PyCon India - 2017

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Jul 8, 2017, 12:41:41 AM7/8/17
to sympy
Hello all,

This post is regarding upcoming PyCon India in Delhi. I am interested to attend this event and for the talk or workshop on SymPy.  Let me know if someone is available and willing to join.

Related links:

Last year I put proposal and got some reviews. I am pasting some lines here :

1. note that we except tutorials and workshops to be highly interactive, and ideally it should not contain material that can simply be found on SymPy's online documentation. So please make detailed material and upload it here. (IPython notebooks would be great.)

2. please consider having a few exercises on symengine. It would be especially good if you can make the tutorial more about sympy as a wrapper around symengine.

Cheers,

Amit Kumar

Jul 8, 2017, 7:16:38 AM7/8/17
to sympy

Hi Shekhar,

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 10:11:41 AM UTC+5:30, Shekhar Prasad Rajak wrote:
Hello all,

This post is regarding upcoming PyCon India in Delhi. I am interested to attend this event and for the talk or workshop on SymPy.  Let me know if someone is available and willing to join.

Glad to know that you have put up a proposal for SymPy Tutorial in PyCon India. I will be there as well to help.

Related links:

Last year I put proposal and got some reviews. I am pasting some lines here :

1. note that we except tutorials and workshops to be highly interactive, and ideally it should not contain material that can simply be found on SymPy's online documentation. So please make detailed material and upload it here. (IPython notebooks would be great.)

2. please consider having a few exercises on symengine. It would be especially good if you can make the tutorial more about sympy as a wrapper around symengine.

+1 We should include a short hands-on tutorial on SymEngine as well.

Cheers,
Amit

Cheers,

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Jul 9, 2017, 2:05:20 AM7/9/17
to sympy
Thanks Amit !

Last year proposal was similar to the 2015 PyCon India proposal . I think we must add examples, that we want to present in IPython notebook in the proposal at the beginning.

Please share links of tutorials that have presented in various conferences and SymEngine tutorials as well.

I have found these links :

- Some examples from here: http://docs.sympy.org/dev/tutorial/

Let me know if someone have presented talk on SymEngine. Suggestions are welcome.

--
Shekhar

Amit Kumar

Jul 9, 2017, 2:10:04 AM7/9/17
to sympy

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 11:35:20 AM UTC+5:30, Shekhar Prasad Rajak wrote:
Thanks Amit !

Last year proposal was similar to the 2015 PyCon India proposal . I think we must add examples, that we want to present in IPython notebook in the proposal at the beginning.

Please share links of tutorials that have presented in various conferences and SymEngine tutorials as well.

I have found these links :

- Some examples from here: http://docs.sympy.org/dev/tutorial/

You have all the links.

Let me know if someone have presented talk on SymEngine. Suggestions are welcome.

There have been a couple of talks on SymEngine to my knowledge. One by Sumith at PyCon India 2015 and other by Ondrej and Isuru in SciPy 2016.
Both the videos/content are available online.

Shikhar Jaiswal

Jul 9, 2017, 6:36:16 PM7/9/17
to sympy
Hi Shekhar and Amit,

I am interested to attend this event as well. Though I was initially planning on proposing a 40-minute talk on SymEngine and SymEngine.py, I think that can be incorporated in this tutorial.

As a part of my project, I'll be making a Jupyter notebook based on using SymEngine through SymEngine.py, which should suit these needs, though the time-line for that isn't decided yet.

Thanks,
Shikhar

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Jul 10, 2017, 11:29:16 AM7/10/17
to sympy
On Monday, 10 July 2017 04:06:16 UTC+5:30, Shikhar Jaiswal wrote:
Hi Shekhar and Amit,

I am interested to attend this event as well. Though I was initially planning on proposing a 40-minute talk on SymEngine and SymEngine.py, I think that can be incorporated in this tutorial.

Nice! It will be good if you write some symengine examples from the beginning level to advance to add it in the proposal.

As a part of my project, I'll be making a Jupyter notebook based on using SymEngine through SymEngine.py, which should suit these needs, though the time-line for that isn't decided yet.

I don't have much idea about the time in workshop or talk. Lets first add examples from the beginning to advance in IPython notebook and finalise the contents.

Some helpful links on SymEngine here :

Thanks,
Shikhar

Shikhar Jaiswal

Jul 10, 2017, 2:34:40 PM7/10/17
to sympy

I don't have much idea about the time in workshop or talk. Lets first add examples from the beginning to advance in IPython notebook and finalise the contents.
If I'm not wrong, a talk has a duration of 40 minutes whereas a workshop has a fixed timing of 2.5 hours.

Thanks,
Shikhar

Amit Kumar

Jul 10, 2017, 2:39:11 PM7/10/17
to sympy
Hi Shikhar,

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 4:06:16 AM UTC+5:30, Shikhar Jaiswal wrote:
Hi Shekhar and Amit,

I am interested to attend this event as well. Though I was initially planning on proposing a 40-minute talk on SymEngine and SymEngine.py, I think that can be incorporated in this tutorial.

I would encourage you to propose an exclusive SymEngine talk as well, it would be an
interesting material for a full-fledged talk. You can anyway join in for workshop if it gets
accepted.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

Shikhar Jaiswal

Jul 11, 2017, 5:54:54 PM7/11/17
to sympy

I would encourage you to propose an exclusive SymEngine talk as well, it would be an
interesting material for a full-fledged talk. You can anyway join in for workshop if it gets
accepted.

Thanks for the suggestion Amit! I have created a rough draft here (not public yet). Sumith would be helping me with the slides, which I'll begin to work on shortly.

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Jul 28, 2017, 2:28:28 PM7/28/17
to sympy, AMiT Kumar
Hello,

The material for the workshop will be available in this github repo : https://github.com/Shekharrajak/PyCon-SymPy-SymEngine

I am modifying/adding new examples for SymPy and improving other things in the repo.

Shikhar please add few examples/tutorial and some lines about SymEngine in the repo.

I will create draft soon.

Regards,
Shekhar

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Aug 6, 2017, 1:01:22 PM8/6/17
to sympy, dtu....@gmail.com
The proposal link is here :

Please have a look and let me know if you find any mistake or want to add something.

Cheers,
Shekhar

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Aug 6, 2017, 1:38:18 PM8/6/17
to sympy
The same proposal is added in the wiki : https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/PyCon-India-2017-Proposal . Feel free to edit and let me know the mistakes.

--
Shekhar

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Oct 2, 2017, 5:03:08 AM10/2/17
to sy...@googlegroups.com, AMiT Kumar
Hello all,

The workshop proposal has been accepted.  We need to improve slides and tutorials in the repo : https://github.com/Shekharrajak/PyCon-SymPy-SymEngine  and plan it accordingly..

Please confirm once the availability.

The speakers are :

  • Amit Kumar, Core Developer & GSoC-cer at SymPy
  • Shekhar Prasad Rajak : NIT Warangal | Core Developer at SymPy GSoC 2016 | Solvers, Sets
  • Shikhar Jaiswal : IIT Patna | Student Developer at SymPy GSoC 2017 | SymPy - SymEngine Integration and Python Wrappers

Cheers,
Shekhar

Sincerely,
Shekhar Prasad Rajak