Fwd: [announce] Gender and Evaluation Community of Practice: Systems Thinking Sub-Group - Prioritizing gender, marginalized voices and ecologies

1 view

James Martin

Apr 4, 2016, 1:55:43 PM4/4/16
to SSWG
fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Announcement list for the International Society for the Systems Sciences <anno...@lists.isss.org>
Date: Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 9:13 AM
Subject: [announce] Gender and Evaluation Community of Practice: Systems Thinking Sub-Group - Prioritizing gender, marginalized voices and ecologies
To: "an...@ethosofengagement.com" <an...@ethosofengagement.com>, Ellen Lewis <ellenl...@yahoo.com>

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Since March 1st this year, Ellen Lewis (University of Hull) and I (thanks to an Endeavour Fellowship and The Cairns Institute) have been working with UN Women's Independent Office of Evaluation to develop a gender-sensitive evaluation guidance for the development sector. It pulls together methodology from systems thinking, feminism and ecology to produce a guidance that encourages practitioners to consider context, power, emergence and participation in a process of continuous evaluation. To support this work, my colleague Ellen and I are producing a regular blog post (https://ethosofengagementcom.wordpress.com/) and community of practice online discussion forum which we invite you warmly to join.

The new sub-group focuses on the emerging practice of using systems thinking to support evaluation practice in development contexts. The goals for this CoP are to:

  • Support discussions, ideas, hopes and concerns about how systems thinking can contribute to the field of evaluation.
  • Build an understanding on how to conduct a ‘systemic boundary critique’ as an ongoing reflective process in all phases of an evaluation.
  • Recognize and share demonstrations of use of prioritizing gender equality, marginalized voices and the environment in evaluation practices.
  • And to ask: Are there other goals this CoP would be interested in achieving?

This project will be of particular interest to evaluators, systems scientists, action researchers, and gender and development practitioners, theorists and students. Please sign up and share this email with your networks that might be interested in following the discussion and development of the Guidance. Information on how to join is listed below.

How to join the Gender and Evaluation Community of Practice: Systems Thinking Group:

If you are not a member of gender and evaluation community, please sign up on http://gendereval.ning.com/

Then sign in and click on the link http://gendereval.ning.com/group/developing-a-gendered-systemic-evaluation-guidance. Here on top right hand side click on +Join

Cheers,

Anne