OT: Eternal-September not posting

jillery

May 27, 2016, 6:24:49 PM5/27/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Eternal-September hasn't posted anything from me for almost 24 hours.
Worse, it accepts my posts without any error notification.

There are other E-S users in T.O. who likely have similar problems.
--
This space is intentionally not blank.

rno...@umich.edu

May 27, 2016, 7:39:49 PM5/27/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
That explain a lot. I ordinarily post from eternal-september. This is from google groups.

In retrospect, the urgent need for the masterful responses I have recently posted seems rather less pressing now and I find there is no longer a need to resend them now for the benefit of all humankind. Maybe it would be a good idea if the t.o. robomoderator actually held every message for a few hours and then asked the sender "do you really think it would still be at all useful for me to post this now?"

Dale

May 27, 2016, 11:54:48 PM5/27/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 27 May 2016 16:37:11 -0700 (PDT), rno...@umich.edu wrote:

> Maybe it would be a good idea if the t.o. robomoderator actually held every message for a few

the robo-mod is too slow in my opinion, in a non-mod group you can
carry on a conversation
--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org

jillery

May 28, 2016, 12:29:48 AM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 27 May 2016 16:37:11 -0700 (PDT), rno...@umich.edu wrote:

>On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:24:49 PM UTC-4, jillery wrote:
>> Eternal-September hasn't posted anything from me for almost 24 hours.
>> Worse, it accepts my posts without any error notification.
>>
>> There are other E-S users in T.O. who likely have similar problems.
>

>That explain a lot. I ordinarily post from eternal-september. This is from google groups.
>
>In retrospect, the urgent need for the masterful responses I have recently posted seems rather less pressing now and I find there is no longer a need to resend them now for the benefit of all humankind. Maybe it would be a good idea if the t.o. robomoderator actually held every message for a few hours and then asked the sender "do you really think it would still be at all useful for me to post this now?"

I agree that sounds like something you should consider, but why wait
for somebody to do it for you? You can do it all by yourself.

Rolf

May 28, 2016, 9:29:47 AM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"jillery" <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I don't know why people use september, I have been using albasani for many
years and have never seen any reason for using anything else.

But that's just me.
I don't understand why albasani is available at all, can anyone tell me why
it is?

rno...@umich.edu

May 28, 2016, 10:04:47 AM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 11:54:48 PM UTC-4, Dale wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2016 16:37:11 -0700 (PDT), rno...@umich.edu wrote:
>
> > Maybe it would be a good idea if the t.o. robomoderator actually held every message for a few
>
> the robo-mod is too slow in my opinion, in a non-mod group you can
> carry on a conversation
> --

My point exactly. The conversational mode encourages immediate impulse responses that don't have any thought behind them. Back in the "good old days" of handwritten letters that took a day or more to be delivered you thought about what you really wanted to write and spent more time crafting the response. The early days of usenet, with very slow baud rates, encouraged short and pertinent exchanges.

Things are very different now. Times do changes as do styles and expectations. It is not always clear, though, that it represents "progress".

RonO

May 28, 2016, 12:49:47 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
test

Kalkidas

May 28, 2016, 12:49:47 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
The price we pay for not being overwhelmed with spam and trolls.

RSNorman

May 28, 2016, 12:49:47 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 27 May 2016 18:24:26 -0400, jillery <69jp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Eternal-September hasn't posted anything from me for almost 24 hours.
>Worse, it accepts my posts without any error notification.
>
>There are other E-S users in T.O. who likely have similar problems.

Test from eternal-september

J. J. Lodder

May 28, 2016, 2:29:47 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
jillery <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eternal-September hasn't posted anything from me for almost 24 hours.
> Worse, it accepts my posts without any error notification.

It's back, and it hasn't lost the delayed postings,

Jan

jillery

May 28, 2016, 2:39:47 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 28 May 2016 15:26:47 +0200, "Rolf" <rolf.a...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I tried Albasani at the time you first mentioned it many years ago. My
impression was it had similar problems at a similar rate as
Eternal-September, so there was no great incentive for me to change
anything. I have used Albasani as a backup on those occasional
occasions when E-S hiccups.

This latest glitch was longer and more serious than normal. I am
considering switching the roles of the two servers, to make E-S the
backup.

jillery

May 28, 2016, 2:54:46 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I give you credit for doing your best to contribute to that flood, but
you're just one person and can do only so much. Don't beat yourself
up over your failures.

jillery

May 28, 2016, 2:54:47 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 28 May 2016 10:40:55 -0400, RSNorman <r_s_n...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Apparently there was some kind of bottleneck somewhere, and a flood of
old posts from several posters using E-S suddenly appeared, along with
their duplicates, all using the date and time they were originally
posted, as opposed to the time they actually appeared in T.O.

Glenn

May 28, 2016, 4:59:47 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"jillery" <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:h7pjkbhreb9aua79r...@4ax.com...
Are you seriously considering that?

jillery

May 28, 2016, 7:14:46 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 28 May 2016 13:56:29 -0700, "Glenn" <g...@invalid.invalid>
I wouldn't have said it otherwise. Why do you ask?

Paul J Gans

May 28, 2016, 9:24:45 PM5/28/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I didn't see this. Something must be wrong with eternal-september.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Glenn

May 29, 2016, 7:59:44 AM5/29/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"jillery" <69jp...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ub9kkbd3jvle7v5ri...@4ax.com...
Just another interested fan. Didn't you know?

RonO

May 29, 2016, 8:04:44 AM5/29/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
After I sent in this test the posts posted even ones that were days
late. It must have been like a prayer to the internet gods. Jillery a
prophet for the internet.

jillery

May 29, 2016, 10:29:44 AM5/29/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sun, 29 May 2016 07:01:50 -0500, RonO <roki...@cox.net> wrote:

>On 5/28/2016 9:15 AM, RonO wrote:
>> On 5/27/2016 5:24 PM, jillery wrote:
>>> Eternal-September hasn't posted anything from me for almost 24 hours.
>>> Worse, it accepts my posts without any error notification.
>>>
>>> There are other E-S users in T.O. who likely have similar problems.
>>>
>> test
>>

>After I sent in this test the posts posted even ones that were days
>late. It must have been like a prayer to the internet gods. Jillery a
>prophet for the internet.

And like all prophecies, the above was expected to happen sooner or
later. It was merely a question of when. In fact, the bottleneck
remained for several hours after I posted this notice.

Given E-S's lack of error notification, and the dates of the posts
once they finally appeared, I suspect the bottleneck was not of their
making, but was created downstream, during or after their email
transfer to Darwin. Either way, the event illustrates the Usenet
gods' mysterious ways.