Re: [sympy] GSoC 2015 Application: Implement First Order Logic

Message has been deleted

Sudhanshu Mishra

Mar 25, 2015, 4:02:46 AM3/25/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You might want to see this. https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/7608

A substantial amount of work has been already done on FOL. It hasn't been merged yet because of some marginal work left.

Sudhanshu Mishra

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 12:14 PM, <pdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear SymPy mailing list,

This message is to introduce myself as an applicant for Google Summer of Code. Please see my application wiki here: https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2015-Application:-Implement-First-Order-Logic . Feedback is welcome.

P. Dworz

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Joachim Durchholz

Mar 25, 2015, 12:16:13 PM3/25/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Am 25.03.2015 um 10:56 schrieb pdw...@gmail.com:
> 1) Are any mentors willing to consider this project? No is OK.

I can't mentor officially due to lack of time, but I'm prepared to
answer questions.
I have some training in first-order logic so at least I know what you're
talking about when you're asking questions, and I'm good at software design.

> 2) Would it be wise to continue Soumya's work, or to build something new?

Given Sudanshu's comment that a "substantial amount of work" has already
been done" and only "marginal work left", I guess it's bests to pick up
where Soumya left off.

I'd read the existing code, try to understand it, and where stuff isn't
clear just by reading it, add docstrings (that's very important to make
the whole thing maintainable).
And, of course, do that "marginal work".

BTW this is the surface finish. Might sound less of a challenge than
getting the "bones and meat" done, but without the finish, the code will
never get integrated.

With this kind of task, you will gain insight into what code maintenance
is all about.

> 5) Do I have enough time to put together a reasonable application? (I am
> insecure because my application is primitive compared to Soumya's)

There is *always* that additional aspect to document, that unit test to
optimize, that unfortunate API design to iron the kinks out, so I'm
pretty sure that you'll have more than enough work on your table to fill
a GSoC.

Note that this is just a proposal what you could do *instead* of what
you had in mind originally.
However, if your heart and soul is in your original proposal, then by
any means do that!

Aaron Meurer

Mar 25, 2015, 12:19:53 PM3/25/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
You should continue Souyma's project. I would start by looking at his
proposal from last year (it's on the wiki) and see what he didn't get
to.

Aaron Meurer

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:56 AM, <pdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, thanks. Soumya's 2014 GSoC project was ambitious, and required hard
> work. FOL.py is well structured, but is missing definitions of classes such
> as ForAll and Exists (I know quantifiers are difficult).
>
> I would love implement first-order logic in SymPy. Some questions:
> 1) Are any mentors willing to consider this project? No is OK.
> 2) Would it be wise to continue Soumya's work, or to build something new?
> 3) Are there any areas of SymPy which are useful to First-Order Logic or
> which benefit from First-Order Logic?
> 4) Are there any working implementations/papers of First-Order Logic that I
> can refer to for this project?
> 5) Do I have enough time to put together a reasonable application? (I am
> insecure because my application is primitive compared to Soumya's)
> 6) Does anyone have any other advice?
>
> I really would love to do this project. Thanks for your time.
>
> P. Dworz
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/11ea797c-ec5e-45bd-bdef-a875d5a641dd%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Aaron Meurer

Mar 26, 2015, 10:32:19 PM3/26/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget to submit it in Melange. It won't count unless you do.
Also, you will need to submit a patch to fulfill the patch
requirement. I would recommend working on that.

Aaron Meurer