Any interest in a Vive Demo?

Jason Creager

Jul 15, 2016, 2:25:20 PM7/15/16
to SYN Shop
Howdy,

How many folks would be interested in a demo in the shop of the HTC Vive? Well, by "demo" I mean something along the lines of "Here, look at the cool technology of these wireless laser scanners and this is how you set it up. Now, let's play!" Any in depth technical discussions will need to be sourced from reddit and held on your own. I can only relate the "joy" of trying to get the thing working.

The scanners have a standard 1/4-20 camera tripod mount on the bottom and need to be mounted above head height, so that would be the only thing we'd need to figure out. They unscrew easily from the wall mount, so removing them for the trip would not be a problem. (I'm not taking the wall mounts out of the wall.) Other than that, it's just me bringing the computer and a small box of gear.

I have ordered a couple of waterproof foam covers that won't ship until August 4, so it would need to be sometime mid-August. This is a necessity for a group situation because you do sweat while wearing them and it feels creepy to put on the headset after someone else (even family) has used it. They're a pleather type cover that you can wipe down with alcohol pads.

If you wear glasses like I do, you'll be happy to know that it's very little problem. Contacts or good eyes are better, but glasses are only a minor annoyance.

Also, everyone would probably want to bring their own In Ear Headphones. The audio can be mirrored to another output, but it's much more immersive to have it right in your head.

I'll leave the logistics up to you folks, but we'd definitely need to limit the attendance so that there's ample time for everyone. It's not something where you'd be happy hearing someone yell "TIME'S UP!" after five minutes. Saturday or Sunday would probably be best. Perhaps make it a Members Only event?

I can post the games we have, too. It's a really revolutionary technology

Thoughts?

Jason

krux

Jul 15, 2016, 2:46:39 PM7/15/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Jason Creager
On 2016-07-15 11:25, Jason Creager wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> How many folks would be interested in a demo in the shop of the HTC
> Vive? Well, by "demo" I mean something along the lines of "Here, look
> at the cool technology of these wireless laser scanners and this is
> how you set it up. Now, let's play!" Any in depth technical
> discussions will need to be sourced from reddit and held on your own.
> I can only relate the "joy" of trying to get the thing working.

Sounds fun. They had one setup for people to use at one of the small
cons I was just at, and it was enjoyable for people to play or even
people to watch people play and see a copy of things on the big screen.
We certainly have the space for it.
--
perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

James Cole

Jul 15, 2016, 2:52:14 PM7/15/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Jason Creager

I'd like to try it.  I think we have the room at the shop for a demo.

--
James Cole
Sent from my Tricorder

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Jason Shupe

Jul 15, 2016, 9:21:41 PM7/15/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

I'm in!

Thanks,
-J

Jason Shupe

Cell: +1-702-278-7614
Skype: JPShupe
www.JasonShupe.com

Jason Creager

Oct 4, 2016, 1:20:35 PM10/4/16
to SYN Shop
I'm in the middle of a StepUp upgrade for the video card, so it shouldn't be too much longer now.