Fwd: SERC Talks / April 5: Can Graphical Models Provide a Sufficient Basis for General Intelligence? Paul Rosenbloom, USC

James Martin

Mar 9, 2017, 7:44:42 AM3/9/17
to SSWG
fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Systems Engineering Research Center <SE...@sercuarc.org>
Date: Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 1:16 PM
Subject: SERC Talks / April 5: Can Graphical Models Provide a Sufficient Basis for General Intelligence? Paul Rosenbloom, USC
To: mart...@gmail.com

SERC Talks is an open forum discussion series featuring researchers from our community sharing their insights on various questions relevant to Systems Engineering (SE) and its evolution.  Dr. Barry Boehm is our Editor-in-Chief of the series, curating the talks. We encourage your input and insights during these lively discussions as we strive to create an ongoing and more collaborative dialogue between academia, government and industry sectors of the SE community.
Can Graphical Models Provide a Sufficient Basis for General Intelligence?
Paul RosenbloomUSC Institute for Creative Technologies
ABSTRACT:cognitive architecture is a hypothesis about the fixed structures comprising a mind, whether natural or artificial. It is analogous to a computer architecture in providing a general level of programmability, but concerns creating an inherently cognitive – or intelligent – system rather than simply a computational system.  A complete cognitive architecture must support in real time the integration of memory and reasoning, decision making and planning, adaptation and learning, and interaction with both physical and social worlds.  Even when less than complete, such systems can provide value as the minds of virtual humans, intelligent agents and robots; and as nascent unified theories of human cognition.  Sigma is an attempt to build such an architecture from the ground up based on graphical models, a highly efficient, theoretically elegant, and broadly applicable technology for computing with complex multivariate expressions.  The goal is to leverage this breadth in blen ding symbolic high-level cognition with quantitative low-level processing; this theoretical elegance in constructing the diversity of requisite intelligent functionality from interactions among a small very general set of primitives; and this efficiency to build systems capable of practical application.  In this talk I will provide background on Sigma, how it works, and how far we have come towards a complete cognitive architecture.
BIO: Paul S. Rosenbloom is Professor of Computer Science at the University of Southern California and Director for Cognitive Architecture Research at USC’s Institute for Creative Technologies.  He was a key member of USC’s Information Sciences Institute for two decades, leading new directions activities over the second decade, and finishing his time there as Deputy Director.  Earlier he was on the faculty at Carnegie Mellon University (where he had also received his MS and PhD in computer science) and Stanford University (where he had also received his BS in mathematical sciences, with distinction).  His research concentrates on cognitive architectures – models of the fixed structure underlying minds, whether natural or artificial – and on understanding the nature, structure and stature of computing as a scientific domain.  He is: a Fellow of both the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) and the Cognitive Science Society; a co-developer of Soar, one of the longest standing and most well developed cognitive architectures, during much of its early evolution; the primary developer of Sigma, which blends insights from earlier architectures such as Soar with ideas from graphical models; and the author of On Computing: The Fourth Great Scientific Domain (MIT Press, 2012).
SERC Collaborators:
EVENT DETAILS

DATE: April 5
TIME: 1:00 PM (ET)
REGISTER
UPCOMING TALKS
June 7, 2017:
What Are Cyber-Social Learning Systems And How Will We Form Them?
Kevin Sullivan, University of Virginia
Systems Engineering Research Center - Located at Stevens Institute of Technology
1 Castle Point on Hudson, Hoboken NJ 07030
Share this email:
Manage your preferences | Opt out using TrueRemove
View this email online.
1 CASTLE POINT ON THE HUDSON
HOBOKEN, NJ | 07030 US
This email was sent to mart...@gmail.com.
To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.

--
James