Theory of Effectiveness Measurement, Bullock

Steven Krane

May 8, 2017, 4:47:28 PM5/8/17
to syss...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to share this link with you all. It seems right up our alley. I’m not sure how to make use of it in the context of the SSWG charter. I realized awhile ago that whenever we formulate a plan to do something, that plan needs to explicitly state the effects that are intended, and a system of measurement to discern whether that is happening or not. This paper is useful in regards to the latter.

http://www.turma-aguia.com/davi/bullock_effectiveness_measure.pdf

Jack Ring

May 8, 2017, 5:48:48 PM5/8/17
to Sys Sci
Great find. I have contacted him for any later work.
Jack
> On May 8, 2017, at 09:53, Steven Krane <sk5...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just wanted to share this link with you all. It seems right up our alley. I’m not sure how to make use of it in the context of the SSWG charter. I realized awhile ago that whenever we formulate a plan to do something, that plan needs to explicitly state the effects that are intended, and a system of measurement to discern whether that is happening or not. This paper is useful in regards to the latter.
>
> http://www.turma-aguia.com/davi/bullock_effectiveness_measure.pdf
>
> --
> The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.
>
> Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
> ---

Aleksandar Malečić

May 9, 2017, 4:16:33 AM5/9/17
to syss...@googlegroups.com
There should be a parallel process taking place out there in the "real" world in which people would be willing to hear and do something about such measurements. As someone whose significant part of the life story and personality was shaped by war(s), I see peaceful behaviour at the very top of a life worth living. On the other hand, it's difficult to tell the difference between those who are doing nothing and those who are consciously being peaceful. The "dark" medieval ages were pretty much the times when the majority were minding their own business without making too much noise about their existence. Systems literacy mentioned a few times in this and similar groups should be somehow combined with psychological literacy so that people would consciously choose (if there is any choice left within established systems) among other members of our (still chimpanzee-looking) species whom to fight, whom to groom, and why.

Aleksandar

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Jack Ring <jri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great find. I have contacted him for any later work.
Jack
> On May 8, 2017, at 09:53, Steven Krane <sk5...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just wanted to share this link with you all.  It seems right up our alley.  I’m not sure how to make use of it in the context of the SSWG charter.  I realized awhile ago that whenever we formulate a plan to do something, that plan needs to explicitly state the effects that are intended, and a system of measurement to discern whether that is happening or not.  This paper is useful in regards to the latter.
>
> http://www.turma-aguia.com/davi/bullock_effectiveness_measure.pdf
>
> --
> The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.
>
> Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
> ---

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/syssciwg.

The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

joseph simpson

May 9, 2017, 11:33:09 AM5/9/17
to Sys Sci Discussion List

joseph simpson

May 9, 2017, 11:40:07 AM5/9/17
to Sys Sci Discussion List
Steven:

Interesting area of research.

David Croply's work from 1997, "Information and Semiotics in Measurement," is another great reference in this area of study.

See the links below:

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe