trouble with "make html" in doc

Rathmann

Aug 3, 2017, 6:23:19 PM8/3/17
to sympy
Is anyone else seeing

. . .
PYTHONPATH=..: sphinx-build -b html -d _build/doctrees -W src _build/html
Running Sphinx v1.5.3

Warning, treated as error:
WARNING: latex_use_modindex is deprecated. Use latex_domain_indices instead.

Makefile:49: recipe for target 'html' failed

when doing make html in doc?   I just did a "git pull" to bring the latest 1.1 code into my (unedited) branch, and am seeing the above message.  (I hadn't pulled or built docs for a few weeks at least, so this may not be terribly new.)

commenting out the line
   html: SPHINXOPTS += -W
in doc/Makefile allows me to build without issues, but I assume this is not the desired solution.

This is likely something weird in my environment, but if others are seeing it, it would be worth tracking down.

I am on Ubuntu 17.04, and installed the available packages for latex, sphinx, etc. from the Ubuntu repository.

Thanks

Aaron Meurer

Aug 3, 2017, 6:33:29 PM8/3/17
to sy...@googlegroups.com
The docs were recently updated to work with the latest version of Sphinx (1.6.3), and they may no longer work with older versions. If you still see that in the latest version, it is a bug and we should fix it.

Aaron Meurer

Rathmann

Aug 3, 2017, 7:02:16 PM8/3/17
to sympy
Thanks, that may well be it.

The Ubuntu repository seems to be at 1.5.3  (1.5.3-1ubuntu0.1 (zesty)), so I guess using apt/synaptic/etc. to install sphinx won't work anymore.

I'll check with the latest sphinx.

We do reference latex_use_modindex (which is what the error message was complaining about) in /doc/src/conf.py

On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 3:33:29 PM UTC-7, Aaron Meurer wrote:
The docs were recently updated to work with the latest version of Sphinx (1.6.3), and they may no longer work with older versions. If you still see that in the latest version, it is a bug and we should fix it.

Aaron Meurer

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Rathmann <rathm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is anyone else seeing

. . .