sympy leadership

Ondrej Certik

May 3, 2011, 10:46:43 PM5/3/11
to sympy
Hi,

Since I passed the project leadership to Aaron, he has done a
fantastic job. It wasn't clearly defined
what exactly the job is, as it wasn't clear to either of us at that
time. Since then, things have settled
very nicely, and as such, we wanted to clarify in writing the
responsibilities (that we are already following anyway):

----------------
* Ondrej is the "project originator and owner" that has ultimate
responsibility for the project

* Aaron is the "project maintainer" and Ondrej delegates *all* code
related decisions to Aaron. In particular Ondrej will not override
Aaron on code related decisions.

* Ondrej will work alongside Aaron in matters that involve the larger
direction of
the project, such as the vision of sympy.

* The only situations where Ondrej should step in and override Aaron are:

- To replace Aaron as maintainer (e.g. if Aaron gets busy or steps
down, or there are unresolvable conflicts)

- To help resolve a conflict between Aaron and a project member that
can't be resolved otherwise. But, even in this situation, Ondrej should
basically just back Aaron up.

* Decision making:

- In most things informal consensus (+1/-1) will be used to make
decisions (This is the "democracy" side
of things.)

- When consensus cannot be reached after everyone has given it their
best shot, Aaron will make the final
decision. (This is the "Benevolent Dictator" side of things.)

- It will be up to Aaron to figure out the right ratio of
"democracy", "benevolent" and "dictator" that will
encourage the project's growth. All three are needed in a careful balance.
----------------

Ondrej & Aaron

Vinzent Steinberg

May 5, 2011, 9:59:27 AM5/5/11
to sympy
On 4 Mai, 04:46, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> * Ondrej is the "project originator and owner" that has ultimate
> responsibility for the project

What does "project owner" mean?

Vinzent

Ondrej Certik

May 5, 2011, 2:32:35 PM5/5/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com

It simply means that I own and pay for the domain sympy.org and some
servers (planet.sympy.org now, builtbots before), and own the github
sympy organization account (and mailinglist) and google code, maybe
few other things too, and that I am ultimately responsible, if (in the
worse case) everybody else leaves, or deletes everything they have
access to, I can still recover pretty much everything from my backups.
I don't think that will ever be needed.

Ondrej

Vinzent Steinberg

May 7, 2011, 4:21:31 PM5/7/11
to sympy
On 5 Mai, 20:32, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> > What does "project owner" mean?
>
> It simply means that I own and pay for the domain sympy.org and some
> servers (planet.sympy.org now, builtbots before), and own the github
> sympy organization account (and mailinglist) and google code, maybe
> few other things too, and that I am ultimately responsible, if (in the
> worse case) everybody else leaves, or deletes everything they have
> access to, I can still recover pretty much everything from my backups.
> I don't think that will ever be needed.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Vinzent