Open Source Systems Modeling Tool ..

joseph simpson

Feb 21, 2015, 9:45:56 PM2/21/15
to Kevin Dye, Sys Sci, structura...@googlegroups.com, mjs...@eskimo.com, mjs...@gmail.com, Jack Ring, Steven Krane
Topcased and PolarSys are deploying a standards compliant, open source, SysML modeling tool. See:

Kevin Dye is interested in using ISM methods as a front end to SysML and other modeling formalisms.

Has anyone had experience with Topcased or PolarSys?

They look like great candidates.

Take care and have fun,

Joe

--
Joe Simpson

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.

Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.

All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

George Bernard Shaw

Vorachet Jaroensawas

Feb 21, 2015, 10:38:21 PM2/21/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com, Vorachet Jaroensawas, Kevin Dye, structura...@googlegroups.com, mjs...@eskimo.com, mjs...@gmail.com, Jack Ring, Steven Krane
Dear Joe , James

I am a new member since INCOSE IW2015.  James Martine gives me an opportunity to be a part of the group as a student. I am very young on this field but some student tasks could be served by my contribution.

Typical tasks such reviewing specific features of an open source tool or documenting some manual for using that tool, which can be used for saving people time to install and to understand.  SysSciWG , please feel free to look me as your student as drop me a homework that useful for people in the group. I spend a big time to be a OMG certified SysML Model Builder Level in 2014 as well as C/C++ programing on Linux.

Topcased is one of my study area. Please feel free to let me know the detail of the task. I am interested to do and to inform the result  back to group.

Best regards,
Vorachet

--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

joseph simpson

Feb 21, 2015, 11:35:09 PM2/21/15
to Sys Sci, Vorachet Jaroensawas, Kevin Dye, structura...@googlegroups.com, mjs...@eskimo.com, mjs...@gmail.com, Jack Ring, Steven Krane
Vorachet:

Thanks for your interest in this group and your offer to help.

We are early in the concept and requirements development phases of the structural modeling project.

Structural modeling can be viewed as an activity that proceeds the design of a solution system.

Structural modeling focuses on the identification of the problem system structure.

Kevin Dye has extensive experience in the application of structural modeling.

Kevin believes, and I tend to agree with him, that structural modeling graphical artifacts should be represented using standards based, open source graphical notations.

I noticed that Topcased and PolarSys appear to be open source and support SysML and UML.

Further, I noticed that these tools are under active development with support from a large number of major industrial corporations.

The current tasks are focused in the area of PolarSys (I think I will just refer to them both as PolarSys) application programming interface (API) architecture and functional analysis.

Some of the specific questions to be answered are:

What type of graphical API's are available from PolarSys?

What programming languages are supported by the APIs.

Is there a standard set of methods for use in interaction with the PolarSys API?

If PolarSys has an open graphics API, then we are interested in:

-- Representing a sequence of actions

-- Representing a static hierarchy

-- Representing a network graph.

-- Representing network event routing on the graph.

These are some of the very basic things we would need to represent in a graphical form.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments and/or concerns.

Have fun,

Joe

Hillary Sillitto

Feb 22, 2015, 5:24:32 AM2/22/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com

The Polarsys Capella open source modelling tool is derived from a Thales tool called Melody which has been intensively developed and used over a number of years in high integrity real time heterogeneous system development. The method for using it is compatible with the 'six step architecting process' described in my book. One thing that Capella may lack - at any rate I don't think Melody had the capability - is a good tool for n-squared charts and ISM! So there could be a good match with your work there.

I don't know about the other Polarsys tools. The aim of Polarsys seems to be to enable long term support for tools that have been developed to fill a gap in the market but whose developers are not in the tool vending and support business.

Cheers

Hillary

joseph simpson

Feb 22, 2015, 12:16:51 PM2/22/15
to Sys Sci
Hillary:

Thanks for the information and context.

Using the additional information I searched for Capella and PolarSys.

The list of PolarSys solutions is interesting, see:

The Capella data sheet  indicates a method-driven domain specific language along with other features. See: http://polarsys.org/sites/default/files/custom_uploads/Capella%20Datasheet%20US%20letter%201.4.pdf

Also, it looks like the open source product development and release is just started early this year.

The Papyrus model-based engineering tool is also available through the PolarSys project.

The Papyrus data sheet indicates a domain specific language development capability.  It appears that Papyrus may be the best place to start as it is listed as "the glue for integrating these editors."  See:

In any case, PolarSys seems to be an excellent system and organization to explore and evaluate for our structural modeling purposes.

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe