Workshops / hacking on IOT during July weekends

Rodolfo Cossovich

Jul 5, 2016, 9:35:13 AM7/5/16
to Taipei Hackerspace
Hi there !

I visited the space like a month ago. I had quite a good time and I was asking where can I run activities for kids or beginners. I normally teach at NYU in Shanghai and I would say that it's my passion to bring knowledge from one spot to the other.

I ended up signing with some district in Taipei and I will be running a summer camp two weeks in a row, so I think I will be too busy to organize something as big as that by myself. But in any case, I will still be in town. Some of the things that I know have been popular and don't require any physical materials from my side are.

- young kids, ages 7 to 10, graphical programming
- juniors, ages 10 and up, JavaScript programming

I guess that my only request is to know if you have the reach to create such a group. A format that I particularly like is to having three sessions back to back, so anybody can join either at any session or the three of them. I wouldn't mind either donating the benefits to the hackerspace or something likewise.

Other thing that I can host is a workshop for advanced adults, like IOT with the ESP8266 chip, programmed from Arduino IDE. But you should be able to get a nodeMCU for each participant and I am not familiar with the electronics landscape over there.

Let me know, I will stay from tomorrow till 23rd.

Best,
Rudi

Kai Carver

Jul 6, 2016, 12:25:25 AM7/6/16
to Taipei Hackerspace Group
Hi Rodolfo,

Welcome back to Taipei!

Thank you for your kind offer and I'll ask around if any kids or people with kids are interested in this kind of workshop. I'm not sure we have the desired reach in this area, but let's see... Maybe Mr Friday or Carol Yao will have some ideas?

Your idea for three sessions back to back, how long would they be? Also would it be doable in Chinese? Maybe you can post your suggestion to the list separately in Chinese. (I know I respond a lot more easily to messages in English, and my eyes kind of glaze over Chinese messages haha, so I guess it's the same in reverse for Chinese speakers...)

As for the ESP8266/nodeMCU idea, I personally would love to help organize an event on nodeMCU at the hackerspace. Will look into how easy it is to get nodeMCU devices here in Taiwan on short notice (anybody know?).

PS: Just out of curiosity, what district will the summer camp you are organizing be in?

PPS: We are planning a small party at the space Saturday July 16th afternoon/evening, you are welcome to join!

PPPS: Maybe watch out for the typhoon, scheduled to hit Taiwan soon.

Rodolfo Cossovich

Jul 6, 2016, 3:52:41 AM7/6/16
to taipeiha...@googlegroups.com
OK ! I read your message and I thought, why not ordering in a rush. I just got 20 nodeMCUs. Some protoboards and color leds as well. At least materials are not an obstacle.

Which weekend is it good for us to organize something in-house?

Best,
Rudi

Rodolfo Cossovich

Jul 7, 2016, 10:01:56 PM7/7/16
to Taipei Hackerspace
I will be teaching at Minquan Junior High School. Hope everything runs smoothly, it's the first time I teach in Taipei. 32 kids among two weeks, 10 arduino boards ... let's see what happens!

I am sending you an email with possible content for the workshop. Thanks for the help setting it up. I will post on the chinese thread about the kids activities to see if I have more luck.

I might join you on the 16th. Should I bring anything?

Rudi

Gergely Imreh

Jul 8, 2016, 1:40:26 AM7/8/16
to Taipei Hackerspace Group
Hi Rodolfo,

Been looking at the calendar with Ki, for example July 17th Sunday should be a good day for such an event?

Quite often people bring their own audience, in the sense of we can provide the space, and the organizer knows who are the targets to the workshop and gets them in.
In the case of someone just wanting to do a workshop in the space without doing any promotion/advertisement/telling people about themselves, we usually try to reach out to the community around the Hackerspace. Then the results are quite hit and miss, what ages, what skills, what kind of people show up. But the more info you can give for people to decide (especially on such short notice, the better).
If this is good, we can set up an event on Facebook / send out to the mailing list, and other contacts we have.

I'm quite interested too, though definitely not a kid. :P

For the hackerspace get-together on the 16th if you'd like you can bring some snacks or drinks, but not required.

Cheers,
   Greg

Rodolfo Cossovich

Jul 8, 2016, 3:03:16 AM7/8/16
to taipeiha...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, Greg! Let's do it on Sunday 17 then. Let me know if you need either more details or pics.

I should be working on a NodeMCU related project, so I will go to the space one of these days. Most likely when it's not raining so much!

Best,
Rudi
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Taipei Hackerspace" group.