Re: [SysSciWG] Digest for syssciwg@googlegroups.com - 13 updates in 2 topics

1 view

Paola Di Maio

Mar 5, 2016, 7:04:46 AM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Glad to see some topics of interest on the list (an not only rants LOL)

Wanted to add a few comments

Do I read this right that people are still discussing the
boundary/definition for Systems, vs SOS? Cant believe that people
have been discussing the same thing for decades.

I have a very clearcut definition, that works (but happy to hear
objections if any)

A system is capable of delivering a system function ALONE (by itself)
that is what makes it a system. if it cannot, it is not a system, but
a subsystem. So, for me a liver is not a system, because it does not
work by itself, if you put a liver on a table, it does not do
anything.

when it comes to a wheel, well, one could argue that the function of
the wheel is to spin, therefore a wheel, properly mounted on a hub, is
a system whose function is to turn.

if we consider a wheel system, then a bicycle could be considered an
SOS, whereby the SOS functionality cannot be deliverd by one or even
two wheels alone, without the other components

RE. WORLDVIEWS, well, essentially a worldview is a statement that only
pertains to human sphere, that is what an individual or collective of
individuals perspective, what they can see. This is pertinent to
engineered systems because it is individuals shape their systems
solely based on their worldview, which is continually shifting

When it comes to natural systems (not engineered), the worldview
matters because it defines what people (general users and/or
engineers) can see. which impacts their ability to
use/manipulate/build upon natural systems. any engineered system
interfaces and is deployed within a natural system (laws of physics
and all) therefore it is important that we understand , I think the
role of the worldview. As we continue to learn, the worldview also
changes. if it doesnt. we cannot progress our understanding of the
world.

Just wanted to say these things

Greets to all,

PDM

On 3/5/16, syss...@googlegroups.com <syss...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Humans communicate and find meaning based on context.
>
> In the systems world, one of the most difficult things to do is find people
> who share common context.
>
> I have had many instances where individuals and groups have rejected or
> misunderstood my communications based largely on miscommunication and lack
> of context.
>
> Just keep on going...
>
> Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,
>
> Joe
>

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Aleksandar Malečić <ljma...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> --
> Joe Simpson
> “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people
> attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends
> on unreasonable people.”
> George Bernard Shaw

> Topic: Systems Worldviews and SOS
>
> ---------- 1 of 9 ----------
> From: Mike Dee <mdee...@gmail.com>
> Date: Mar 04 07:47AM -0500
>
> All: if a system is closed, is it observable? (Nothing crosses its
> boundary) If not observable, can it be identified as a system? Does this
> relate to SoS? So how could a system (defined as such by an observer) not
> be part of another system, and how can it not have peers (i.e. SOS)?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> ---------- 2 of 9 ----------
> From: MDSE <michael....@gmail.com>
> Date: Mar 04 08:59AM -0500
>
> Continued: so is the term SoS really needed other than to designate a
> situation wherein you are trying to create a solution to a problem by
> incorporating input from editing systems? Seems as if SoS terminology is
> not really necessary, particularly in science
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> ---------- 3 of 9 ----------
> From: "Richard Martin" <rich...@tinwisle.com>
> Date: Mar 04 09:24AM -0500
>
> Jack,
>

> Parsimony with respect to what? Consider the notion of system as a mental
> construct created to bound one or more observations. Examination of the
> elements, and the elements of those elements, etc., of such a system reach a
> limit of relevance with respect to bounded observations – digging deeper
> yields no new information regarding the bounded observations. Parsimony is
> the effect of the stop rule at that limit.
>

> Of course while examining with respect to the original observations other
> observations of interest may arise but parsimony limits pursuit regarding
> those new observations if they are considered irrelevant to the original
> observations. However, using parsimony to avoid observations that are
> actually relevant is dangerous
>

> So if observations are with respect to every possible detail about a natural
> system, i.e Len’s worldview of a natural system is in play, then indeed the
> SoS characteristic leads deeper and deeper in examination since each new
> observation as relevant to the original.

Mike Dee

Mar 5, 2016, 7:31:36 AM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Paula:

I would add this to the (well worn) discussion of SoS...

As commonly used, the term SoS seems to be an engineering term related the CREATION of new functions by adding something new and incorporating functions from existing implementations or nature. So, the new SoS provides the new functions, but DOES NOT include the other functions of the pre-existing "systems" that comprised the SoS.

So, our definition of a "system" (its boundary) is defined by the I/O that we (as observers) ascribe to it.

A SoS may utilize existing implementations that continue to provide functions unrelated to the desired functions of the "new" SoS.

I understand the desire to use the term SoS, but that term does not seem to add any new distinction. The only caveat to this is that when we design a SoS, one requirement might be that we have NO deleterious effect on the other systems when our SoS is implemented. In the SoS world we are making subsystems of things that pre-exist our design. But how is that diffderent from re-use or leveraging?

Still I see no purpose in the designation SoS.

Lenard Troncale

Mar 5, 2016, 12:02:34 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick point Paola.

The context of the system is as important as the system. Putting a liver on the table is certainly divorcing it from it's natural context. Of course, it cannot function as a system then. Saying a car that has not had its ignition turned on (or a vacuum cleaner for that matter) is not a systems because it is not functioning at the moment, are also problematic metaphors. Take ANY system out of the context it was evolved or designed to exist in will lead to non-systemness or dysfunction.

Such metaphors only point up the requirements of a definition. They actually may cause more confusion than they seem to resolve. Just sayin'

Len
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to syssciwg+u...@googlegroups.com.

Curt McNamara

Mar 5, 2016, 12:29:13 PM3/5/16
to Sys Sci
Speaking as a systems engineer ...

As I understand it, the term System of Systems is most useful when considering a situation which contains:
-- humans
-- human activity systems (organizations)
-- human designed systems

For example, a battle field with pilots, airplanes, air traffic control, airplane control systems, civilians, ...

The intent (as I understand it) is to remind system designers and engineers that their work will exist and be used in a complex environment. This has been a useful construct.

There are other concepts of great use to a practicing engineer or designer (for example boundary), that have also been challenged by systems scientists. There is a lesson here ... perhaps more than one?

                   Curt

Jack Ring

Mar 5, 2016, 1:34:23 PM3/5/16
to Sys Sci
Curt,
Thanks for this distinction. For > 50 years many persons practicing SE have called these sociotechnical systems while others have always presumed that humans were constituents in the first place. The adjective is sufficient. The parsimony prize doesn’t need a "system of belly buttons” category any more than we need a 'system of chemical reactions' category.
Jack

Jack Ring

Mar 5, 2016, 1:37:43 PM3/5/16
to Sys Sci
Len,
Except that most ‘definitions’ of system treat system in the present tense, i.e., doing something. Calling something a system because of what it IS rather than also or better yet, instead of what it DOES is the classic Descartes Myopia.
Onward,

Mike Dee

Mar 5, 2016, 2:52:51 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Thinking in terms of Wymore, SoS is just a system wherein the implementation of certain functionalities (I apologize for using that word) is constrained by use of particular other implementations (Wymore:  Technology Constraints).    Therefore the only thing that differentiates a SoS from any other system is the degree to which the trade space is restricted only to the new elements of the system, and away from existing stuff that is mandated to perform such implementations.   No function design space is available, no implementation design space is available.

Most people just call that leveraging.

MD

Curt McNamara

Mar 5, 2016, 3:21:29 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
WRT Jack and Mike:
SoS, socio-technical, and leveraging could be seen as tags from a complex adaptive systems perspective.

    Curt

James Martin

Mar 5, 2016, 3:48:50 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Curt,

What do you mean by "tags"? And how are such tags useful in understanding or dealing with systems?

James

Sent from my iPad

Steven Krane

Mar 5, 2016, 3:58:53 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Regarding:
A system is capable of delivering a system function ALONE (by itself)
that is what makes it a system. if it cannot, it is not a system, but
a subsystem. So, for me a liver is not a system, because it does not
work by itself, if you put a liver on a table, it does not do
anything.

If you put the WHOLE animal on a table on the moon it also does not do anything.  That's not its gig.

Curt McNamara

Mar 5, 2016, 4:57:20 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
A tag is like short hand - a way to represent an idea or set of attributes. They often develop in a particular area of work / research, or in a human activity system.

It is one of John Holland's fundamental elements in a complex adaptive system.

    Curt

Jack Ring

Mar 5, 2016, 5:48:11 PM3/5/16
to Sys Sci
Curt,
Yes to tags.
Now then, are there prudent rules for tagging, e.g., mutually exclusive if specifying an intended system or highly redundant if describing an existing system or structure?
Jack

Lenard Troncale

Mar 5, 2016, 6:21:38 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Oh Jack. And some of us define what a systems is as what a system does. When it's active. What its potential is. All of these things. Look up entitation of Gerard defined a two generations ago in the early GST movement. It is you who make a distinction between is and does (structure and function) that are suffering from Descartes Myopia IMHO.
Len

Lenard Troncale

Mar 5, 2016, 6:25:37 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Please note that Mike Dee and others are presenting definitions and distinctions active in the engineering field. There are many many dozens of fields concerned with systems. So please SE's everywhere remind yourselves (as we all must) that your definitions may work for a limited domain, but that there are some who are trying to forge definitions that work across many domains. Perhaps we should have a disclaimer with every msg identifying which domain we are speaking in and for. Then we might be able to agree more or at least learn from our disagreement about the many different types of systems.

Notice also that I am not speaking for or against Wymore or Dee, just trying to promote better or more compassionate communication between domains.

Len

Jack Ring

Mar 5, 2016, 6:43:51 PM3/5/16
to Sys Sci
Len,
Good for you and your “some of us.”
How does that community compare to the INCOSE definition, the SEBoK and the various WG charters, the IFSR Praxis?
Is the interaction of INCOSE and ISSS accomplishing its intended purpose?
Jack

Curt McNamara

Mar 5, 2016, 7:57:01 PM3/5/16
to Sys Sci
Jack, that book/article will be very useful, for my students (and many others).

Is there a list of the "Jack Ring challenges" to the systems community somewhere?

                Curt

Jack Ring

Mar 5, 2016, 9:50:54 PM3/5/16
to Sys Sci
Curt,
I am confused. To what book/article are you referring?

My list of challenges is >1500 pages but which contain only about 1.5 pages of really salient stuff. Problem is I can’ t decide which 0.1% are the right pages. I intend to get it down to 30 pages this year, but am behind schedule already.

Doing an INCOSE webinar re: transforming SE to System Management on June 16, 2016 which may help shed light and shed some chaff. (Yes, shed has two interpretations.)

FWIW, my focus is on discovering how N persons can serve stakeholders by creating a problem suppression system that stakeholders can operate, particularly when 2<N>250 (www.starkermann.com).

My metric is Fit For Purpose which attributes are Quality, OpAvail and User Trusted.

My maximization scheme is a seven-tuple wherein the the problem suppression system (System D)  enables the stakeholders (System C) to make their clients/customers/dependents (System B) more Fit for (their client’s (System A)) Purpose. The problem suppression system creation system (System E)  fits the problem suppression system challenge, the system management system (System F) ensures the system creation system is Fit For Purpose and the human synergy system (System G) evolves the right system management citizens just-in-time, perpetually.

My theory says a) this seven-tuple operates as an implicit differential system of the third order (the equivalent of conservation of mass, momentum and energy), and b) there are four basic tags (such as Derek Cabrera’s D, S, R, and P), c) an ontology of functions and features tags of probably less than 2500 terms, d) a BIG purpose, i.e., Do No Harm, for which we have near-zero theory, and e) a blind spot in design wherein we arrange interoperation among the components but not mutual tension, the dynamic stability factor.

Then there is the pathology wherein humans with too much hubris declare that just because they can make up a story about ant colonies and get others to agree that ants really have such purpose. A recent finding about how ants act when subjected to a flood is a quite different scenario from a colony.

Further, there is Prof. Bruce Lipton’s Biology of Belief in which what we think influences or DNA.

Any help filtering chaff will be greatly appreciated.
Jack

Lenard Troncale

Mar 5, 2016, 9:54:30 PM3/5/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

Very good questions. I am not sure that the MOU actually explicitly lists a set of purposes beyond the overall purpose of cross-communication for fecundity. That's a rather general and low lying hurdle.

The various projects of the SSWG specifically and rather successfully try to focus in on doable products coming out of that communication. INCOSE especially is big on delivering products (and should be praised for it). While there is general agreement in INCOSE that a better systems knowledge base is needed, I do not see deep penetration on what that KB should be or explicit lists of criteria describing it. As a result, one might have to say that the "penetration" of systems synthesis into the general membership is going very slowly, if at all. I don't see sufficient penetration of rigorous systems science into SEBoK much. Some surface stuff but not anything really useful to what the members do each day. Most of the traditional SE textbooks educating new SE's are embarrassing in their coverage of systems.

Perhaps now with the greater recognition of SSWG communicating more with the NSWG, the CxSWG, SoSWG, and maybe even others on Agile etc in the near past and futures, there may be a gradual evolution of awareness.

One case in point. (When one of my current Systems Engineering graduate students made me aware of the software and then systems engineering adoption and popularity of the buzzword agile as an umbrella for a new set of techniques for both of those strong engineering domains, I found the basis of the original manifesto was exactly FIVE systems processes of the SPT. They explained virtually all of the advances promised by agile. This shows the utility of the SPT if it was widened in awareness. If only FIVE can cause the new advances of agile praxis, think of what more and others might do, whatever label you applied to it). Conscious, aware application of how systems work and don't work could cause a jump start for the future. But SE is currently ignoring it mostly and some even more; they have specifically stated to me that they are resisting it.

I might say that my insistence on a huge difference in systems science and systems thinking or systems philosophy has mostly gone unheeded. (My papers proposed on this distinction were actually rejected by the local Chapter and by IS reviewers while people like a couple of past Pres. say it should be published??) I have met members who insist systems thinking is the only thing they will consider. This is not pioneering; this is regression IMHO. And the several systems education forum's (fora) I have attended have actually been highly resistant to the suggestion there is anything beyond systems thinking and current practices in MBSE with current tools, limited as they are.

I have not attended IFSR lately but I think they are going off the deep end lately (more words; less insight) in what I have seen lately. The conversations (which I was present at in their beginnings) are getting larger, but more diffuse with mostly very very shallow thinking being produced.

I think the Complex Systems Movement in physics and various other societies are a better match for systems science for INCOSE than ISSS or IFSR. Odd. The ISSS and IFSR and INCOSE share a preoccupation with the human, not the natural, and that is good as function-sharing and communication, but they all three suffer from too much distance from real science IMHO.

Certainly INCOSE has provided an important needed stimulus and just a bit more rigor to ISSS and IFSR. So I think the benefit has mostly gone to those old societies and federations. I would like to see more real benefits come back to INCOSE. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it /or/ I should better say IMHO.

Len

Mike Dee

Mar 6, 2016, 6:39:37 PM3/6/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Len:

If you are attempting to come up with a generalized theory (say SoS, etc) then it has to be valid across fields, eh?  In Wymore, there is no distinction between whether a “Technology Constraint” represents a set of hardware, software, function, nut,  bolt, human role, or human individual.  A “Technology Constraint” is merely a restriction on what the system implementation may consist of.    If I design a human based “SoS”, and define that a role exists in the that will become part of the SoS, then we have a function based Constraint.   If you are more specific and say something like “Fred will do [something]” then the Technology  Constraint is on the implementation itself.

Either way, SoS places constraints on what you may build your system from (forgive the English), whether people, rabbits, or GPS satellites.   Still, I see no purpose for the SoS distinction, and maintain that Wymore’s definitions cover everything you are chatting about.   A system is a system, or am I wrong?

Mike Dee

Mar 6, 2016, 6:45:40 PM3/6/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Steve:

Can you draw a boundary around a liver, and define the I/O relationship?  If so, then it is a system, no?

Probably best to dump the designation Sub and Super when defining a system.  The important thing is context and I/O.  After all, the observer gets to define the system boundary by identifying he I/O.

MD

Mar 6, 2016, 6:55:15 PM3/6/16
to Sys Sci
It is likely that two or more people in respective fields of endeavor (viewpoints) will use a) different labels for the same entity  and b) the same label for different entities. I think Hillary Silletto has noted this and Warfield often cited Peirce in this regard.
Accordingly, system science serves us best when it clarifies the key entities  of systemness (or systemity) then the relation between each entity and the respective labels (tags?) used in each field of discourse as formulated by the respective cabals.

Jack Ring

Mar 6, 2016, 7:06:53 PM3/6/16
to Sys Sci
Dee,
Defining the I/O doth not a system make.
Actual I/O enables you to call a configuration a system.
When the behavior ends then system returns to configuration.
Behavior will happen only when the entities/components/constituents have a sufficient degree of coherence.
Kind of like the middle school orchestra, sometimes you hear music, otherwise simply noise.
Jack

Mike Dee

Mar 6, 2016, 7:31:49 PM3/6/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Should have been more specific.

The system boundary is defined by the I/O.

Jack Ring

Mar 6, 2016, 7:44:37 PM3/6/16
to Sys Sci
the system boundary is defined by the I/O that occurs.

Mike Dee

Mar 6, 2016, 9:37:31 PM3/6/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Jack:  Interesting caveat.  The limit of the model is that it might not be possible to include all forms of l/O (do we care about the interaction of input random gamma radiation on the output?).   From the standpoint of an engineering model, the I/O is limited to the context we define.  That does not mean we have included everything.