Adding feature of Sylvester Matrix in Sympy

Biswesh Mohapatra

Oct 10, 2017, 4:12:11 PM10/10/17
to sympy
I have been using Sympy in for the past few weeks and want to contribute to it. I noticed that Sympy doesn't have a feature to form a sylvester matrix for 2 given univariate polynomials. Correct me if i am wrong. I would like to add this feature due to its importance in commutative algebra. Can someone guide me whether it is a good idea to add this feature?

I am new to the world of open source and have been looking to contribute to sympy. I would be thankful for any kind of help that can guide me  in contributing to the project.

Aaron Meurer

Oct 10, 2017, 7:17:37 PM10/10/17
to sy...@googlegroups.com
There is a function for this in https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/9670ff89dd8bff7878c6d636ec4f493b87d092df/sympy/polys/subresultants_qq_zz.py. However, it should perhaps be exposed in __init__.py.

Aaron Meurer

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM Biswesh Mohapatra <biswe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have been using Sympy in for the past few weeks and want to contribute to it. I noticed that Sympy doesn't have a feature to form a sylvester matrix for 2 given univariate polynomials. Correct me if i am wrong. I would like to add this feature due to its importance in commutative algebra. Can someone guide me whether it is a good idea to add this feature?

I am new to the world of open source and have been looking to contribute to sympy. I would be thankful for any kind of help that can guide me  in contributing to the project.

Message has been deleted

Biswesh Mohapatra

Oct 11, 2017, 12:54:12 PM10/11/17
to sympy
Oh I didn't realise that. Thanks for your response.