multi language versions of introduction of hackerspace (and web site...)

Kai Carver

Jun 13, 2016, 12:32:20 AM6/13/16
to Taipei Hackerspace Group
[discussion moved to hackerspace list from keyholder mailing list]

Hi 權峰

Good idea to add more languages to the introduction of the hackerspace (see 權峰's message below).

This sounds a bit like translating the hackerspace web site. Just translating the front page would be nice. Currently it looks good...:

...but it's all in English! Not very welcoming for Mandarin (or Japanese) speakers.

Long ago, I made a quick proposed attempt that looked like this:

(I wanted to just put the Chinese badly and let someone correct it, because my Chinese is bad). But it was considered too confusing/ugly to have both languages on the same page.

So... maybe we can just use a different front page for each language. Keep it simple!

So... If someone wants to do it, just go ahead! It doesn't need to be perfect.

The code for the current code of the front page is here:

You can fork taipeihackerspace/webtemp and make any changes you like. If you're feeling bold and have the rights, just submit the changes and they will appear live aat http://taipeihack.org , or ask someone on this list to update it for you.

I would be glad to help.

PS: I realize people most bothered by the English-only web site may not read this Engilish-only message... (No time for me to translate it right now) Sigh. Communication is difficult :D

Jun 13, 2016, 11:33:55 AM6/13/16
to Taipei Hackerspace
Hi, Kai

Thank you for transfer the discussion to here. Because I am not familiar with the operation of google groups.

I found another problem yesterday. The "Hackerspace Taipei" has two different pages in facebook.

1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/tpehack/

2. https://www.facebook.com/TaipeiHackerspace/

I was confused when I tried to find out the introduction edited by 石恩.

And I also found that the places we can put introduction on are different in the pages.

If we want to do some maintenance on the pages, we should be careful. And other people may also feel confused.

Thanks,
張權峰

Kai Carver於 2016年6月13日星期一 UTC+8下午12時32分20秒寫道:

Gergely Imreh

Jun 13, 2016, 12:21:49 PM6/13/16
to Taipei Hackerspace Group

Hi,

Those are not two different pages, but one Facebook page and another Facebook group. They are different. A FB page is like a website, controlled by the organization. A FB group is like a mailing list, not (really) controlled by anyone. Just to explain a bit.

Thanks,
   Greg