Introduction & Intent To Contribute

Harry Trivedi

Apr 14, 2018, 12:47:45 AM4/14/18
to sympy
Hi (Aaron & Team SymPy),

I am Harry Trivedi, a student of Master of Computing [splz. Artificial Intelligence] at The Australian National University. I am currently studying a course Free & Open Source Software Development as a part of my program. For one of my assessments, I am supposed to research and contribute to an actively developing FOSS project. I came across this project and found it a very interesting and useful library for mathematical and scientific development.

I have researched a fair bit, walking through the documentation and tutorials in the GitHub repository and the website. If you're interested more, I am attaching a presentation that I gave on this project. I am fairly competent in Python and would like to start contributing to the project by fixing some of the issues on GitHub and/or contributing to the documentation. Any thoughts and discussions on what I should pick up and/or how I should proceed as a beginner in FOSS are very much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Harry

Harry Trivedi

Apr 14, 2018, 1:16:19 AM4/14/18
to sympy
SymPy.pdf

Aaron Meurer

Apr 14, 2018, 2:28:44 AM4/14/18
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry.

That's a nice presentation. If you haven't already, you should go
through the developer guides
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Introduction-to-contributing and
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Development-workflow.

You can start with the issues tagged easy to fix (we just had GSoC
students going through them, so there may not be many left, but there
should be some, especially if you look at the older ones). Other than
that, I recommend going for an area of SymPy that you are interested
in.

Aaron Meurer
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/82b7bc58-fc67-4e3b-a6e4-55ce83901889%40googlegroups.com.

Harry Trivedi

Apr 14, 2018, 2:40:23 AM4/14/18
to sympy
Thanks Aaron! :)

I have gone through these links already as a part of my initial research. I must say, this is one of the most well documented FOSS project I've seen thus far. You guys have got pretty much everything from READMEs to CheatSheets.

I guess I'll get going working on the GitHub issues then. I hope I can get some help, either on Gitter or here on the mailing list if I run into some problems.

Cheers!

Harry