Fellows Project to define system

1 view

Jack Ring

Nov 8, 2016, 8:23:57 PM11/8/16
to Sys Sci
Dov,
I suggest that there are profound differences between a) human actions that cause a system whether expressed in a mutual language or in materials, b) human actions that claim a system exists in nature and c) the actions sans human involvement that cause a system in nature.
Jack Ring

Hillary Sillitto

Nov 9, 2016, 5:23:18 AM11/9/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Jack,

Thanks for this. I haven't seen the precursor conversation with Dov, but am working with him closely on this; and yes, the important distinctions you refer to are very well aligned to our current thinking. The patterns are clearly identifiable in various strands of existing systems literature, which we are drawing on to ensure well grounded conclusions and recommendations. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to have been clearly drawn together in a well integrated and easily accessible overview across these different perspectives since Bertalanffy's days.

We should have something to discuss with the Fellows in time for IW, and are working against tight deadlines to get a draft paper together in time for the IS2017 deadline.

Best

Hillary

--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

Hillary Sillitto

Nov 9, 2016, 5:24:13 AM11/9/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

And of course the equally important point is, what are the similarities?

Jack Ring

Nov 9, 2016, 8:42:25 AM11/9/16
to Sys Sci
Thanks. The precursor was Dov’s remark in you July material on Dropbox.