Charles Darwin opens new science lab in Lincoln

Burkhard

Aug 14, 2017, 5:15:05 AM8/14/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Charles Darwin (very very very....very distant relation) opens new
science lab at Lincoln University:

https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/896236941217325056

Martin Harran

Aug 14, 2017, 9:40:05 AM8/14/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 10:10:19 +0100, Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Charles Darwin (very very very....very distant relation) opens new
>science lab at Lincoln University:
>
>https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/896236941217325056

Excellent!

jillery

Aug 14, 2017, 1:45:05 PM8/14/17
wrote:

>Charles Darwin (very very very....very distant relation) opens new
>science lab at Lincoln University:
>
>https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/896236941217325056

I hope it's a Galapagos tortoise.

--
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Attributed to Voltaire

The Incredibly Lucky JTEM

Aug 18, 2017, 5:50:04 PM8/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Burkhard wrote:

> Charles Darwin (very very very....very distant relation) opens new
> science lab at Lincoln University:

Ironic, isn't it? The man shares the same name as the
famous Darwin who never-ever performed science.

Seriously, get an education. Read Darwin's work. Darwin argued
logic, what he thought was logical, and never testing
ideas (experimented). Even his "Observations" were cherry
picked. If it didn't support his "Argument" he ignored it.
Then there's the fact that he was unprincipled.

Darwin took an old idea -- Common Descent -- and did a
very bad job at describing it. He plagiarized Wallace,
even "Accidentally" destroying all his correspondences
with the man (the evidence) but still did a shitty job
at relating his work. And the one theory the man did
actually come up with, "Pangenesis," he had plagiarized
from Lamarkism.

The fact is, and this is indisputable, Darwin's greatest
impact on science was setting back evolutionary biology
by a matter of decades, which he accomplished single
handedly by becoming the face of Naturalism and
rejecting Mendel... another man whose correspondence
vanished...

Ignorant jackass cling to the myth of Darwin the same
way little children will insist that Columbus discovered
America...

Grow up. Care about facts for a change.

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/tagged/KKK

Burkhard

Aug 18, 2017, 5:55:04 PM8/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
yawn

Ray Martinez

Aug 18, 2017, 7:00:05 PM8/18/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Note that Wallace is the saint in the above commentary and Darwin is the ravenous sinner.

Wallace ended up concluding that an invisible spirit world does indeed exist. He came to this conclusion from attending seances for many years. In biblical theology the seance is a consultation with demons who portray themselves as dead human beings speaking from "the other side." And based on the existence of THIS spirit world, Wallace concluded that natural selection had aid in producing the human brain.

This is why science excommunicated Wallace long ago as a heretic.

Ray

Ernest Major

Aug 19, 2017, 6:55:04 AM8/19/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I thought that you knew enough about Victorian science to recognise this
as a work of fiction.

--
alias Ernest Major

solar penguin

Aug 21, 2017, 10:10:05 AM8/21/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 22:51:35 +0100, Burkhard wrote...

> The Incredibly Lucky JTEM wrote:
>> Burkhard wrote:
>>
>>> Charles Darwin (very very very....very distant relation) opens new
>>> science lab at Lincoln University:
>>
>> Ironic, isn't it? The man shares the same name as the famous Darwin

It wasn't a man. Did you even watch the video?

Burkhard

Aug 21, 2017, 10:20:05 AM8/21/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
You seem to have mixed up the attributions, I did not write this, that
was JTEM.His inability to distinguish turtles from people is one of his
more minor shortcomings.

solar penguin

Aug 21, 2017, 10:25:03 AM8/21/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:16:40 +0100, Burkhard wrote...
Oops. Sorry.

Martin Harran

Aug 22, 2017, 3:05:05 AM8/22/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Keeping track of alter egos can be tricky.

The Incredibly Lucky JTEM

Aug 23, 2017, 3:45:04 AM8/23/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
solar penguin wrote:

> It wasn't a man.

Darwin wasn't a scientist, and he never came
up with evolution.

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/164358779163

The Incredibly Lucky JTEM

Aug 23, 2017, 3:45:04 AM8/23/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Burkhard wrote:

> You seem to have mixed up the attributions,

You think Darwin "Discovered" evolution. You're
a nimrod.

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/164358779163

The Incredibly Lucky JTEM

Aug 23, 2017, 3:50:03 AM8/23/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Ray Martinez wrote:

> Wallace ended up concluding that an invisible spirit world does indeed exist.

So you're a mental case, huh?

Because it was Wallace, not Darwin, that worked out
natural selection. Darwin couldn't even manage to
describe it, while his attempt at explaining how it
worked resulted in embarrassing pseudo science:

"Pangenesis."

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/164358779163

Burkhard

Aug 23, 2017, 8:55:05 AM8/23/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
The Incredibly Lucky JTEM wrote:
> Ray Martinez wrote:
>
>> Wallace ended up concluding that an invisible spirit world does indeed exist.
>
> So you're a mental case, huh?
>
> Because it was Wallace, not Darwin, that worked out
> natural selection. Darwin couldn't even manage to
> describe it, while his attempt at explaining how it
> worked resulted in embarrassing pseudo science:
>
> "Pangenesis."

Might look like this to people who have the scientific understanding of
a ten year old, and an understanding of the history of evolution of a
five year old, sure.

Pangenesis wasn't offered as an explanation for natural selection, it
was offered as a hypothesis for the creation of variation on which
natural selection then can work. He correctly identified this as an
as-yet-missing element of this theory, and in the absence of an
explanation that adequately explained all that was available in term so
of observations at the time, made a suggestion of how such a theory
could look like, while knowing full well that is was highly speculative.

But when no other theory lends itself for incremental modification, such
as "bold hypothesis" (in Popper's terminology) is exactly what moves
science along: it results in testable ideas (in this case Francis
Galton's rabbit blood experiments e.g.) , which then lead to a refined
undertanding of the problem, better hypothesis etc etc .

Darwin saw this very clearly, and explicitly justified his method with
reference to the prevailing conception of scientific methodology at the
time:

"I am aware that my view is merely a provisional hypothesis or
speculation; but until a better one be advanced, it will serve to bring
together a multitude of facts which are at present left disconnected by
any efficient cause. As Whewell, the historian of the inductive
sciences, remarks:—”Hypotheses may often be of service to science, when
they involve a certain portion of incompleteness, and even of error.”
Under this point of view I venture to advance the hypothesis of
Pangenesis[..]"

perfectly sound approach. Ironically, seeing that you reply to Ray, some
of the reasons Panspermia did not work out was that it was both too
Aristotelian, and too Newtonian. In particular, it adopted the
Aristotelian idea of mixing fluids during procreation (again in line
with the science at the time), and the determinism of Newton that
required that ever causal account has to be ultimately reducible to a
deterministic and mechanistic explanation (again, pretty much standard
for the time).

So randomness and chance are only shortcomings of our knowledge ad can
be eliminated:

“I have hitherto sometimes spoken as if the variations so common and
multiform in organic beings under domestication, and in a lesser degree
in those in a state of nature had been due to chance. This, of course,
is a wholly incorrect expression, but it serves to acknowledge plainly
our ignorance of the cause of each particular variation”

While a perfectly sound position epsitemologically, from a pragmatic
perspective it meant he could not exploit the (at the time) modern
tools of probability theory to the extend that a proper genetic theory
required.

Ray Martinez

Aug 24, 2017, 4:15:05 PM8/24/17
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
You don't know that Wallace attended hundreds of seances and ended up concluding that an invisible spirit world does indeed exist and that this domain aided selection in the production of the human brain?

If you don't know that then you should not be posting here, it's uncontested historical fact.

Ray