owwwwww!

RichD

Oct 26, 2016, 1:00:03 PM10/26/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Why do humans scream in pain?
What function does it perform?

note: the question isn't how, not "what are the
neural pathways connecting larynx to pain centers"
yada yada, the question is: what survival advantage
does this behavior offer?

--
Rich

rsNorman

Oct 26, 2016, 1:20:03 PM10/26/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
RichD <r_dela...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
There is always a strong possibility in discussing evolutionary
adaptive features of human behavior of making up "just so"
stories without any real evidence. Some (much? All?) of
evolutionary psychology might fall into that trap.

Still, pain vocalization is generally considered a signal to other
members of your own species. It can serve to bring assistance,
as for instance a baby crying, or it can serve as a warning
signal to others about the danger from whatever you suffered. It
can also act negatively as a signal that you are somewhat
helpless and defensive. But the cry for assistance notion
generally seems to prevail among the animal behaviorists.
Particularly pitiful cries, for example, seem to elicit a caring
or nurturing response.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

jillery

Oct 26, 2016, 1:30:03 PM10/26/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Your question raises the question; what make you think a survival
advantage is necessary?
--
This space is intentionally not blank.

Kalkidas

Oct 26, 2016, 1:45:02 PM10/26/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Next time you scream in pain, ask yourself why.

Oxyaena

Oct 29, 2016, 2:00:02 PM10/29/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Perhaps an instinctive plea for help, or maybe a warning for people in
the nearby area of danger, or perhaps both?

--
http://oxyaena.org/

Öö Tiib

Oct 30, 2016, 9:00:03 AM10/30/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Why it is narrowed down to people?
Sound is cheap to make and information that someone is in pain is
among most important from survival viewpoint so I thought that most
amniotes scream in pain.

jillery

Oct 30, 2016, 10:40:03 AM10/30/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:57:16 -0700 (PDT), RichD
<r_dela...@yahoo.com> wrote:

When I'm tired and rub my eye for awhile, I "see" flashes of colored
moving lights. These phosphenes are the result of mechanically
ennervating light receptors in the retina. I have also seen similar
"stars" when experiencing acute pain having nothing to do with my
eyes, ex. hitting my thumb with a hammer. What survival advantage is
that?

The point being "screams" could be simply an artifact of nervous
system overload, no survival advantage required.

J. J. Lodder

Oct 31, 2016, 4:20:02 PM10/31/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Someone (Konrad Lorenz?) offered the paradoxal explanation
that alarm cries attract other predators.
A second predator on the scene draws all the attention of the first,
for he probably is competition, a threat, and perhaps a mortal danger.

While the attention is temporarily focussed elsewhere
the prey may get away, with some luck,

Jan

wdm...@verizon.net

Oct 31, 2016, 11:25:02 PM10/31/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 1:20:03 PM UTC-4, rsNorman wrote:
> RichD <r_dela...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
> > Why do humans scream in pain?
> > What function does it perform?
> >
> > note: the question isn't how, not "what are the
> > neural pathways connecting larynx to pain centers"
> > yada yada, the question is: what survival advantage
> > does this behavior offer?
>
> There is always a strong possibility in discussing evolutionary
> adaptive features of human behavior of making up "just so"
> stories without any real evidence. Some (much? All?) of
> evolutionary psychology might fall into that trap.

Despite being an adaptationist, I have to agree that one of the first questions should be is the behavior actually adaptive.

> Still, pain vocalization is generally considered a signal to other
> members of your own species. It can serve to bring assistance,
> as for instance a baby crying, or it can serve as a warning
> signal to others about the danger from whatever you suffered. It
> can also act negatively as a signal that you are somewhat
> helpless and defensive. But the cry for assistance notion
> generally seems to prevail among the animal behaviorists.
> Particularly pitiful cries, for example, seem to elicit a caring
> or nurturing response.

I tend to agree with this answer for the whimpering that tends to accommodate prolonged pain, But I think it may be possible that the initial scream actually reduces the pain by focusing the nervous system on the scream rather than the pain. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the nervous system to know if this is true. But certainly our perceptions are influenced by our current focus.

RichD

Nov 1, 2016, 1:00:03 AM11/1/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On October 30, jillery wrote:
>>Why do humans scream in pain?
>>What function does it perform?
>
>note: the question isn't how, not "what are the
>>neural pathways connecting larynx to pain centers"
>>yada yada, the question is: what survival advantage
>>does this behavior offer?

> The point being "screams" could be simply an artifact of nervous
> system overload, no survival advantage required.

That strikes me more likely than the "Just So" stories, none of
which are testable.

--
Rich

jillery

Nov 1, 2016, 12:25:02 PM11/1/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Don't be upset that you got allegedly "just so" stories in response to
a "just so" question.

Glenn

Nov 1, 2016, 12:45:02 PM11/1/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"jillery" <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:mbgh1ctbkvdq5etu8...@4ax.com...
"Scream in pain" is the part of the question that you deem to be "just-so"?

jillery

Nov 1, 2016, 1:35:02 PM11/1/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Since you asked, no. You're welcome.

Oxyaena

Nov 1, 2016, 1:40:02 PM11/1/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
The question was "Why do humans scream in pain?" The question is a bit
anthropocentric, since other amniotes are known to scream in pain, just
look at a rabbit being torn apart by a fox, or when you step
(accidentally) on a dog's tail and it yelps in pain.

Screaming in pain is definitely an important survival advantage, J.J.
Lodder said below that screaming in pain could attract other predators
to the would-be meal, since the predators are fighting over food rights,
the prey slips away in the confusion, however, it could be also an
instinctive plea for help, such as when lions attack a cape buffalo and
the entire herd comes to its rescue.

--
http://oxyaena.org/

Oxyaena

Nov 1, 2016, 9:30:02 PM11/1/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
You should learn to reduce your lines.

--
http://oxyaena.org/

Mark Isaak

Nov 2, 2016, 12:05:02 AM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 11/1/16 10:38 AM, Oxyaena wrote:
> On 10/30/2016 8:55 AM, Öö Tiib wrote:

>>> Perhaps an instinctive plea for help, or maybe a warning for people in
>>> the nearby area of danger, or perhaps both?
>>
>> Why it is narrowed down to people?
>> Sound is cheap to make and information that someone is in pain is
>> among most important from survival viewpoint so I thought that most
>> amniotes scream in pain.
>>
> The question was "Why do humans scream in pain?" The question is a bit
> anthropocentric, since other amniotes are known to scream in pain, just
> look at a rabbit being torn apart by a fox, or when you step
> (accidentally) on a dog's tail and it yelps in pain.

It also applies to play behavior. I once had a kitten who played with
her claws out. She continued to do so until I started yelling in pain
when she scratched me.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"We are not looking for answers. We are looking to come to an

eridanus

Nov 2, 2016, 5:05:04 AM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
it is a good idea.
eri

RichD

Nov 2, 2016, 2:00:02 PM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On October 26, rsNorman wrote:
>> Why do humans scream in pain?
>> not "what are the
>> neural pathways connecting larynx to pain centers"
>> yada yada, the question is: what survival advantage
>> does this behavior offer?
>
> Still, pain vocalization is generally considered a signal to other
> members of your own species. It can serve to bring assistance,
> as for instance a baby crying, or it can serve as a warning
> signal to others about the danger from whatever you suffered. It
> can also act negatively as a signal that you are somewhat
> helpless and defensive. But the cry for assistance notion
> generally seems to prevail among the animal behaviorists.

This is the answer I expected, and it's amusing.

First, nature is red in tooth and claw. When a lion attacks
a herd of giraffe, the lame will become dinner, he can scream
his head off, the others will scurry... "glad it's him and
not me!" No assistance. It's unwarranted to claim that
Cro-Magnon was a bleeding heart liberal.

The 'baby is hungry' idea works for infants, but a
stretch to claim that it applies to an injured adult.
More crucially, the question is: their medical facility
was... what, exactly? Injured or ill, you recovered on
your own. Or not. What good came from whining? It's
about SURVIVAL ADVANTAGE, guys, remember? So your cousins
cluck in sympathy, how does that boost your genetic perseverence?

Funniest is the rationale that it serves as warning
to others. So one eats a poison mushroom, bellyaches,
then expires. Thus his buddies learn to avoid that
variety of cap. Hence THEY are the beneficiaries, not
the whimperer. He's the fool whose genes are ELIMINATED
from the pool! Indeed, this behavior ought to be selected...
OUT! This 'explanation' turns Darwinism on its head.

None of the facile "Just So" tales pass muster.

--
Rich

RichD

Nov 2, 2016, 2:00:02 PM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On November 1, jillery wrote:

>>> The point being "screams" could be simply an artifact of nervous
>>> system overload, no survival advantage required.
>
>> That strikes me more likely than the "Just So" stories, none of
>> which are testable.
>
> Don't be upset that you got allegedly "just so" stories in response to
> a "just so" question.

Upset?
Do you suffer the handicap of two X chromosomes, perchance?

--
Rich

jillery

Nov 2, 2016, 3:05:03 PM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Apparently you never heard of genetic altruism by kin selection:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection>

And what you dismiss above is exactly the mechanism that explains
warning coloration among poisonous animals:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aposematism>

jillery

Nov 2, 2016, 3:05:03 PM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Apparently you suffer from microcephaly.

Bill Rogers

Nov 2, 2016, 5:40:03 PM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Well, there are facile "just so" refutations of facile "just so" stories. Hard to think of an experiment to do that would give a reliable answer to the question.

Jonathan

Nov 2, 2016, 8:45:02 PM11/2/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 10/26/2016 12:57 PM, RichD wrote:
Here are some recent examples of human beings
crying out in pain from Aleppo, how has the
world 'adapted' to their cries for help?

Mostly by looking the other way and saying
'it's not my problem'.

But in a civilized world the problems of others
should be our own.

I know what I'm going to do.

short video - girl 'interrupted'
https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1/status/793973735426584577

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp6VGEUsAI8cWn.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvpstO4XgAAgyfA.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp6JuyUsAANAPv.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvpsrXVWgAAg8Mm.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5yKcWEAAGwoH.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5rSjWIAAkaKk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp1n-sWAAAj2M4.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvpwp0WXgAAafrG.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3LxUWIAAmAlK.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp6JuyUsAANAPv.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4T0JWEAAFwyh.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp6FDdWEAAFcuz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp6ARlWYAAb5nw.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp592DWcAAE3Rz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp53uXW8AAe9iZ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp50fIWcAAIrEp.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5wBqWYAAv4P3.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvpvWGAVYAAEQj6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5YttXgAAy4Lk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5Uz0W8AAflTi.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5QrUWIAAnaCk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp1GkHXgAArpOK.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5MKaXEAEXtAm.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp5GR0W8AE7ArY.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4_BtWEAEgA2b.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4pEiW8AEAWyS.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4k-1WcAAmPRq.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4gPSWAAAJA3l.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4bkgXYAA1WEP.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4YUbWcAAy8sj.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4PveWIAA78f_.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4JaUWEAIVe5x.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp4B_mWIAA1ug5.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp37OLWEAAWeAK.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp0-_cXEAQUf7L.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp31T4WcAEUBvF.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3rwNWEAAsV7A.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3jPuWEAA1oI9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3e7yW8AAtr0J.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3antWgAAPY6i.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3W3PXEAAbzgL.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3Q_iWYAAIBtT.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp3DGAWAAAn2j7.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp2-aeWgAA360M.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp26ZwXEAA0-GG.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp21huWgAIaKCf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp2qtpWgAE3O1C.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp2lw4WEAAlncj.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp2g_GXEAATF3O.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp1r8KWAAAZ_B0.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp1OB6XgAAddEX.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp0Yq-WAAA2Nal.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp0RYnWAAAYAz1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp0OZqWEAEh6JV.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvpz8PbWgAAFMyv.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvpxPpYXYAAGLbZ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp1Zv8WAAEwjgD.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvp1RJWXgAgqgUD.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvpzo2zVYAA-YOO.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvpw89jWIAANP6u.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvpw4uUW8AEjhAq.jpg

The Russian fleet arrives at Syria Friday
night and has promised to level Aleppo
along with the quarter million civilians
HALF of which are children.

I've collected around 300 such gruesome pics
of Syrian children dead or dying and once Putin
starts his onslaught I'm going to FLOOD
social media with them AS IF they were
fresh casualties. And do my best to create
the impression of a massive crime against
humanity...which it most certainly is...

Flood the major media twitter sites of...

#russia #putin #Aleppo #syria #fsa #cnn
#new york times #msnbc #obama #navy #bbc

....just for starters, those sites alone usually
generate roughly 50,000 views per hour.

Just one picture can change the world, btw....

Image of Drowned Syrian Boy Echoes Around World
http://www.wsj.com/articles/image-of-syrian-boy-washed-up-on-beach-hits-hard-1441282847

Haunting video of bewildered Syrian boy goes viral
Images of five-year-old boy, confused after an
air strike in Aleppo, spark revulsion across
social media.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/haunting-video-bewildered-syrian-boy-viral-160818080939606.html

Russia tells rebels to leave Syria's Aleppo by Friday evening
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-medeast-crisis-syria-russia-idUSKBN12X0OV

With the current speed, the #AdmiralKuznetsov strike group
will arrive near #Syria in 55 hrs [Friday night]
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/793787274836209664