Richard Harter Day

David Iain Greig

Jun 29, 2015, 8:56:34 AM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

Again, 29 June 2015 is Richard Harter Rememberance Day.

Gone too soon.

--D.

--
david iain greig gr...@ediacara.org
moderator, talk.origins sp4 kox

Paul J Gans

Jun 29, 2015, 11:56:34 AM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
David Iain Greig <dgr...@darwin.ediacara.org> wrote:

>Again, 29 June 2015 is Richard Harter Rememberance Day.

>Gone too soon.

Absolutely true.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Earle Jones27

Jun 29, 2015, 1:21:33 PM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 2015-06-29 12:56:56 +0000, David Iain Greig said:

> Again, 29 June 2015 is Richard Harter Rememberance Day.
>
> Gone too soon.
>
> --D.

*
Amen! Way too soon...

earle
*

Bob Casanova

Jun 29, 2015, 2:26:33 PM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:56:56 +0000 (UTC), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by David Iain Greig
<dgr...@darwin.ediacara.org>:

>Again, 29 June 2015 is Richard Harter Rememberance Day.
>
>Gone too soon.

As you say. He is, and will continue to be, missed.
--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Mitchell Coffey

Jun 29, 2015, 3:26:34 PM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 6/29/2015 8:56 AM, David Iain Greig wrote:
> Again, 29 June 2015 is Richard Harter Rememberance Day.
>
> Gone too soon.
>
> --D.

A fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy...

Mitchell Coffey

chris thompson

Jun 29, 2015, 4:06:33 PM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Truer words never spoken.

For the interested, his web page is still up:

http://richardhartersworld.com/

Chris

Paul J Gans

Jun 29, 2015, 8:11:33 PM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
And he was funny too!...

Roger Shrubber

Jun 29, 2015, 8:36:33 PM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
A polymath of sesquipedalian talent and ponderous intellect
who eschewed verbosity with sagacious aplomb.

and he was funny too
http://richardhartersworld.com/cri/1996/gorrette.html

*Hemidactylus*

Jun 29, 2015, 10:16:33 PM6/29/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
A master punfiend unmatched in this century or the last.

Chris Thompson

Jun 30, 2015, 12:01:32 AM6/30/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Wilkins once accused me of channeling Harter vis. puns. I felt honored.

Chris

Paul J Gans

Jul 1, 2015, 7:26:26 PM7/1/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Yeah, both of them were funny.

Roger Shrubber

Jul 1, 2015, 9:56:26 PM7/1/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I read it long ago. I reread it near after Richard died.
I reread it yesterday and laughed. I read it again and
laughed again today. Perhaps I'm a cheap date. Then again, despite
the absurdity of the Slave Girls of Gor, there's this part
of my reptilian brain that's firmly in touch with my 13
year old self that had quite a fascination for those slave girls.
Even if I was much older when I read it, I read it as a
13 year old boy. To Richard's credit, I laugh at his works as a
17 year old and appreciate that return to youth as well.
It's a talent like having an internal tuning fork. I wish I had it.

Bob Casanova

Jul 2, 2015, 2:16:24 PM7/2/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 21:53:50 -0400, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Roger Shrubber
<rog.sh...@gmail.com>:
I'd never seen it, which was a Good Thing (TM) since I got
to read it for the first time; always the best. And I concur
completely.

Thanks for the reference!

Paul J Gans

Jul 2, 2015, 7:21:24 PM7/2/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Several of us here have had the pleasure of meeting Harter in
person. He was as fascinating "in the flesh" as he was in-line,
and I miss him continually.

Which reminds me. Another old timer, Walter Bushell, seems to have
vanished? Anyone know anything about that? His absence fuels my
fears.

Bob Casanova

Jul 3, 2015, 2:06:20 PM7/3/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:18:55 +0000 (UTC), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Paul J Gans
<gan...@panix.com>:
I recall (or seem to; at my age it's questionable) seeing
his posts here within the past few weeks. Maybe he's taking
a sanity break?

James Beck

Jul 3, 2015, 3:56:21 PM7/3/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:05:45 -0700, Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off>
wrote:
As far as I can tell, he last posted here May 5th.

czeba...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2015, 6:56:21 PM7/3/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Too many Nashtons, not enough Harters.

gregwrld

jillery

Jul 4, 2015, 8:56:18 AM7/4/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 15:55:44 -0700 (PDT), czeba...@gmail.com wrote:

>Too many Nashtons, not enough Harters.

Such is the nature of this Universe. It may be some small comfort to
think it otherwise in some other dimension.
--
This space is intentionally not blank.

Bob Casanova

Jul 4, 2015, 12:41:17 PM7/4/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:51:48 -0600, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by James Beck
<jdbec...@yahoo.com>:
Could be; I didn't do any research on it, but relied on my
memory, such as it is.

But I'd classify 8 weeks as "a few weeks". ;-)

Bob Casanova

Jul 4, 2015, 12:41:17 PM7/4/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 15:55:44 -0700 (PDT), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by czeba...@gmail.com:

>Too many Nashtons, not enough Harters.

With "too many" defined as "any number >0".

Paul J Gans

Jul 4, 2015, 6:26:16 PM7/4/15
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I hope so!