variable [DATA] doesn't exist for (some) DELETE requests

Daniel Lancelot

Sep 15, 2017, 1:14:58 PM9/15/17
to Taffy Users
Hi,

I'm in the process of integration testing of a TAFFY API which has been migrated from ACF 9.0.1 on IIS 7.5 on Window 2008 R2, to Lucee 5.2.4.35-RC on IIS (10) on Windows 2016.

API has been in production against the previous  environment and has been working well for quite some time (6 months since last major update, several years before).

I've complete internal testing of all API methods, resolving any issues I saw (places I was depending on ACF specific implementation detail) and all tests have complete successfully.

I'm now running tests in conjunction with another supplier, and am running into a strange issue when they are attempting to send a DELETE request to the API.

The delete request is failing within line 12 of taffy.core.baseDeserializer with the error variable [DATA] doesn't exist

This seems to me as if the call to deserializeJSON(arguments.body) on the line above must be returning a null value.

Bearing in mind this is being called (indirectly) from https://github.com/atuttle/Taffy/blob/master/core/api.cfc#L694

...I'm struggling to see how this code could be reached if the body was empty... and what the body content could be to result in deserializeJSON(arguments.body) returning null when isJson(arguments.body) must have returned true on the preceding lines...

I've asked the supplier to provide an exact replay of their HTTP request (seeing as this is erroring before I get a chance to log the request content) - but I am stumped as to what could be going on here.

Can anyone advise what may be happening here?

Thanks,

Dan.

Daniel Lancelot

Sep 15, 2017, 2:06:08 PM9/15/17
to Taffy Users
Ok,

Finally managed to reproduce this issue.

If the http body is:

null

Then the error variable [DATA] doesn't exist is thrown as above.

<cfif len(requestObj.body) AND requestObj.body != "null">

I'll test and submit a pull request if that works.

Cheers,

Dan.

Daniel Lancelot

Sep 15, 2017, 2:08:05 PM9/15/17