Format for publishing system science studies that can be reproduced.

joseph simpson

Mar 27, 2016, 4:18:41 PM3/27/16
to Sys Sci, Kevin Dye, J Singer, Jack Ring, Yiannis Laouris, constantina spanoude, mjs...@gmail.com, mjs...@eskimo.com, Lenard Troncale
As I think about publishing the results from one or more system studies, I am wondering about what information is necessary to reproduce the published results.

This area of concern is based on 10 to 15 years of reading and trying to reproduce material published in the INCOSE Journal and other hard copy print journals.  One significant area is the lack of published data sets or the availability of data sets in executable form.

As the structural modeling software starts to mature, I hope to publish results that allow other interested researchers the opportunity to replicate the results with the minimum amount of effort.

In my opinion, many days have been wasted analyzing published graphs and charts to discover that there are fundamental errors in the graphs or the accompanying text.  My goal is to provide open source software, open source data sets as well as detailed instructions covering the methods used in producing the results.

Any further aspects that should be taken into consideration as we plan for the production of scientific studies that are designed to be easy to replicate?

What should be provided besides text, graphics and equations?

What form and format should the text, graphics and equations express to facilitate the process of replication?

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe

--
Joe Simpson

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.

Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.

All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

George Bernard Shaw

David Ing

Mar 28, 2016, 8:50:40 AM3/28/16
to Sys Sci Discussion List, systems.r...@gmail.com, janetm...@gmail.com, jri...@gmail.com, lao...@cnti.org.cy, const...@futureworldscenter.org, mjs...@gmail.com, mjs...@eskimo.com, lrtro...@cpp.edu
You might be interested in "Publishing Better Science through Better Data" | November 14, 2014 | Nature Publishing Group at http://www.nature.com/sdata/collections/scidata14 , and in 2015 at http://www.nature.com/openresearch/publishing-better-science-through-better-data-2015 .

The publication of open research data has generally been a more popular idea in the biological sciences, where funding often comes from government sources, and presumably in the larger public interest.

joseph simpson

Mar 28, 2016, 8:41:24 PM3/28/16
to Sys Sci
David:

Thanks for the pointers to this information.....

Open source, digital data files are necessary to reduce the amount of work in hand transcribing information from hard copy printed material.  Digital data files also reduce the chance of errors in copying the data from hard copy printed materials.....

After I spent a great deal of time trying to find examples of research problems that are focused on matrix representations of systems, I decided to create my own set of "standard matrix" files for use in these types of situations.  These standard files are available on the Internet at:

As the current software systems mature, the plan is to place them on open source repositories like Bitbucket and Github.  The current code base needs to be cleaned up and a robust set of software tests need to be provided, before they are ready for these open source repositories.  However, I will send or make available the current code to anyone who asks for a copy... with the understanding that the code base is still rough..

Kevin Dye is interested in the development of a standard test bed for Interpretive Structural Modeling applications, so that may be another area that is ripe for open data and open source code.

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe

--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

joseph simpson

Mar 28, 2016, 8:54:29 PM3/28/16
to Yiannis Laouris, Sys Sci, Kevin Dye, mjs...@eskimo.com, mjs...@gmail.com, Jack Ring, Lenard Troncale, Thomas Kercheval, Janet Singer
Yiannis:

Great news.. very cool..

Our current work will be presented this Saturday, April 2nd at our monthly Structural Modeling Project video conference.

We can discuss areas you would like to explore as well as common goals and objectives... on Saturday...

My existing plan is to clean up the current code base, add the required test components and have the package available on the open source repositories around the first of May.

Then, the existing plan is to work on the database back end and other administrative data management issues that were detailed by Kevin Dye when we started this project...  when the back end code is combined with the client (front end) code we will have a first cut at a complete open source structural modeling web application..

We should also think about publication venues and other interested parties.  I know Kevin was  interested in publishing material about the foundational matrix operations associated with structural modeling..

Anyway, it is exciting to have the opportunity to expand the team of people collaborating in this area..

What specific areas would you like to address first?

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 6:40 AM, Yiannis Laouris <lao...@cnti.org.cy> wrote:
Hi Joseph

I would be interested to collaborate in designing open source software that performs different types of ISM implementations like the ones we have already begun and shared with you, as well as sharing real data and developing joint publications.

Yiannis

Yiannis Laouris MD, PhD (Neurophysiology), MS (systems Engineering)
Senior Scientist
Cyprus  Neuroscience & Technology Institute
Future Worlds Center