Abductive Inference, Concept Formation, Hypothesis Formation

Jon Awbrey

Apr 26, 2019, 9:45:19 AM4/26/19
to Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
In pragmatic semiotics, concept formation like hypothesis formation
falls under the heading of abductive inference. There is of course
a lot that's been said and a lot more to say about that, but things
are too much in flux right now to allow for an organized exposition.

So here's just a teaser from Peirce on how concepts evolve from one
level of complexity to the next, using incidentally a paradigm from
the world of physics.

C.S. Peirce • A Guess at the Riddle
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/03/21/c-s-peirce-%e2%80%a2-a-guess-at-the-riddle/

Regards,

Jon

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
oeiswiki: https://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
isw: http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/JLA
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

joseph simpson

Apr 26, 2019, 9:43:03 PM4/26/19
to structura...@googlegroups.com, Ontolog Forum, SysSciWG
Jon:

Very interesting, looking forward to a more detailed discussion.

Hope your Spring and Summer go well..

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe

Joe Simpson

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.

Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.

All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

George Bernard Shaw
Git Hub link:
Research Gate link:
YouTube Channel
Web Site:

Jon Awbrey

Aug 7, 2019, 5:45:14 AM8/7/19
to Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG, Laws Of Form Group, Cybernetic Communications
Cf: Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry : 26
At: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/08/06/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-26/

Re: Gil Kalai : Combinatorics and More
Re: Avi Wigderson : "Integrating Computational Modeling, Algorithms, and
Complexity into Theories of Nature Marks a New Scientific Revolution!"
At:
https://gilkalai.wordpress.com/2019/08/04/avi-wigdersons-integrating-computational-modeling-algorithms-and-complexity-into-theories-of-nature-marks-a-new-scientific-revolution-an-invitation-for-a-discussion/

My 2 cents, or maybe 3 ?

Projects giving a central place to computation in scientific inquiry go
back to Hobbes and Leibniz, at least, and then came Babbage and Peirce.
One of the first issues determining their subsequent development is
the degree to which one identifies computation and deduction. The
next question concerns how many types of reasoning one counts as
contributing to the logic of empirical science:

1. Is deduction alone sufficient?
2. Are deduction and induction irreducible to each other and sufficient in tandem?
3. Are there three irreducible types of inference: abduction, deduction, induction?

Regards,

Jon

On 4/26/2019 9:45 AM, Jon Awbrey wrote:
> In pragmatic semiotics, concept formation like hypothesis formation
> falls under the heading of abductive inference.? There is of course
> a lot that's been said and a lot more to say about that, but things
> are too much in flux right now to allow for an organized exposition.
>
> So here's just a teaser from Peirce on how concepts evolve from one
> level of complexity to the next, using incidentally a paradigm from
> the world of physics.
>
> C.S. Peirce ? A Guess at the Riddle

Jon Awbrey

Aug 20, 2019, 5:45:44 PM8/20/19
to Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG, Laws Of Form Group, Cybernetic Communications
Cf: Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry : 27
At: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/08/20/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-27/

Re: Gil Kalai : Combinatorics and More
Re: Avi Wigderson : "Integrating Computational Modeling, Algorithms, and
Complexity into Theories of Nature Marks a New Scientific Revolution!"
At:
https://gilkalai.wordpress.com/2019/08/04/avi-wigdersons-integrating-computational-modeling-algorithms-and-complexity-into-theories-of-nature-marks-a-new-scientific-revolution-an-invitation-for-a-discussion/

I took a look at Avi's paper "On the Nature of the Theory of Computation" (OtNotToC).
There is naturally a good dose of TOC but little on the type of World-Objective Contact (WOC)
it takes to connect with empirical science. Just on that sample it reminds me of projects like
Wolfram's "New Kind Of Science". They all do a good job of convincing us to use computational
media as virtual laboratories for conducting experimental mathematics, but they leave us hanging
when it comes to analyzing the relation between what goes on inside the box of computation and
the natural world outside the box.

Jon Awbrey

Mar 10, 2020, 11:15:43 AM3/10/20
to Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG, Cybernetic Communications, Peirce List
Cf: Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry : 28
At: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/03/10/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-28/

Re: Ontolog Forum ( https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/pRiN9r9NUoM/overview )
::: Adrian Walker ( https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ontolog-forum/pRiN9r9NUoM/qP_lxfytHQAJ )

AW: Interestingly, this topic [abductive inference] overlaps with planning.

Exactly. Resolving a surprise through an explanation and solving a problem through a plan of action are dual species of
inquiry in general.

This is one of the themes at the top of my work on Inquiry Driven Systems. See, for example, the statement of research
interests I submitted with my application to grad school back in the early 90s.

* Prospects for Inquiry Driven Systems
https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Prospects_for_Inquiry_Driven_Systems

** Topos : Rudiments and Immediate Resources
https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Prospects_for_Inquiry_Driven_Systems#Topos_:_Rudiments_and_Immediate_Resources

<QUOTE>

This inquiry is guided by two questions that express themselves in many different guises. In their most laconic and
provocative style, self-referent but not purely so, they typically bring a person to ask:

* Why am I asking this question?
* How will I answer this question?

Cast in with a pool of other questions these two often act as efficient catalysts of the inquiry process, precipitating
and organizing what results. Expanded into general terms these queries become tantamount to asking:

* What accumulated funds and immediate series of experiences lead up to the moment of surprise that causes the asking of
a question?

* What operational resources and planned sequences of actions lead on to the moment of solution that allows the ending
of a problem?

Phrased in systematic terms, they ask yet again:

* What capacity enables a system to exist in states of question?
* What competence enables a system to exit from its problem states?

</QUOTE>
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

Jon Awbrey

Mar 14, 2020, 12:00:15 PM3/14/20
to Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG, Cybernetic Communications, Peirce List
All,

I expanded my last post on Abduction, etc., filling in
missing bits of discussion and adding a few more links.

I think a link will suffice:

Cf: Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry : 28
At: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/03/10/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-28/

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Mar 15, 2020, 4:08:31 PM3/15/20
to Structural Modeling, SysSciWG, Cybernetic Communications, Peirce List
All,

Questions about "Abduction in AI and Computer Science"
arising in the Ontolog Forum led me to go looking for
what I knew must be any number of previous discussions
on relevant subjects. Here's a sample I came up with:

* Ontolog : Abductive Inference, Concept Formation, Hypothesis Formation
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/8mhlH2YBoA0/overview

* Inquiry: Survey of Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/03/08/survey-of-abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-%e2%80%a2-1/

* Ontolog : Pragmatic Semiotic Information
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/WsdtHpkRvbI/overview

* Inquiry : Survey of Pragmatic Semiotic Information
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/01/08/survey-of-pragmatic-semiotic-information-%e2%80%a2-4/

* Ontolog : { Information = Comprehension × Extension } Revisited
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/TEyKMCnwy2c/overview

* OEIS Wiki : Information = Comprehension x Extension
https://oeis.org/wiki/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Dec 15, 2020, 9:00:15 AM12/15/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry • 30
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/15/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-30/

Re: Richard J. Lipton
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/about-me/
::: The Future Of Mathematics?
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/12/10/the-future-of-mathematics/
::: Is The End Near?
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/12/12/is-the-end-near/

Re: Proofs Are Not As Important As Discoveries (PANAIAD).

Conjecture and Discovery fall under the heading of Abductive Inference
(AI's missing grape).

About which more when I pull my heading out of the Pandemic ...

In the mean time, here's a budget of links from previous discussions.

Inquiry Blog
============

• Survey of Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/03/08/survey-of-abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-1/

• Survey of Pragmatic Semiotic Information
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/11/01/survey-of-pragmatic-semiotic-information-5/

OEIS Wiki
=========

• Information = Comprehension × Extension
https://oeis.org/wiki/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension

Ontolog Forum
=============

• Abductive Inference, Concept Formation, Hypothesis Formation
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/8mhlH2YBoA0/overview

• Information = Comprehension × Extension • Revisited
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/TEyKMCnwy2c/overview

• Pragmatic Semiotic Information (Ψ)
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/WsdtHpkRvbI/overview

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Dec 16, 2020, 5:50:21 PM12/16/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Survey of Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry • 2
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/16/survey-of-abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-2/

All,

This updates my Survey of blog and wiki posts on three elementary
forms of inference, as recognized by a logical tradition extending
from Aristotle through Charles S. Peirce. Particular attention is
paid to the ways these inferential rudiments combine to form the
more complex patterns of analogy and inquiry.

I was especially interested in preserving the long series of discussions
from 2016 bridging a number of silos from biology and physics to ontology
and Peirce studies, including their computational and philosophy of science
aspects, as returning to those efforts at cross-disciplinary communication
has been a constant source of instruction to me. But 2016 was just before
the Gmane Archive and InterSciWiki fell off the live web, so almost all the
links to discussion lists and resource materials ended up broken for ever.
Two weeks of tedious link repair have now remedied that. The things we do
for links ...

Inquiry Blog
============

• Abduction, Deduction, Induction, Analogy, Inquiry
1. https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/08/16/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-1/
2. https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/11/21/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-2/
3. https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/02/17/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-3/
28. https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/03/10/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-28/
29. https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/03/15/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-29/
30. https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/15/abduction-deduction-induction-analogy-inquiry-30/

OEIS Wiki
=========

• Functional Logic • Inquiry and Analogy
https://oeis.org/wiki/Functional_Logic_%E2%80%A2_Inquiry_and_Analogy

• Prospects for Inquiry Driven Systems
https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Prospects_for_Inquiry_Driven_Systems

• Introduction to Inquiry Driven Systems
https://oeis.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Inquiry_Driven_Systems

• Information = Comprehension × Extension
https://oeis.org/wiki/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension

• Inquiry Driven Systems • Inquiry Into Inquiry
https://oeis.org/wiki/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_%E2%80%A2_Overview

Regards,

Jon