GE's view of system immunity

Jack Ring

Sep 12, 2017, 1:32:54 PM9/12/17
to Jack Ring
Please take minute to view http://www.ge.com/reports/these-scientists-hacked-the-immune-system-to-fight-cyberattacks/
Sorry for the interruption and possible duplication of addressees but I expect you will find it to be very worthwhile reading.

Note, however, that it addresses only the body’s ability to neutralize external pathogens. It does not address the body’s ability to detect and neutralize internal aberrations, both latent ones and emerging ones.

For example, in mechanical systems we now know how to schedule preventive maintenance by sensing and classifying vibrations.

Likewise in digital systems we now know how to detect the presence of software ‘bugs' (logic, arithmetic or semantic faults or inconsistencies system-wide) before they inhibit intended operation or enable encroachment by 'cyber-hackers’ or by inappropriate administrative and maintenance actions by 'cyber-slackers.'

We all should strive to become very aware of how to make our man-made software systems leverage this aspect of the human body’s immune system.

Or should we?

Jack Ring

Ferris, Tim

Sep 13, 2017, 2:51:23 AM9/13/17
to syss...@googlegroups.com

For example, in mechanical systems we now know how to schedule preventive maintenance by sensing and classifying vibrations.

I take up this one line.

The philosophy behind this is that the vibrations etc are the first signs of imminent failure, before something really breaks and has a collection of other consequent effects.

This was a major cost saving step forward from age/usage based part replacement as the preventive maintenance regime.

In a sense it is restorative maintenance because it is maintenance work done following detection of the’ first sign’ of wearout.

This is beneficial because repair is done before additional damage is done, and the time of the repair activity can be managed better, rather than pushing on until an actual failure stops operation – mid-mission. Also improves the brand image because events of failure of which spectators/public-at-large become aware are much less frequent.

Because it is based on detecting something failing I would call this a restorative maintenance action.

Dr Tim Ferris

--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

Ginny Lentz

Sep 13, 2017, 12:24:51 PM9/13/17
to Sys Sci Discussion List
If they should continue this activity they should also study the auto-immune disorders - to possibly preclude disruption and also to provide progress is the human auto immune area.

Jack Ring

Sep 13, 2017, 3:30:19 PM9/13/17
to Sys Sci
Yea verily Tim,
GE Research Lab in the 1960’s did this on computer disk drives thereby avoiding a lot of data loss.
Management Sciences, Albuquerque, NM has developed a classification system for various vibration profiles that is used in many places, e.g., EMBEDDED COGNITIVE BAYESIAN PROGNOSTIC HEALTH MANAGEMENT FOR RPA PROPULSION SYSTEMS.

Now it is time to examine a) software code for logic, arithmetic and semantic faults and b) execution behavior for aberrations.
Jack

Jack Ring

Sep 19, 2017, 5:15:26 AM9/19/17
to Sys Sci
Good points. However, regarding 'restorative maintenance action' there may be an interesting difference between replacing a part that has failed vs. preemptively removing a part that has not yet failed but is no longer consistent with its associated parts. c.f., Goldratt’s System Integrity idea.