Help -- laptop might have gotten friend! Recommendations for great local repair shop?

Susan Doran

May 15, 2016, 10:14:56 PM5/15/16
to SYN Shop
---------also posted in the Meetup discussion forum------------

hi all,

Thought I would see whether anyone associated with SYN Shop might have any suggestions. I don't want to go to Geek Squad.

Last night I was taking a gulp of water -- unbeknownst to me, a gnat had apparently gone swimming in it and passed on.

The sensation of a bug in my mouth resulted in spraying my laptop (not a lot--just maybe 6 or 7 drops? and in mid-expulsion I turned my head and the rest of the H20 hit the floor).

I hand- and blow-dried it and it worked just fine last night. But I decided to turn it all the way off last night to allow the computer to totally chill out.

This morning met with an error saying to select one of 2 options. Neither the cursor (arrows) nor mouse are responsive. However I was able to hit F8, which displayed more options...which I couldn't navigate to. But when I hit ESC that worked, so keyboard not *totally* dead.

Anyway, who would you recommend I go to for help with this? I am using an old clunky laptop right now (very grateful it's working)!

But there is a lot of ish on my harddrive that I really need--so I hope to reconcile this situation one way or another---even if that means discovering it's fried.

I'm located in Henderson.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!
Susan

Brian Westgate

May 16, 2016, 2:02:43 AM5/16/16
to SYN Shop
I think just about anyone at the shop will be able to do as much as the Greek squad can.

Joseph Shaul

May 16, 2016, 4:14:28 AM5/16/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Try a USB keyboard.  If it works,  you just need a new laptop keyboard - they cost peanuts for most machines.

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Vanessa Wilbur

May 16, 2016, 5:41:37 PM5/16/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Joseph, I would love to see a company actually accept peanuts as a form of payment.  Gonna try it one day.

I also highly doubt that the hardrive itself could have been damaged if you got to a screen that gave you options.  Also hard drives are typically tucked neatly away in the back side of the laptop.
Personally, I would just remove the hard drive and copy to another it just in case, but it seems likely it's just the keyboard.
--

This post only uses 100% recycled electrons.

Vanessa Wilbur
SYN Shop
1075 American Pacific Dr Ste C
Henderson, NV  89074