how to record a presentation?

Kai Carver

May 27, 2016, 4:22:32 AM5/27/16
to Taipei Hackerspace Group
Hi hackers,

We have a presentation tomorrow at 5 pm at the hackerspace on the LASS open air quality monitoring system, by Wuulong Hsu.

I would like to broadcast and record the presentation. I thought I had a good solution using my Windows laptop and the http://zoom.us/ system, as recommended by Wuulong.

That solution works great in a quiet room with someone talking straight at the laptop. But in a big room like the hackerspace, the sound is terrible.

So my question: anyone have a solution for this?
Could you recommend a microphone or other device that would solve this?
Could you lend us such a microphone or device for use tomorrow?

I know Chris Wu was able to successfully broadcast the last Drupal meetup at the hackerspace, so maybe the solution is just to use a Mac? I don't have one...

Any help on short notice would be much appreciated.

PS: this was what happened in a recent try:

ok the video recording was a total fail! The sound is horrible and useless.
My guesses as to why it failed, in order of likelihood:
- laptop microphone not good enough for voices in several places
- hackerspace is very echoey?
- air conditioning background noise?
Maybe try to find a better microphone (omnidirectional, conference mike, boundary effect...), see for example this old thread:

Robert Sim

Jun 12, 2016, 10:47:20 AM6/12/16
to Taipei Hackerspace
Lurker from HackerspaceSG here. We have a setup here that uses a lapel mic or an omni-directional mic (depending on which set is used). The setup is done by one of our members who runs https://engineers.sg, an initiative to record meetups and tech events for the community.

Kai Carver

Jun 13, 2016, 12:06:37 AM6/13/16
to Robert Sim, Taipei Hackerspace Group
That sounds interesting, thank you!

I'd be interested in a few more details about the setup. Can you connect me with your member who did the setup?

k a i