Film Club starts back 12 Sep

Rachel Findlay

Aug 16, 2016, 7:20:49 AM8/16/16
to RBC Film Club
Hi everyone!

I hope you've all had a great break over the summer.

Film club will be back on Mon 12 Sep, for a 12 week block (pay for 10, get the final 2 free).

See below for the programme that John has sent through (subject to any last minute changes).

The printed programme won't be ready for a wee while, but you should be able to book from next week (23 Aug onwards).

Look forward to seeing you all soon - and do let me know if you fancy introducing any of these.

Thanks
Rachel

Begin forwarded message:

Mon 12 Sept
Maggie’s Plan (15)
Rebecca Miller | USA | 2016 | 99m | 15

‘Maggie’s Plan’ is a US comedy drama about a woman (Greta Gerwig) falls in love with a married man (Ethan Hawke), then devises a strategy to reunite him with his former wife (Julianne Moore) three years later.
“A perfectly cast comedy of manners that couches complex emotional questions in joyous farce and continues Gerwig’s reign as the undisputed Queen Of Quirk”, Empire Magazine.

Mon 19 Sept
Embrace Of The Serpent (12A)
Ciro Guerra | Colombia/Venezuela/Argentina | 2015 | 122m | 12A | Subtitles

This compelling Oscar® nominated film is set in the Amazonian jungle and tells the story of shaman, the last survivor of his tribe, and his relationship with two European scientists who, forty years apart, come in search of a sacred healing plant.
“This stunning art-movie plays like 'Apocalypse Now' in a dugout canoe…leading to a finale of cosmic, mind-expanding beauty”, Time Out.

Contains moderate violence, injury detail, threat.

Mon 26 Sept
The Commune (15)
Thomas Vinterberg | Denmark | 2015 | 112m | 15 | Subtitles

A story about the clash between personal desires versus solidarity and tolerance in a Danish commune in the 70s. The film is directed by Thomas Vinterberg (following up his popular English-language box-office hit ‘Far from the Madding Crowd’) and is a warm-hearted period piece partly inspired by the director's own childhood growing up in a hippie commune in 1970s Copenhagen.

Mon 3 Oct
Sweet Bean (12A)
Naomi Kawase | Japan | 2015 | 115m | PG | Subtitles

Sentaro (Masatoshi Nagase) runs a small dorayaki shop, where he cooks the pancake-based snack for a small group of schoolgirls who frequent the establishment. His business takes off when he hires an eccentric 76-year-old woman (Kirin Kiki) who specializes in making the sweet bean filling for the pancakes.
“The movie, beautifully shot and acted, earns its ultimate sense of hope by confronting real heartbreak head-on, and with compassion”, The New York Times.

Mon 10 Oct
Café Society (12A)
Woody Allen | USA | 2016 | 96m | 12A

The latest from writer/director Woody Allen, ‘Café Society’ is a romantic comedy drama set in the 1930s. A young Bronx native moves to Hollywood where he falls in love with the secretary of his powerful uncle, an agent to the stars. After returning to New York he is swept up in the vibrant world of high society nightclub life.
“’Café Society’ fizzes like vintage Woody Allen”, The Telegraph.

Mon 17 Oct
Childhood Of A Leader (12A)
Brady Corbet | UK | 2016 | 116m | 12A

A child's angelic face conceals a budding sociopath in the audacious, senses-shattering feature debut from actor Brady Corbet. Set amidst the turmoil of World War I and its aftermath, it follows the young son of an American diplomat living in France as he learns to manipulate the adults around him-a monstrous coming of age that ominously parallels the rising tide of Fascism in Europe. Features a thunderous score by legendary, boundary-pushing musician Scott Walker.
“Brady Corbet's disturbing psycho-historical melodrama is like the Stanley Kubrick edit of The Grand Budapest Hotel”, Popmatters

Contains infrequent moderate sexual activity.

Mon 24 Oct
The Clan (Cert tbc)
Pablo Trapero | Argentina/Spain | 2015 | 110m | Cert tbc | Subtitles

The true story of the Puccio Clan, a family who kidnapped and killed people in the 80s. In a wealthy suburb of Buenos Aires the patriarch Arquímedes heads and plans the operations. His eldest son Alejandro is the star rugby player at a prestigious local club and identifies possible candidates for kidnapping. The family live off the benefits yielded by the large ransoms paid by the families of their victims. Trapero’s thrilling film is full of suspense and intrigue taking place in the final years of the Argentine military dictatorship and incipient return to democracy in the early 80s.

Mon 31 Oct
The Shining (15)
Stanley Kubrick | USA/UK | 1980 | 144m | 15

Classic Re-Release

A Halloween special as we bring you Stanley Kubrick’s masterful horror ‘The Shining’ in all its full remastered glory. A gory and glorious take on Stephen King’s haunted hotel novel sees aspiring writer Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) taking a job as a caretaker in the remote and isolated Overlook Hotel, hoping to cure his writer’s block.
He settles in with his wife, Wendy, and son, Danny, who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Danny's visions become more disturbing, Jack soon discovers the hotel's dark secrets….
This is the extended US version never before released in UK cinemas.

Kubrick special deal - buy tickets for both ‘The Shining and ‘Barry Lyndon’ (screening on Thu 29 Sept) for only £10 (full)/£8 (concession). Tickets must be bought at the same time.

Mon 7 Nov
Things To Come (12A)
Mia Hansen-Løve | France/Germany | 2016 | 102m |12A | Subtitles

‘Things To Come’ is a French drama about a middle-aged philosophy teacher who struggles on with her life following several unexpected changes of fortune. Following the death of her mother, getting fired from her job, and dealing with a husband who is leaving her for another woman Nathalie (Isabelle Huppert) looks to reinvent her life.
★★★★★ “This is among the very best films ever made about the lives of intellectuals. Another great performance by Huppert”, Evening Standard.

Contains infrequent strong language, drug misuse.

Mon 14 Nov
Swiss Army Man (Cert tbc)
Dan Kwan, Daniel Scheinert | US | 2016 | 97m | Cert tbc

Hank (Paul Dano) is stranded on a deserted island, having given up all hope of ever making it home again. As Hank prepares to commit suicide he suddenly spots a man (Daniel Radcliffe) lying by the shore. Unfortunately, he is dead – and also very gassy - but using the flatulent body to his advantage, Hank miraculously makes it back to the mainland. However, he now finds himself lost in the wilderness, and dragging the talking corpse named Manny along for the adventure.
“Weird and wonderful, disgusting and demented, Swiss Army Man is about how one man’s dead body nudges another man back to life”, New York Times.

Mon 21 Nov
Under The Shadow (Cert tbc)
Babak Anvari | UK/Iran/Jordan | 2015 | 84m | Cert tbc | Subtitles

As a mother and daughter struggle to cope with the terrors of the post-revolution, war torn Tehran of the 80s, a mysterious evil begins to haunt their home.
“Under its scares, ‘Under the Shadow’ serves as an impassioned allegory for female oppression - but Anvari doesn't shortchange horror fans”, The Guardian.

Mon 28 Nov
I, Daniel Blake (Cert tbc)
Ken Loach | UK | 2016 | 100m | Cert tbc

Ken Loach won the 2016 Palme D’Or prize for the second time for ‘I, Daniel Blake’.
Daniel is a middle-aged widower in the North East who can’t work or get benefits after a near-fatal heart attack. He befriends a single mother and her two children and together they attempt to navigate their way through the Kafkaesque bureaucracy of the current day benefits system.
“One of Loach’s finest films, a drama of tender devastation that tells its story with an unblinking simplicity”, Variety.

Julie McMorran

Aug 16, 2016, 12:27:28 PM8/16/16
to talk-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rachel

Helllloooo

What a great list.

If it's okay with everyone I would like to do Sweet Bean and The Clan.

I can probably do more and will let you know once I have checked my timetable at work.

Very excited...

Julie

Aug 18, 2016, 7:16:04 AM8/18/16
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rachel,
Thanks for looking after Film Club for another
season.Looks to be a very interesting programme.

We will not be here in September and not yet sure of our movements
thereafter but should be able to make it for the 3rd October.

Look forward to seeing you all then.

Regards,
Jan & George

Rachel Findlay

Aug 24, 2016, 7:03:17 AM8/24/16
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
Hello again!

Final programme has been confirmed (just one change, on 17 Oct) and bookings are now open!

• Mon 12 Sept - Maggie’s Plan - Rebecca Miller | USA | 2016 | 99m | 15
• Mon 19 Sept - Embrace Of The Serpent - Ciro Guerra | Colombia/Venezuela/Argentina | 2015 | 122m | 12A | Subtitles
• Mon 26 Sept - The Commune - Thomas Vinterberg | Denmark | 2015 | 112m | 15 | Subtitles
• Mon 3 Oct - Sweet Bean - Naomi Kawase | Japan | 2015 | 115m | PG | Subtitles
• Mon 10 Oct - Café Society - Woody Allen | USA | 2016 | 96m | 12A
• Mon 17 Oct - Adult Life Skills - Rachel Tunnard | UK | 2016 | 96m | 15
• Mon 24 Oct - The Clan - Pablo Trapero | Argentina/Spain | 2015 | 110m | Cert tbc | Subtitles
• Mon 31 Oct - The Shining - Stanley Kubrick | USA/UK | 1980 | 144m | 15
• Mon 7 Nov - Things To Come - Mia Hansen-Løve | France/Germany | 2016 | 102m |12A | Subtitles
• Mon 14 Nov - Swiss Army Man - Dan Kwan, Daniel Scheinert | US | 2016 | 97m | Cert tbc
• Mon 21 Nov - Under The Shadow - Babak Anvari | UK/Iran/Jordan | 2015 | 84m | Cert tbc | Subtitles
• Mon 28 Nov - I, Daniel Blake - Ken Loach | UK | 2016 | 100m | Cert tbc

Thanks to Julie for volunteering for Sweet Bean and The Clan. Any other takers, please give me a shout!

See you all in Sep (and Jan and George in Oct!)

Thanks
Rachel

Tony Barbour

Aug 26, 2016, 2:25:11 AM8/26/16
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rachel, I'll do The Commune if you like. In the unlikely event that I go
abroad early I will write an introduction for you to use if you wish.

Rachel Findlay

Aug 26, 2016, 2:43:32 AM8/26/16
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
That's great Tony - many thanks!