Pine Wood Derby

kr...@thcnet.net

Apr 13, 2015, 9:55:26 PM4/13/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
There was talk of doing a SYN Shop Pine Wood Derby at some point.. here's some
inspiration

http://hackaday.com/2015/04/13/an-open-source-pinewood-derby-track/

perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Matt S

Apr 14, 2015, 1:54:42 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I think a Pinewood Derby event would be great fun. (I think i still have my car from middle school)

Should do two classes / race groups. One group were all of the cars follow the BSA rules, and second group with no rules (with in reason, can't add motors, no rockets, lasers guns, etc...).

-Matt

Elias Leers

Apr 14, 2015, 2:05:14 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
And a third group with actually no rules. Rockets, motors, etc.

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Colleen Carroll

Apr 14, 2015, 2:09:14 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
That looks like so much fun. :)

Best, Colly

Matt S

Apr 14, 2015, 2:29:56 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Agree, now that i think about it a little more i think two groups would be perfect, the "Normal" cars group, and the "No Holds" group.

I think both groups would provide great experiences for the builders.

-Matt

Daniel Hill

Apr 14, 2015, 9:49:38 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I bought a bunch of wood to use for a Danger Room safety class. I can do these up as competition blanks. Then you'd be a bulk pack of wheels away from an event.

Richard Furniss

Apr 14, 2015, 11:32:16 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I think a non-regulation event is more of our style and fun, we don't need no stinking rules.

Daniel Hill

Jarred Coelho

Jarred Coelho

Apr 14, 2015, 11:44:43 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

    After looking around, it appears that someone over at YESCO might own a track that they set up and let troops use. But I guess a non-profit is a non-profit. Might be worth it to contact him Krux.

     https://www.facebook.com/pages/Derby-n-Desert/253147374780

If hes not willing to let us rocket off his track. maybe he might know of someone else who would.

Thanks,
Jarred

Richard Furniss

Apr 14, 2015, 11:51:26 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I take back what I said earlier, we need some rules, this is a public event and safety has to be maintained (rules). High energy devices should not be used for safety reasons.

Krux

Apr 14, 2015, 11:55:55 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Hill
Sounds like a great outdoor event
perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Krux

Apr 14, 2015, 11:58:31 AM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Richard Furniss
You just have to encase the track in polycarbonate.
perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Richard Furniss

Apr 14, 2015, 12:00:55 PM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Daniel you should have a build it night and show people how to make the blanks and carve the cars. This is turning into a motorized and non-motorized drag race.

Jarred Coelho

Apr 14, 2015, 12:02:28 PM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
We could do CO2 dragsters. They are tethered for safety.

http://www.schooltube.com/video/bf47ac5ebe7040419108/

That might be a better/safer option.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SYN Shop" group.

Richard Furniss

Apr 14, 2015, 12:05:53 PM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
We can have the non-motorized cars using the track in the normal way using gravity and the motorized cars going the other way on the track and see how far we can get them into the air.

Jarred Coelho

Apr 14, 2015, 12:08:50 PM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
If we could get the proper track, that would make for an interesting event. A pinewood derby long jump. Only problem is you probably are not to have any working car after that event.

Krux

Apr 14, 2015, 12:19:40 PM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Jarred Coelho
You just have a hard stop at either end.
perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Richard Furniss

Apr 14, 2015, 12:26:16 PM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
"you probably are not to have any working car after that event"
I don't see a problem

Daniel Hill

Apr 14, 2015, 12:46:03 PM4/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Does the Danger Room have a Jointer?  Also, I'm not a member so I would need an escort.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SYN Shop" group.

Caitlin Wolff

Apr 15, 2015, 1:33:23 AM4/15/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Sounds pretty sweet!

Jason Creager

May 1, 2015, 4:52:27 PM5/1/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I have a whole toolbox full of Pinewood Derby tools and all of my cars from child and extended-childhood. We always had adult races since that gave the adults like me an outlet to build their own cars and let the kids' cars be the kids.

The advancements made since most of us were kids are amazing. Tungsten weight has revolutionized car design. My buddy probably still has the wooden track we built (it was cheap, but it worked, mostly), however, I'm sure you could find a Cub Scout Pack that would be willing to loan their aluminum track in exchange for a cool science demo night at the shop.

Honestly, you'd only need a three or four lane track for a handful of people.

Jason Creager

May 1, 2015, 4:54:27 PM5/1/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
As for rules, that's the best part of it. Seeing who builds the best car that fits within the specified rules. Typically, the main rule is 5.0 ounces or less and from a BSA kit.

Richard Furniss

Jun 14, 2015, 11:47:46 AM6/14/15
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Brian, can we do a Pine Wood Derby event like this?? we can make a lot of saw dust.