Fwd: [announce] Anticipation

Jack Ring

Jan 22, 2015, 12:54:22 PM1/22/15
to Sys Sci

Didn’t Thomas Bayes and Col. Boyd already deal with this?
Does this certify Al Gore?
Seriously, this looks like a very useful dialog, particularly regarding the anticipatory horizon.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Announcement list for the International Society for the Systems Sciences <anno...@lists.isss.org>
Subject: [announce] Anticipation
Date: January 22, 2015 at 6:51:33 AM MST

The conference call is attached (pdf and docx).  Andyou may have a look at the conference webpage (http://www.projectanticipation.org/ under Anticipation 2015).

joseph simpson

Jan 22, 2015, 2:23:20 PM1/22/15
to Sys Sci
Jack:

You wrote:

"Didn’t Thomas Bayes and Col. Boyd already deal with this?
Does this certify Al Gore?
Seriously, this looks like a very useful dialog, particularly regarding the anticipatory horizon."

Didn’t Thomas Bayes and Col. Boyd already deal with this? --- What is this?

Does this certify Al Gore? --- For what?

Seriously, this looks like a very useful dialog, particularly regarding the anticipatory horizon. --- Why?

An architecture analysis appears to be missing.

Take care and have fun,

Joe

--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

Joe Simpson

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.

Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.

All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

George Bernard Shaw

Jack Ring

Jan 22, 2015, 3:06:54 PM1/22/15
to Sys Sci
What is this? Anticipatory Systems

Does this certify Al Gore? --- For what? Global Warming, ooops, Man-caused Climate Change.

useful dialog, particularly regarding the anticipatory horizon. --- Why? Because we are supposed to devise systems that will deal with situations that have not happened yet, therefore must be able to examine stimuli and anticipate the better system configuration for responding then morphing to that configuration, then confirming that, in fact, the desired response is occuring else morph better.

An architecture analysis appears to be missing. What means “architedture analysis” and why should it be present?

joseph simpson

Jan 22, 2015, 10:45:09 PM1/22/15
to Sys Sci
Jack:

The purpose is stated as:

"The main purpose of the UNESCO Chair in Anticipatory Systems is to centralize the study of anticipation and to define the Discipline of Anticipation as a cohesive body of knowledge"

"Centralize the study of anticipation"   ... Anticipation is a function.  With no specific architecture.

Might be better presented as "Anticipatory concepts."

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe

Jack Ring

Jan 23, 2015, 9:10:26 AM1/23/15
to Sys Sci
Once you declare anticipation to be a function then you invoke all sorts of other concerns.
Perhaps anticipation is a concept or a capability that can manifest in many diverse forms?

Mike Dee

Jan 23, 2015, 11:33:16 AM1/23/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com

FWIW:

To quote somebody…  Language is a wonderful way to miscommunicate.   Are we  talking about ANTICIPATION or ANTICIPATE?  (Picking up on Jack’s comment).

ANTICIPATE:   Sounds like a function (it is a verb, implying action).   Has inputs and outputs, and might lead to any number of possible functional and hence physical implementations in a realized design.

ANTICIPATION:   Sounds like a capability, defining some level of ability to anticipate, against which we might formally design the ANTICIPATE function when we define the logical architecture (assuming we are talking about a design problem).

I would defer to my text (well covered in layers of dust) on Linear Control Theory to add to the discussion.   OBSERVERS obtain data that can be used within PREDICTORS that serve the ANTICIPATE (look ahead) function.  Somewhat like the “I” in the “PID”, but more sophisticated, generally.

Enjoy