Carpet Options

kr...@thcnet.net

May 30, 2017, 2:39:46 AM5/30/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
So looking at some options for carpet:

We can get a random assortment of 24" carpet tiles, which look something like
this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nance-Industries-Square-Assorted-Commercial/dp/B01C7DYZCQ/

https://www.amazon.com/Kaleidoscope-24-Carpet-Tile-Assorted/dp/B00BDW14CW

From what I see, random tends to be the most popular offering in 24" tiles.

If we wanted specific colors, 18" tiles are available, but cost a little more:

https://www.amazon.com/Ribbed-Carpet-Residential-Flooring-Adhering/dp/B00S6V4GLO

Seems to be mostly browns, and beige colors available for these kind of tiles

There are also 12" tiles, which cost even more yet:

https://www.amazon.com/Ribbed-Carpet-Residential-Flooring-Adhering/dp/B00S6V4GLO

Of these you can find a lot of greys/blacks.

They are all peel and stick, so it should be pretty easy from an installation
standpoint.

Of these options I like the idea of the random carpet tiles the best. It
seems to be the most cost effective option, but I also think it looks pretty
cool. We would be doing the main room, leaving the existing carpet in the 3D
printing, side office, and eletronics/laser cutting area.

Do people like that idea, or would we rather try to go with a solid color?

perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Richard Furniss

May 31, 2017, 12:54:39 PM5/31/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what were are doing, are we repairing the missing section of
carpet or are we replacing app the carpet in the main room?

That carpet repair is not as hard as it looks, I worked with a carpet
layer and he taught me how to do seams ( but ironically he did all the
seaming)

What is the price to have a carpet person do the repair?? Did we get
estimate?

Aakin Patel

May 31, 2017, 1:03:44 PM5/31/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
The issue is, we can't find that carpet anymore to patch the hole.

We were gonna tear it all up and replace it with the carpet tiles, makes it easier to fix future issues too.

- Aakin

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Richard Furniss

Jun 1, 2017, 1:47:12 PM6/1/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I think is a terrible idea, Just my opinion. I think it would be better to patch that carpet with a black insert, and a lot cheaper.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Richard Furniss <rfur...@cox.net> wrote:
--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

@synshop
https://synshop.org
---

dan.g...@unlv.edu

Jun 2, 2017, 10:52:05 AM6/2/17
to SYN Shop
I'm not sure this is a good idea, but I have a rather large piece of commercial grade, barely used carpet, medium to light grey color with a random speckled pattern (I think), that I can donate.  It won't hide the dirt and traffic patterns well but will hide small spills and burns.  I think it is roughly 12'x20' but I would need to re-measure.  I think I could deliver it.  Let me know if you are interested.

Dan

Aakin Patel

Jun 3, 2017, 4:49:41 PM6/3/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
We could definitely use that, if you are willing to bring it down.

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

dan.g...@unlv.edu

Jun 4, 2017, 6:31:55 PM6/4/17
to SYN Shop
Let me know when you would like it down at the SynShop by.  I'm out this weekend so next would be best for me.

Dan

Richard

dan.g...@unlv.edu

Jun 11, 2017, 9:02:15 PM6/11/17
to SYN Shop
Hi Richard,

 I see you are minding the shop on Saturday but I have an appointment that afternoon so I will try to get it down there before then.  I think I will attempt to deliver it on Thursday night.

Dan

Aakin Patel

Jun 11, 2017, 9:18:12 PM6/11/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
That works too. Thank you again.

- Aakin

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

dan.g...@unlv.edu

Jun 15, 2017, 11:39:35 PM6/15/17
to SYN Shop

I delivered the carpet to the SynShop today.  It is in the back near the roll up door.

I have attached a few pictures of it.  It measured 12' (actually, slightly wider) by 25'.  It is very clean and never installed but is technically used, having been laid out for a couple of special events.

The label says it was manufactured in late 2004.  I checked for delamination and it seems intact but is a little dry in some place around the edges.  If you feel it is too old to install, I'll cut it up and haul it away.  Did you plan to install it on the concrete floor or over padding? I think it would be best to put it directly on the floor and will last longer that way.

Let me know what you think.

Dan

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 7:03:03 PM UTC-7, Richard Furniss wrote:
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG

Aakin Patel

Jun 15, 2017, 11:43:52 PM6/15/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thank you!

This will help a lot.

- Aakin

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Richard Furniss

dan.g...@unlv.edu

Jun 19, 2017, 11:12:52 AM6/19/17
to SYN Shop, dan.g...@unlv.edu
Hi Richard,

Did you get to work on the carpet?  If so, how did it work out?

Dan

Richard Furniss