Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire CALL FOR MAKERS

Bill Tomiyasu

Oct 3, 2015, 1:21:32 PM10/3/15
to synshop, synshop-board, Yvonne Houy
FYI,

Maker Faire has recently teamed up with Barnes & Noble bookstores nationwide to do a Mini Maker Faire at all of their locations on November 6 - 8. They are looking for Makers who are willing to show off something that they’ve made and participate in the event.

We met with the managers at the Summerlin Barnes & Noble and they are just getting started with organizing their event. We wanted to let our membership know that SYN Shop has been asked to support the local stores. We feel that the best way to do that is to let our members know that it’s going to happen and ask, if you are interested in participating, that you contact the management of the store nearest to you for details.

The 3-day event is set up in 2-hour blocks so you wouldn’t have to commit to a full day. Some of the stores are getting Da Vinci Jr. 3D printers, Elenco Snap Circuits, and LittleBits. If you’ve used any of these before and would like to help out the stores, they could use people who can help demonstrate them. Below is a link to the national signup form and also the contact info for the local Las Vegas B&N stores. If you decide to help out, let the managers know that SYN Shop sent you!

Summerlin: Sam Barnhart or Brooke Jensen
Crossroads Commons
8915 W. Charleston Las Vegas, NV 89117
702-242-1987

Henderson: Deborah Federico
567 North Stephanie
Henderson, NV 89014
702-434-1533

Las Vegas: Crystal Perkins
Rainbow Promenade
2191 N Rainbow Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89108

Bill Tomiyasu

Oct 8, 2015, 2:12:55 PM10/8/15
to synshop, synshop-board, Yvonne Houy
I met with the B&N Stephanie/Sunset store yesterday and they gave me a schedule for when they would like makers to be at the event. This appears to be the same schedule for all 3 store locations. If you want to participate at any of these locations, please respond to this thread. Yvonne Houy is working with the Summerlin store (Rampart/Charleston) and SYN Shop is working with the Stephanie store (Stephanie/Sunset). We are trying to find out who is in charge of the Rainbow location (Rainbow/Smoke Ranch).

Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire:
Friday (11-6) from 5pm - 7pm
Saturday (11-7) from 1pm - 7pm
Sunday (11-8) from 1pm - 5pm

Krux

Oct 8, 2015, 2:31:18 PM10/8/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Bill Tomiyasu, synshop-board, Yvonne Houy
Count me in.
perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Bill Tomiyasu

Oct 8, 2015, 2:39:07 PM10/8/15
to Caleb Schmucker, synshop-board, synshop, Yvonne Houy
I’ll look into it. If they don’t can we just bring one down to show?

On Oct 8, 2015, at 11:36 AM, Caleb Schmucker <chero...@synshop.org> wrote:

Do they have any outdoor space? TinyKart may be something fun to show haha.

Bill Tomiyasu

Oct 8, 2015, 3:17:42 PM10/8/15
to synshop, synshop-board, Yvonne Houy
Thanks Krux! Looking forward to people’s reaction to the Tesla coil.

I just want to point out to anyone on the fence about participating that this is a good way to do a test run on showing off your stuff. The venue is small so you don’t have to bring an entire booth’s worth of things. We want to keep it fun and relaxed. It’s an opportunity to meet people interested in what we do and good practice for our Mini Maker Faire next Feb/Mar.

It would awesome if we could make a nice showing of various projects. It helps SYN Shop get new members and will help advertise our Mini Maker Faire event. The nice thing is that the Stephanie store is less than 2 miles away from the shop and we can let people know to check us out if they show interest. We have open hours for most of the event on Saturday the 7th of November. Let me know if you want to help out at any of the 3 locations. Thx!

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

mr jones

Oct 8, 2015, 3:35:30 PM10/8/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com, synshop-board, Yvonne Houy
Hey all,

While I don't have any specific projects, I'd be happy to put in a couple hours manning a mini-booth/project, assuming that who ever shows up might either like some company or would like a nice long lunch break.  This time could also be put toward setup/tear down.  Please let me know if my help is needed!

-adj

Bill Tomiyasu

Oct 8, 2015, 3:51:42 PM10/8/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Yvonne Houy
It would be cool to have one of the 3D printers running. B&N has a DaVinci 3D printer, but no one there knows how to run it or talk about the technology. B&N also has Little Bits and Snap Circuits to play with. If you don't want to show off a project, helping out demo some of their toys would be appreciated too.

Daniel Hill

Oct 9, 2015, 1:52:01 AM10/9/15
to SYN Shop
I've got the clock kit class on Saturday, but I would love to bring that and a few other projects to show. Beer/mountain dew lights?

Bill Tomiyasu

Oct 13, 2015, 1:56:19 PM10/13/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Hill
Hi Dan,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this. The event runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday (6th - 8th). I saw that your clock kit class is on Saturday at 1pm, but you could come by and show it off after the class on Saturday or on Friday or Sunday in the afternoon. Below are the hours again. They are the same for each store for the makers to show stuff:

> Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire:
> Friday (11-6) from 5pm - 7pm
> Saturday (11-7) from 1pm - 7pm
> Sunday (11-8) from 1pm - 5pm

If you can make it, respond to this thread or email me directly. Thx!

--BillT
bi...@synshop.org

On Oct 8, 2015, at 10:52 PM, Daniel Hill wrote:

> I've got the clock kit class on Saturday, but I would love to bring that and a few other projects to show. Beer/mountain dew lights?

Bill Tomiyasu

Oct 19, 2015, 8:10:57 PM10/19/15
to synshop, synshop-board, Yvonne Houy
I wanted to put out a last Call for Makers for the Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire on November 6 - 8th. SYN Shop is helping out directly with the store on Stephanie/Sunset but any maker can participate with the nearest store (see email below for contact info).

If you want to be a part of the Stephanie store event, please respond to this thread sometime this week as there is a waiver that needs to be signed. If you want to participate in the Summerlin store event (same dates/times) please contact Yvonne Houy who is cc’d on this email or contact the Summerlin B&N directly (contact info in the email below).

Thanks to all who have already shown an interest. We’ll be asking you all to participate in SYN Shop’s Mini Maker Faire this coming February!