Stephen Hawking died today

Earle Jones

Mar 14, 2018, 1:00:03 AM3/14/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

*

Stephen Hawking died today.

The NY Times led off with this: "He roamed the cosmos from a wheelchair, making discoveries that changed how we see the universe."

Hawking became a symbol of human determination to continue to contribute his massive talent to our meager knowledge of our universe and all that is in it.

“Not since Albert Einstein has a scientist so captured the public imagination and endeared himself to tens of millions of people around the world,” Michio Kaku, a professor of theoretical physics at the City University of New York, said in an interview.

RIP, Stephen Hawking.

earle

*

Paul J Gans

Mar 14, 2018, 11:20:03 AM3/14/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Earle Jones <earle...@comcast.net> wrote:
>[-- text/plain, encoding 8bit, charset: utf-8, 19 lines --]

>*
>Stephen Hawking died today.

>The NY Times led off with this: "He roamed the cosmos from a
>wheelchair, making discoveries that changed how we see the universe."

>Hawking became a symbol of human determination to continue to
>contribute his massive talent to our meager knowledge of our universe
>and all that is in it.

> ???Not since Albert Einstein has a scientist so captured the public
>imagination and endeared himself to tens of millions of people around
>the world,??? Michio Kaku, a professor of theoretical physics at the City
>University of New York, said in an interview.

>RIP, Stephen Hawking.

Seconded.

He was quite the man. I had the honor of meeting him once about 25 or
so years ago. I shall never forget him.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Bob Casanova

Mar 14, 2018, 2:15:03 PM3/14/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:15:00 +0000 (UTC), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Paul J Gans
<gan...@panix.com>:
A model of courage; even with all the health issues from his
ALS he never gave up. I salute him.
--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

jonathan

Mar 14, 2018, 8:55:02 PM3/14/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Hawking was a kook, full of hooey, the
following quote proves it...

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

A few years ago, Hawking was asked what he thought of the
common opinion that the twentieth century was that of biology
and the twenty-first century would be that of physics.

Hawking replied that in his opinion the twenty-first century
would be the "century of complexity".
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/the-curious-wavefunction/stephen-hawkings-advice-for-twenty-first-century-grads-embrace-complexity/

Crazy sucker, must've been his disease talking.

Cubist

Mar 15, 2018, 12:00:03 AM3/15/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

Bob Casanova

Mar 15, 2018, 1:45:03 PM3/15/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 20:53:22 -0400, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by jonathan
<WriteI...@gmail.com>:
Nope. Unlike some wannabes, he actually understood the
concept and its applicability.

But then, unlike those wannabes, he had the intelligence to
do so, and AFAIK he never blustered about how smart he was
in comparison to others, again unlike those wannabes.

Jonathan

Mar 15, 2018, 6:30:03 PM3/15/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
How would you know how to apply these ideas?
You can't even define complexity, or emergence
or criticality or any other entry level aspect
of complexity science, yet feel somehow qualified
to comment.

You have no idea what Hawking's opinions are on
this topic.

> But then, unlike those wannabes, he had the intelligence to
> do so, and AFAIK he never blustered about how smart he was
> in comparison to others, again unlike those wannabes.

--

"To paraphrase the Buddha — Three things cannot be long hidden:
the sun; the moon; and the truth. ‬

~ Former FBI Director James Comey (12-1-17)

Bob Casanova

Mar 16, 2018, 1:35:03 PM3/16/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 18:28:36 -0400, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Jonathan
<WriteI...@gmail.com>:
Actually, I do. But that's essentially irrelevant to my
comments, which compared his intelligence and knowledge to
that of the wannabes.

>> But then, unlike those wannabes, he had the intelligence to
>> do so, and AFAIK he never blustered about how smart he was
>> in comparison to others, again unlike those wannabes.

jillery

Mar 22, 2018, 10:10:03 AM3/22/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Here's another, more measured perspective:

<https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/the-4-scientific-lessons-stephen-hawking-never-learned-aa3128165da3>

<https://tinyurl.com/ybml4etz>

*****************************
His words excited and inspired millions to learn more about the
Universe, and his impact on society has been greater than any science
communicator since Carl Sagan. Yet, there are some simple and
important lessons, in the realms of physics and in that of being a
good human being, that Hawking never learned.

--
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Attributed to Voltaire