RasPlex

Caitlin Wolff

May 19, 2016, 2:14:18 PM5/19/16
to SYN Shop
Does anyone here use RasPlex?

I am just researching it and have a question or two. For example, why would I have to pay $5/month to Plex to copy a file from my own Plex server onto an ipad or other mobile device? I own the server, the files, the device and the rasperry pi... is using RasPlex instead of regular Plex a workaround for this?

o.0 confused

Caitlin Wolff

May 19, 2016, 2:18:10 PM5/19/16
to SYN Shop
Couldn't I use an external hd to hold all the files, and then tell the rasplex that that's the server data? Then I could take it with me...

Aakin Patel

May 19, 2016, 2:38:30 PM5/19/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Plex licenses the Plex software to you for $5/month. If you want to use the sharing features, you need the license, regardless of whether or not it is on your hardware; it's the software that you are paying for.

- Aakin

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Caitlin Wolff

May 19, 2016, 2:55:14 PM5/19/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Well they have a free version, which allows all the basics like playing all your files on any device you hook up. What I'm not understanding is why I would have to pay for the privelege of moving a file onto a device as opposed to streaming it. Am I missing something here? Or is this just their way of trying to make money?

The idea of having rasplex unify all my music, movies etc into one place is nice but I'd like to also take them with me on road trips. So that's why I was looking at a hard drive and raspberry pi. But if they are charging for me to access my own files from a mobile device ... that must mean I can't just drag the file over and download it. Which means they are stopping me from accessing it? I'm a bit confused.

I'm not asking how to pirate it. It seems weird to me so I think I'm missing something.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SYN Shop" group.

Bill Tomiyasu

May 19, 2016, 3:27:10 PM5/19/16
to synshop
Plex looks to be a streaming server solution with multiple client interfaces. RasPlex is one of the (less expensive) clients. If there’s a fee to use Plex, then that’s their revenue model.

Plex doesn’t look like a cloud storage solution, just streaming. If you want to have access to actual music/video files on a road trip, you should just bring them with you on a portable hard drive and watch/listen using other software (like iTunes) or run Plex on your laptop and serve them locally to any tv using a RasPlex client. I think the only reason to do the 2nd option would be because you like the RasPlex interface. Personally, I would play my files on my laptop using other software. Optionally, you could hook your laptop up to an HDMI tv and run it full screen, which, sans cool interface, would probably achieve similar results.

Jeremy Hoel

May 19, 2016, 4:26:26 PM5/19/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I just recently started using Plex full time and looked into lots of agents and options and might be able to explain a bit.

The free plex server is a tool to stream and transcode media.  When using internally, on your network, via the web interface, it's all free.  The plex apps can be independently bought at normally $5 a pop and can then allow that device, without the web interface to download/stream/transcode.  If you buy a plex pass, you can access that plex server remotely, securely (they generate a pretty spiffy unique ssl key for your server) and then start to share with friends, and you get unlimited access to all the apps and then use it however you want.

If you only want to play media internally, never remotely, then buy the new apps and use them.  There are probably alternatives to the rasplex itself, but the plex forums would have lots more informaito about that.  I've used chromecast, roku and amazon firesticks with their apps to talk to my plex server internally and remotely and the interface is really slick, multiple users and are tracking and rights are also pretty awesome.

Caitlin Wolff

May 20, 2016, 10:09:15 AM5/20/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jeremy that helped.