Systems Sciences and Systems Engineering

James Martin

Jan 12, 2017, 6:26:49 AM1/12/17
to SSWG, David Ing
Some of you might be interested in this webinar from Nov 2010 by David Ing (former president of ISSS). Here is an overview of the webinar contents as well as a concept map of his key ideas.
You can watch the webinar directly by clicking on this link:

James

The Systems Sciences and Systems Engineering

How are (or can or should) the systems sciences and systems engineering (be) related?  For the web conference for the INCOSE (International Council on Systems Engineering) Complex Systems Working Group on November 22, 2010, I decided to present a personal perspective on linkages.  The ideas were essentially in two parts, with

  • the systems movement as a system of ideas, including …
    • the systems science community as some individuals, some organizations and some publications; and
    • ten frames to guide thinking and discussion about changes in society, economics and technology in the 21st century (based on Ing (2011)); and
  • John N. Warfield’s “A Challenge for Systems Engineers: To Evolve towards Systems Science”, published in INCOSE Insight (2007).

The first point reflects my view of the breadth and diversity of the system sciences.  The second point reviewed the some challenges presented by John N. Warfield, who was both a pioneer in the systems engineering community and a luminary in the systems sciences community.  As a guide for the web conference, I provided a context map.

Inline image 1