states) who were fools, but they made the point that the Gulf Coast
> supplies a lot of the domestic oil and gas used for energy in the US.
> And as a plus for us true conservatives, Texas produces the most wind
> power of any state.

Ah, thank you: it makes sense now. :-) So, the USA needs Texas
after all. Damn good thing Sam Houston killed all them Mexicans to
get it for us.

> >> How do we stop Texans from being fools?

> > That is like asking "How do we stop death and taxes?"

> My reply was going to be death panels :-)

A Death Lottery also seems like a great idea. Texans love killing
people via the electric chair and leathal injections, so they
should have a Death Lottery whereby citizens can choose to accept
$5,000 from the state every month, which they receive a serial
number for, and then at the end of the month the state draws a few
numbers, hunts down the holders of those numbers, and kills them.
The executions could be broadcast on TV.

Desertphile

May 26, 2010, 10:53:01 AM5/26/10

No need: much of American history was and is about drunks with
guns. Without alcohol, there would have been no American Civil
War.

Hidden Agenda

May 26, 2010, 10:50:48 AM5/26/10
Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

Well, nobody *lives* in New York, either.

Mitchell Coffey

May 26, 2010, 1:05:05 PM5/26/10
On May 26, 10:41�am, fr...@skeptictank.org (Hidden Agenda) wrote:

> Mitchell Coffey <m.cof...@starpower.net> wrote:
> >On May 24, 4:09�pm, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
> >> Sure, but what has "in management" got to do with it?
> >Perhaps if you were the sort of person who aspires to manage other
> >people you'd understand going 350 light years at great expense just to
> >get somebody to bow down.
>
> They're already coming thousands of light years just to anally probe
> the world's dumbest idiots. It's what aliens do for some unfathomable
> reason, apparently.

Look, maybe we've got it all wrong, maybe in their culture it's what
you do to show respect.

Mitchell Coffey

Mitchell Coffey

May 26, 2010, 1:18:35 PM5/26/10
On May 26, 10:53�am, Desertphile <desertph...@invalid-address.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 13:59:59 +0000, "Steven L."
>
> <sdlit...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > "chris thompson" <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Until they decide, I am keeping the
> > > vodka close and the rifle closer, because nothing spells freedom
> > > better than a drunk with a gun.
> > Amen!
>
> > That is one of the most philosophico-moral statements I have seen in a
> > long time.
>
> > It should have been in the Declaration of Independence.
>
> No need: much of American history was and is about drunks with
> guns. Without alcohol, there would have been no American Civil
> War.

Well, it certainly explains the willingness of the ranks to sustain
the high casualty rates. That, and the fact that opium-dissolved-in-
alcohol was the definitive ingredient in most openly available
medicinal preparations. Only laudanum can account for Cold Harbor.
If we'd had regular trade with Peru back then, the last of Pickett's
men would have drowned trying to swim the Susquehanna.

Mitchell Coffey

Desertphile

May 26, 2010, 1:39:42 PM5/26/10

Dan Carlin's podcast has an episode on the subject, titled
"History under the influence."

> Mitchell Coffey

It is loading more messages.