SMP Video Conference Proposed Team Papers Action item

joseph simpson

Sep 7, 2016, 5:03:20 PM9/7/16
to gmo...@u.washington.edu, Aleksandar Malečić, Andrew Borota, Gabriel AWAD, George Mobus, Jack Ring, Janet Singer, Janet Singer, Joe Simpson, Kevin Dye, Kevin Dye, Lenard Troncale, Mary Keeler (mkeeler@u.washington.edu), Michael Singer, mjs...@eskimo.com, mjs...@gmail.com, Narayana Mandaleeka, Peter D Tuddenham, Richard Martin, SpaceKatt PoiSpin, Steve Krane, Steven Engle, Sys Sci, Yiannis Laouris, Yiannis Laouris
Team:
Please see the attached document as my first cut at paper topics.  The SMP video conference read ahead material, from the last year, contains subject matter for a number of papers.

In the last meeting Kevin pointed out a significant issue.  This issue is the very low quality of many published papers in the area of ISM and DSM.  The papers report the outcome, but do not provide details of the process, software and procedures that were used to create the reported outcome.

We hope to break this trend by publishing papers that have open source code and detailed process information.  Using this approach other interested researchers should be able to reproduce or outcomes. Or, if not publish the negative results to help improve the approach.  The papers will be accompanied by software applications like SAGE Workbooks,  Jupyter Notebooks and/or Javascript based web applications.

I believe Kevin will be providing further input next week.

It looks like the Google Hangouts interface will be available for everyone to use in the coming months.  The system home is just moving to YouTube Live.  I have completed a first simple test and the system seems to work the same as the old one.  More on this in the coming weeks...

Take care and have fun,

Joe

--
Joe Simpson

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.

Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.

All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

George Bernard Shaw
StructuralModelingCandidateTeamProjects_07sep2016.pdf